close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Can rem 6 1/2 small rifle primers be safely used in place of small pistol p

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by ricky_arthur, Mar 20, 2010.

1. ricky_arthur

ricky_arthur

Can rem 6 1/2 small rifle primers be safely used in place of small pistol primers? I saw someone post that they were doing such and wondered about the possibilty of doing so. How does the pressure and cup hardness compare? I have a few thousand rem 6 1/2 primers I picked up before I found out they weren't recommended for use in .223. That coupled with a shortage of Small pistol primers causes me to look for a safe way to shoot the 6 1/2 SR primers.

say for a plinking load that I currently shoot at 5.5 grains of bullseye. It's a pretty mild load so would say, 5.0 gr and a rem 71/2 primer be similar?

Just wondering if anyone has tried this.

2. chris in va

chris in va

The other guys can definitively tell you, but I asked this same question to a dealer selling primers and he said the rifle primer will be a bit taller and not sit flush with the pistol case. I passed on buying them.

3. BurkGlocker

BurkGlocker Texas Redneck

Very true. I pulled out my LR primers by accident when loading up some .45 ACP and after priming the cases, I noticed that the primer was sitting up a little higher than the rest of my past loads. I only loaded up 5 rounds like this, but honestly, I didnt see or feel anything different while shooting them.

BG

4. srd

srd

The primer cup is a little thicker in most cases on rifle primers. I use them in my 9x21 EAA but the firing pin isnt stock. When i chrono the loads the SD seems to be more cosistent with the loads i use. I loaded up a few for my Glock 37 with rifle primers just to try them and they all functrioned.

5. torrejon224

torrejon224

I have done it on some 9mm and 45acp loads when the primer shortage was really bad. I found that Starline and Fiocchi brass worked best but in terms of powder you need to start at the low end of the scale and slowly work your way up. There is a lot of info available on this topic. A Google search turns up tons of info on ths topic. As noted you may/may not need to use a heavier firing pin spring. Good luck!

6. MoNsTeR

MoNsTeR

LARGE pistol and rifle primers are not physically interchangeable but SMALL primers are.

Many people successfully and safely use small rifle in pistol loads. I've only just started doing this myself, due to market conditions, and haven't gone over my chrono results with a fine statistical comb yet, but the difference in velocities is very small.

7. garander

garander

thats cool monster that you can use the small rifle if you need to.

i just loaded up some nice 38s with titegroup and cci small magnum primers
    and they were fine

8. nitesite10mm

nitesite10mm Proud Husband

Thank you for providing the correct answer.

Rem 6-1/2s are for .22 Hornet rifle loads only. They are perfectly suitable small primers for casual/plinking handgun loads. The primer cup thickness is almost indisguishable between them as is the brisance.

Large primers are different heights between pistol and rifle and should not be interchanged, not only for the height but for the energy they produce.

9. idahoglock36

idahoglock36

I cannot believe Remington would release primers for a .22 Hornet only! Who shoots a .22 Hornet anyway...I think my dad knew somebody that my grandfather knew that had a hornet....seriously when is the last time someone saw a hornet for sale? Outside of the few...how many of the rest of you have shot a hornet (.22 that is). I can not believe Remington would still produce 6.5 primers if there were only for the hornet.

Now to tell you my side. I made the mistake of buying 5k of these at Cabelas...It seems they have a lot of 6.5 primers. They worked just fine for me in .223 and .204. I didn't even know you couldn't use them until I ran into another thread, here or THR. After all they said "Small Rifle" so they got used in a small rifle....I'll have to go look on the packaging, I know I saw somewhere that they are indeed not to be used in .223. What an idiot at the Remington Plant that makes a primer for small rifle and they adds a small disclaimer not to be used in the most popular small rifles-we really didn't mean "that" small rifle (and Remington knowing puts out millions of these primers monthly when the demand for hornet primers is probably 200 pieces (rounds each month)....I don't get it....I don't get it at all.

