close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

can not sleep

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RWBlue, Jan 2, 2010.

1. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

I should be sleeping, but .....

2. arclight610

arclight610

Me neither, as I had like 4 cups of coffee an hour back. Wife wakes up in 3 hours (6am Eastern) to go to work. But hey, it's not like I have to work tomorrow.

3. Fiery Red XIII

Fiery Red XIII Adorkable CLM

Sleep leads to nightmares that are too real, or great dreams that seem real that crush your heart when you realise they are not real.

Red

4. kilroy2981

kilroy2981

Im trying to quit smoking, havent had one in 6 hours 42 seconds. Needless to say, I cant sleep either

5. arclight610

arclight610

My wife has been having terrible nightmares for the past few days. I hear her wimper in her sleep, cry out "help", and she says she wakes up scared. The only problem is... she can't remember what the dreams are about. Odd.

6. Fiery Red XIII

Been there/done that. Sleep aids didn't help (benadryl/generics of it even make me hyper, trazadone just made me dizzy).

Try to comfort/soothe her, and hopefully it will come in short waves. Try meds if they are effective, great (if it progresses to disrupting her life).

As far as not remembering, that is how it is for me 90% of my nightmares/cold sweats.

Red

7. Fiery Red XIII

Does she go to sleep with music or TV on? If so, or if not, just do classical/instrumental stuff...I've even fallen asleep watching a movie, dreamt sounds from the movie, and woke up to see it playing where my dream left off. What works for me is slow orchestra stuff (and/or songs that bring good memories...that may eliminate the nightmares, but bring back past memories/regrets when like I said, the dream isn't real if it's a good 1)...here's a few songs/links to try (that work for me):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-D65Uhp5fY&feature=related
    (FFXI Distant worlds, by Nobuo Uematsu)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfwJ...2C5094F5&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=13
    (Key Of the Twilight, .hack anime)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suyCi-xdjNo
    Final Fantasy Chaos Temple

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGjASUhSct8
    Scorpions w/Berlin philharmonic:Wind of Change

Red

8. Cheseldine

Cheseldine Texan

I can't sleep either. Are there any foods you can eat or anything you can drink to help fall asleep? I don't want to take medicine or some sort of pills...

9. Fiery Red XIII

turkey (for the tryptophan...nt sure on that spelling) There are herbal pills OTC, can't remember the name, starts w/an "M". as far as drinks, avoid caffine, sugar, and yes, even alcohol. Best routine is to start winding down/relaxing before going to bed, for at least an hour.

Red

10. Cheseldine

Cheseldine Texan

Thanks, I've always been pretty healthy (haven't gotten sick in about 4-5 years and i'm 20) so the whole medicine thing isn't for me. I'll give the turkey a try though. I've never been able to fall asleep easily.

11. as400guy1

as400guy1

Been having insomnia for a while now.

I get really tired in the afternoon and take a nap. I guess that's whats aking it hard to sleep at night. Kind of a vicious circle.

12. Fiery Red XIII

It does, and sometimes, napping makes you more tired than before the nap!

Red

13. eforney

eforney

I like that. Oh yeah can't sleep either.

14. Fiery Red XIII

15. AA#5

AA#5

You can forget about sleeping tonight! I quit 28 years ago (after 3 attempts). It was the hardest thing I've ever done. The first night I walked around the house all night.

16. Fiery Red XIII

I am lucky, never liked cigarettes...most cigars I've ever had is 2 in a month. My friend had massive headaches for 10 days (3 years of solid smoking), fought cravings after that for 3 months, he hates the smoke now. He did 100% cold turkey.

Red

17. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

melatonin. it does help some.

so do ambien.

18. marlinfan

marlinfan

My sleep schedule is all messed up. I've been working outside in the garage and shoveling snow during the holiday vacation here, so I'm physically exhausted after supper. I fell asleep last night at 8:30pm and then wide-awake at 4:30am....3 hours before anyone else in the house.

I do have to take the dog for a walk, it's -8F with a windchill of -26F. Should be a fun walk.

19. PBCounty

PBCounty

7&7....cheap, legal and no script.

20. roy hobbs

roy hobbs Infidel

sleep is for others...

stay away from chocolate, nothing to eat or drink except water for at least 4 hours before you try to go to sleep...

I haven't slept well in 30 years, been the medication route, that's a temporary solution at best.

I was an over the road truck driver for the better part of my adult life. It puts you in situations where you have to sleep when you're not tired. If you can find a dark quiet place where you can lay down with your eyes closed and not move, you can get enough rest to function, even if you can't sleep. This is very difficult to do but it does work.

My brother is still a truck driver and he can't sleep either. He takes melatonin which does help but you build up a tolerance in less than a month and you will have to stop taking it for about a month for it to do you any good.