close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dismiss Notice

You are browsing the classified section of GlockTalk.com, by doing so you agree to follow the terms of service.

http://www.glocktalk.com/pages/classifieds-tos/

Can someone school me...

Discussion in 'What Happened To My Want Ads Area?' started by Thirdeye, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Thirdeye

Thirdeye

on buying firearms online? I dont understand all this lingo used around here: FFT, FOID, BTT

For instance, what the heck are they talking about in this thread?
    http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=611770

Do you have to have an FFL or FFT to buy a firearm online?

2. wildhunter

wildhunter

Oh what the heck I'll take a swing at some of this but take responsiblity to learn and abide by all your local laws as well as federal laws.

BTT stands for back to the top and is what sellers post when they have no more information to add but just want their ad to appear on the top of the page again as having a new post in it.

FTF stands for Face to Face, meaning that there will be no shipping and the deal will be a legal private party transaction in person.

FOID is Illinois "Firearms Owners ID" which is their version of a permit to purchase. Some sellers who live in states that require permits to purchase a particular firearm from an FFL also require the same (presumably to ward off Felons or other shady transactions).

How to buy online is a big topic but remember that you must obey all local laws as well as federal laws. From my experience most transactions have the firearm sent to a local FFL who processes the paperwork and does the check with the feds for a (hopefully) nominal fee. (Mine charges $10 but in CA it can be really high). There are exceptions to this but they are rare enough that you don't have to worry about it.