Glock Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
5 year in with Glocks
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are 3rd party conversions for the .40 S&W and .357 SIG Glocks but do Glock OEM barrels work fine too, or better?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Nope. Well, physically, but it won't eject and will probably jam. Also, the muzzle end of the .40 slide will be too large for the 9mm barrel...

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

·
Banned
5,668 Posts
I know there are 3rd party conversions for the .40 S&W and .357 SIG Glocks but do Glock OEM barrels work fine too, or better?

No, get a conversion barrel. You can possibly wreck your slide with the extra clearance that way if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Pretty sure the mags are are the same, just stamped different for the caliber.
I've used the G-32 mag in my G-23 many times.
Followers are different.
There's a lot of discussion over whether the followers really matter.
You can put either followers in either mag.
Both mags/followers will work with either caliber.
Some think there might be an occasional FTF issue with the wrong followers.
Don't know if it's true, but for SD it's cheap insurance to use the right followers.
Plus it's recommended to use the right caliber mags to not get the ammo confused.

I have to pose the question -
If it doesn't matter, then why has Glock designed, still uses,
and continues to develop next versions of different followers for 357 and 40?

·
Senile Member
803 Posts
Followers are different.
There's a lot of discussion over whether the followers really matter.
You can put either followers in either mag.
Both mags will work with either caliber.
Some think there might be an occasional FTF issue with the wrong followers.
Don't know if it's true, but for SD it's cheap insurance to use the right followers.
Plus it's recommended to use the right caliber mags to not get the ammo confused.

Yep-and the feed lips on the mags are a little differant too. I've used both interchangably with no issues but for carry I use the same caliber mags and barrels.

·
Registered
69 Posts
This question has been asked of Master Glock Armorer Cope Reynolds several times. I found one of his responses and quote him below:

04-12-2009, 11:25 PM
Technically, you are supposed to use a conversion barrel but you can use a stock barrel and get along just fine. There is only about .020" difference in the diameter. The stock bbl will shoot just a tad high but it will run like a top.

·
Registered
188 Posts
This question has been asked of Master Glock Armorer Cope Reynolds several times. I found one of his responses and quote him below:

04-12-2009, 11:25 PM
Technically, you are supposed to use a conversion barrel but you can use a stock barrel and get along just fine. There is only about .020" difference in the diameter. The stock bbl will shoot just a tad high but it will run like a top.
I am by no means a master Glock armorer, but I am quite sure that in the gen4 Glocks, the ejectors are different. IF you were to swap out the .40 trigger housing assembly for a 9mm trigger housing assembly, than yes, it may work.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have a Gen3 G23, a 40. I have been told on GT that there is no difference between the Gen3 and Gen4 barrels. I have an LWD 9mm conversion and an LWD 357 Sig conversion. i use 9mm mags with the 9mm barrel and the G23 mags with the 357 Sigs. Both work well. My gun is fairly new and still has a stiff recoil spring. It doesn't like 115g 9mm WWB. I get a stove pipe about every 50 rounds. 124g 9mm's shoot just fine, no FTEs. No other mods to the gun. I don't know about 357 Sig mags shooting 40s. Anyone with a G31/G32 want to chime in? I believe all of the barrel makers issue life time warranties. The price is why I chose LWD. Also, I believe that the LWD barrels are fully supported or close to it, not that I can tell the difference when shooting.

·
Registered
9,247 Posts
KKM and Barsto.
I'd agree with that. Lone Wolf is the only brand I know of that definitely doesn't need to be fitted by a gunsmith, they're purely drop-in. I've never heard of a KKM barrel needing to be fitted but it's a possibility. Bar-sto will probably need to be fitted, and Storm Lake may need to be fitted as well. Many aftermarket barrels are oversized in certain dimensions to achieve better and more consistent accuracy, those oversized areas need to be filed down for the specific gun they're going to be used in.

The only complaint I've heard about Lone Wolf barrels is that they have a tighter chamber, and sometimes people need to send the barrel back to have the chamber widened slightly for better reliability, though that's rare.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
I have been told on GT that there is no difference between the Gen3 and Gen4 barrels.
Yes and no.
There is a difference under the barrel where the spring is resting for installation. The Gen4 barrels have a larger cutout than earlier.
Does it matter? Not IMO, we put the spring in the cutout during assembly. Once the slide is on, the spring rests on the frame not the barrel and it no longer matters. I have not heard of any problems with that arrangement or using a Gen3 G19 barrel in a G26 which is one way to have a threaded OEM barrel in the G26.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.