Can the cell phone be "backed up"?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by M2 Carbine, Jul 25, 2018.

1. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

All I use is a "flip phone".
    AT&T is the carrier.

I really don't like being bothered with carrying a phone around all the time but my friends insist (I live alone).

This morning I couldn't find the phone.
    I like this little phone and bought a spare, for when the current one craps out (my third one).

Although I have the spare phone, the current SIM card will have been lost with the lost phone.

I asked here a while back, if we could somehow "copy" a spare SIM card, for just such an emergence. You all told me, "NO".

So, can/do you "back up" your phone info, and how do you do it?

I found the phone, but if I hadn't, I'm assuming I would have had to go the AT&T store in town and get them to "connect" my spare phone.
    Having a spare updated SIM card would be a lot easier. :)

2. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

I think ATT offers an online address book for a fee. But I’m not sure and it doesn’t really function like a backup per se. I think it’s more so you can see who you’re calling when you look at your bill.

I never backed up my flip phone, but I haven’t had a flip phone since 2008 so I don’t know if tech has changed.

3. hurley842002

hurley842002

Smart phones are unnecessary they said...... Who needs all that fancy technology they said..... I don't have any issues losing data from phone to phone, because all of my stuff is always backed up, then again, I'm not living in the bronze age, and appreciate new technology.

4. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Yeah, you sound like some of my lady friends. They keep telling me I should get a "Smart Phone". But they can't give me a single reason Why?

I am a "Gadget Freak". I don't even know how many guns and Drones I have.
    If there was any reason (even as a "toy") that I needed a "Smart Phone" I'd have the best they make.

So, how do you "back up" your "stuff"?

5. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I think, the next trip to town I'll stop in AT&T and ask them about this.

6. gunowner1

gunowner1

Please report back. I'm curious myself.

7. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

OK.

8. peng

peng

I am also curious. I've looked and gave up as I could not find a simple answer to this question or any app or software that made it simple. I did learn a few things.

a SIM card does not have much info on it. Your name, number, maybe your contacts and some call logs. Any pictures/videos/files you have will likely not be on that card.

an SD card does have all that stuff, and you can set up your phone to have everything save to that card.

I take my USB charger, plug it into my phone, plug the other end into my PC and then copy all the files over. I do it once every 3-4 months, good enough for me.

9. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

Sync it with a G Mail account. It would work with our Sprint phones.
    We use AT&T as well now, so not sure how well it works with that. Almost all of these accounts will backup in some way or another.
    Flip phone may not play well, even though most are far more capable than most realize.

Edit: I just looked and the g Mail account has all my phone contacts, but I'll have to mes with it to figure out how I would sync it back to my phone. Probably easier than I would think.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  10. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

I have a older flip phone and can download contacts/phone numbers to the sim card. I wonder if you could do this to a spare sim.

11. jdeere_man

jdeere_man CLM

It depends on the phone. Motorola and Nokia both used to have software to do that. I haven't used the Nokia software in ages nor the Motorola tools in long time. Not sure what is still supported...

12. -JCN-

-JCN-

This may not apply to you in your situation, but a smart phone is like the ultimate gadget if you are out and about away from your house. If you stay at home, then not so necessary.

Gadgety things I use my smart phone for:
    1. Being notified if home security cameras pick up anything on motion detection.
    2. Starting my car remotely when it's bitterly cold out.
    3. Checking real-time radar on weather (this has saved my bacon a number of times when road tripping... avoided some ice storms and picked a Southern route).
    4. Maps to get someplace I wasn't planning on going and using it to "find xyz near my current location."
    5. Playing any song I feel like listening to at that immediate moment.
    Plus tons of other gadgety things if you use the specific app.

13. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Yes, Smart Phones would have been THE THNG when I was working and on the road a lot and away from home every other week.

Now I seldom leave home to go to town twice a week.

Today I lost the phone out of my pocket, in the field, and didn't miss it until right before dark.

But many people can go overboard with their phones.
    A pet peeve of mine is, as soon as they sit down in a restaurant they pull out the phone and put it on the table.
    And, most of the time before the meal is over, they are on the phone, like they can't go 40 minutes without a "fix".

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    -JCN- likes this.
  14. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

The phone stores usually had a thing to copy the phone numbers from one SIM card to another (for when replacing it). You might have to buy a SIM card to not use, but can possibly have them copy it to that and keep it somewhere safe.

15. wlkjr

wlkjr

I resisted getting a smart phone for a very long time but finally relented 4 years ago. Some reasons I like mine are banking apps: I can send and receive money from my accounts and get notifications daily of balances and activity. Notepad: I keep vital info on meds, passwords, info on my mower parts and model number. GSSF app: I have all the information on the more than 60 matches I have shot since 2013. Sports apps: I can find out the schedules and game time. Weatherbug: Pretty good source of realtime storm activity and rain. Compass: Great aid in setting up my portable dish for Directv when camping.
    Food apps: Good for locating favorite eating places when traveling. Hotel apps: Lets me keep up with upcoming reservations. Travel apps: Tells how far to the next truck stop and price of diesel fuel and gas. Also locates rest areas in the interstates. Onstar remotelink: Can start car remotely or lock or unlock as necessary. Altimeter: Good for telling altitude in mountainous areas.
    Calendar: Alerts me of appointments and reminds me of times of different events..
    And of course texting family and friends. I use the voice recognition feature to avoid typing the texts. Sometimes it does not type what I said. Have to be very concise in speech.
    Sometimes I even talk on the dang thing.
    Those are a few of the reasons I like mine. Makes life a little more convenient and informative. You may not have a reason for any of those features but if you do need just ONE, then it is worth it. I got a text one Sunday morning of a big purchase on my credit card. Checked it out and found it was a fraudulent purchase. Called credit card company immediately to report it and had card stopped.
    I do not use it at the dinner table, however, to talk or text.
    Your lifestyle may not necessitate any of those features.

16. saxdm9

saxdm9 living the dream

I hadn't thought of it but perhaps #1 reason for smart phones is we can back them up easily. I hate "the cloud" generally but am glad to back up my smart phone this way. Every three or five years if I buy a new smart phone then Verizon simply dumps the image onto the new phone. Quick, complete mirror of my prior phone's contents, apps, data, everything.

17. peng

peng

For info - I found a great piece of free software that is Samsung developed to back up their phones (I have a very old S3). It's called Kies, you can get it many places online.

Install the software on your PC/laptop, connect phone with the USB charger to the PC, then the software recognizes it. I went to the backup tab, then you choose what to backup, the default is all. (pics, video's, apps, settings, files, logs, calendar, contacts etc etc). Click the button and it all backs up quickly.

There is also a restore button that puts all the stuff back on the phone. Have not used that yet but the backup went very well.

buster55 likes this.
  18. handloader109

handloader109

Get a better phone. IF you have decent cell service. Both banks I use have apps that allow you to scan and upload checks for deposit. Way quick and easy. Has saved me a lot of time and gas as I use for small business and take checks a lot. 14 miles to and and from bank or a minute on the phone.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

19. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Yeah, the modern "toys" are very useful (and fun) and as I said earlier, if I had any use for one I'd have the best I could find. :)