Glock Talk banner

Can the G33 (357) fire 38 cal cartriges

27014 Views 17 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Deployment Solu
I feel stupid askingb but My 357 revolver can fire 38 cal. Can the G33?
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,909 Posts

The silver cased round is 357 Magnum. The one to it's left is a 38 Special. The one to the 38 special's left is the 357 Sig

· .357 Sig
360 Posts
.357 sig is actually a .355" round (9mm). The .357 mag and .38 are both .357".

· .357 Sig
360 Posts
Unfortunately, the nature of a semi-auto does not promote the use of multiple calibres (like a wheel gun does) w/o changing barrels, extractors, ejectors, etc. (and even then it's not possible with most semi's - Glocks being the primary exception.) Having said that, I'm not certain that even the VERY few autos designed to shoot 357 Magnum will reliably or accurately fire 38SPL. Too much reliance on the extractor for head spacing and too much "leade" (a fancy rifle term referring to the unrifled part of the barrel near the chamber which can negatively affect accuracy.) Not to mention the 1/10" (or was it 1/8") difference in cartridge length which I would think would cause magazine issues.
You're signature is awesome. :rofl:

· Registered
2 Posts
I feel stupid askingb but My 357 revolver can fire 38 cal. Can the G33?
I have a glock 32 which is a .357 sig. You can easily switch to .40 and 9mm ammo by switching out the barrel. I have never fired 9mm out of mine but when I go to the range o almost always switch to the 40 cal to keep ammo costs down. I believe it's called a lone wolf conversion.

· Cuhootnified Roamer
11,890 Posts
Holy necrothread Batman! This thread ended almost 12 years ago!!!
Bravo sir. This is a record or something.
Forehead Nose Cheek Chin Gesture

· Cuhootnified Roamer
11,890 Posts
I just stumbled across it and thought I would offer my .02 😂🤣😂🤣
Everybody does it since the “suggested threads” feature was added. I’ve certainly done it too.
I am actually impressed at the elapsed time on this one though.

24,317 Posts
I feel stupid asking but My 357 revolver can fire 38 cal. Can the G33?
No. Both the 38 and the 357 magnum are rimmed, straight wall cartridges that are completely different dimensionally than the rimless, bottle necked 357 Sig cartridge which is based on the shorter, fatter 40 S&W case.

Even the bullet diameter is different. The 357 Sig is only called a 357 because it closely duplicates 357 magnum velocities with a specific bullet weight but actually it's not a 357, it's a .355, the same as a 9mm.

24,317 Posts
Holy necrothread Batman! This thread ended almost 12 years ago!!!
Bravo sir. This is a record or something.
View attachment 1040585
I wonder if the original poster is still alive to read my carefully thought-out response to his question instead of giving him a wise ass answer.

He might have already been in his 80's when he first posted this thread. I'm going to have to start checking dates from now on before I reply to any post.

· Cuhootnified Roamer
11,890 Posts
I wonder if th original poster is still alive to read my carefully thought-out response. He might have already been in hs 80's when he first posted this thread. I'm going to have to start checking dates from now on before I reply to any post.
Somebody else seeking this information can benefit from your post.
So there’s that…
But yeah, I did the same thing a couple of times so now I try to check post dates before responding.

· Making lunch
1,004 Posts
Reactions: JK-linux

· Kydex Crafter
8,135 Posts
In a word.....no!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.