Glock Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Banned
8,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://store.affordablebrassandbullets.com/barnes-20-cal-204-32gr-hp-fb-varmint-bullets-in-stock

They are probably much heavier than a .20 pellet but much more aerodynamic. I have .177 and .22 break-barrel air rifles. I think I can buy a .20 barrel for the .22. I'd use them on a very thick squrrel populaton. I think they found a way in my attic though I don't see where. They are some big ones so it could be them hopping on the burning hot roof. I cut back all the trees near the house and pick all the fruit off the ground everyday. Anyway, I can kill the little tree rats with a crossbow, slingshot or my current air rifles but I'm curious if these would work. Getting Bill Murry on the little bastages.

· Registered
523 Posts
Depends on how much velocity you can get with the heavier pay load.

I would be concerned about over stressing the system.

Energy depends on the weight of the projectile times the velocity SQUARED.
That means the faster the pill, the greater the medicine it delivers.

Pellet guns kill by penetration, not by any kind of temporary cavity formation.

I'd ask a question like that here: http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/

· Registered
14,132 Posts
Interesting question, I have thought of this myself, and wondered why a high end jacketed/hp round is not produced for airguns. Maybe the velocity is too low to reliably show any difference. Even .22 lr has this problem.

I would measure the diameters just to be sure. Then maybe check the chamber of your airgun, these bullets may be too long to fit. They are extremely heavy compared to a pellet, I think you will be disappointed but I would try it - just have a puller handy!

· Banned
8,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My thinking was there would be no way they would expand. It would be more like an air powered dart or mini arrow. I thought I may even be able to get a few back and re-use them. I could see the seal being too tight or not tight enough and allowing air to escape around the bullet or it having too much drag for the power and getting stuck. Possibly damaging seals and who knows what else. These are big squirrels.

I have super glued bb's in the back of the pellet and loaded them backwards (BB forward) for more weight and penetration. Maybe I'll try the same with larger ball bearings in the .22 Benjamin. These things are louder than a .22 short from my 10/22 but I'd prefer to have an airgun in my hands if my neighbors ever decide to call the Deputies which they never have in 15 years and shooting my air rifles at least once every other month. I used to shoot a lot - golf and ping pong balls at 50 yards is'nt even a challenge if I'm prone or using a rest.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.