I am happy to report that I did pick up some CCI SRM primers to be replace the Remington....now the Remington 6.5 can move to the pistol pile.

Anyway sorry for the Rant carry on! (Except for the retread at the Remington plant that has a fetish for making a million or more hornet primers a month that no one can use....he can go pound sand).

10. fredj338

fredj338

Theoreticaly, you can swap primers, but not w/o backing down & working the load back up. If you think it doesn't matter, have a look. Rifle primers are quite a bit hotter.
    http://www.6mmbr.com/PrimerPix.html

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  11. srd

srd

As far as a .22 Hornet is concerned ? I own 2..for my Contendor...22 Hornet and a 22 K Hornet. But on the flip side of the coin you are correct i am a grandfather. Before primer and powder prices went up it was cheaper to reload them to 22 Magnum specs than buy the 22 mag cartridge. Great squirrel and short range gound hog load.

12. mineralman55

mineralman55

I would not recommend putting the small rifle primers into small pistol cartridges. Why? I accidentally did that several months ago, putting CCI small rifle primers into my light, .357 target loads. There was no ka-boom, accuracy didn't suffer, but about 60% of the rounds wouldn't fire under double action pulls. They needed single action to fire. I couldn't figure out why my stone-reliable 586 would act this way, so I went back to my loading book and discovered my mistake (always keep detailed records, including lot numbers of components!!!) I brought my gun to a trusted gunsmith to have it checked out. It was fine, but he said among other important differences, small rifle primers are significantly harder than small pistol primers and require more impact to ignite the powder.

Stick to the proper primers for your rounds. You'll be happier in the long run.

13. DoctaGlockta

DoctaGlockta

I have put a SR primer into a 45ACP case that for some reason had small primers (I did not have any SP primers around). Fiocchi case if I remember. Fired without mishap. Will not make this a common practice on my bench. But if in a pinch I had to I would.

14. gunsgunsgunsgun

gunsgunsgunsgun

When loading with small rifle primers you need to load light since the primer burns hotter. Also as stated the primers are harder and need a good hit to go off. With the remington keep an eye on the primer pocket of spent cases. If you are seeing any gas vented/leaked from the primer you can damage the breech face of the gun.(the reason they are not to be loaded in 223) I had this happen when loading with remington small rifle primers and my 40. There was a small amount of flashburn/pitting where the gas had leaked out onto the breech face. Small winchester rifle primers did not have this problem when I used them. With this said I have loaded several 1000 with small rifle primers in small pistols.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  15. DoctaGlockta

DoctaGlockta

:wow: Oh oh. I've been using them for 223 in my AR15 for about 600 rounds.

16. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Footlong Jr.

I use Rem 6 1/2 in 38 special, work just fine.

I got a deal on 1k of them.

17. MoNsTeR

MoNsTeR

In case anyone's interested the difference between Magtech SP and SR in my 9mm minor load is 4fps.

18. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Yep I've done it, reduce your load and use a chrony to make sure your load is safe! As with any component change you have to start load testing all over!:supergrin:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  19. tyger006

tyger006

Well, I don't own one. Maybe that's because I am not a grandpa yet either. However, in my neck of the desert there are quite a few Hornet lovers. It's kinda like the .30-30-- Not powerful in comparison to most modern chamberings in it's caliber class, but has a very loyal group of followers who love it's inherent accuracy, low noise and recoil signature, and very, very low powder consumption. It really does get a lot done for how small it it, very efficient.

I may not own or even consider buying one, but I can see good reason for owning and shooting the Hornet. I do agree that making a separate primer specifically for a rather less popular cartridge is a bit of a mystery however.

20. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt

What? Doesn't Wal Mart sell 22 Hornet ammo any longer? Seriously, the Hornet is a sweet little cartridge. It'll push a 45 grn bullet @ 2600+ fps with less than 10 grains of powder. Not everyone needs a 22 Eargesplitten Laudenboomer!