Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Tactically Epic
13,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a g43x I've tested shield arms mags in. I get an occasional failure to return to battery or sluggish return. In my experience thats usually a bad recoil spring. Factory 10 rounders don't ever have the same issue though. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
6,331 Posts
Indirectly. Yes.

Double feed and FTFs can be caused by mag spring and tuning (lip of mag) issues.

Not saying it’s common. But I have seen it for myself.

·
Semper Paratus
28,538 Posts
yes, out of spec mags can sit too high in the magazine well causing more drag on the slide

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
When I was on a church armed security team, our team leader was a SWAT guy for a local good sized PD, and an excellent firearms instructor. He always maintained that magazines are the number 1 cause of weapons malfunctions. And that was why he preached always carrying a spare mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,191 Posts
Sure, mags can contribute. The G42's went through a few iterations to get the gun reliable (follower #3, etc.). If the factory works, and third party doesn't, I would certainly look at the magazines. As noted above, if it rubs and drags on the slide, it may cause issues. Any reason for the Shield Arms Mags? How much time do you want to invest troubleshooting something you may have little control over (magazine shape/design)?

Reactions: Bill Keith

·
Tactically Epic
13,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sure, mags can contribute. The G42's went through a few iterations to get the gun reliable (follower #3, etc.). If the factory works, and third party doesn't, I would certainly look at the magazines. As noted above, if it rubs and drags on the slide, it may cause issues. Any reason for the Shield Arms Mags? How much time do you want to invest troubleshooting something you may have little control over (magazine shape/design)?
I got shield mags after positive reviews online. 15 rounds vs 10 is attractive but only if it works.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently had an issue with a couple of mags for my G23. These were some of my oldest (15 years) and had seen a lot of use at the range. The first 4-5 rounds were OK and then had s FTF. Ejected the mag and cleared the round. You could manually feed the next round but each round thereafter was FTF. Experimented by ordering some new mag springs and installing them. The problem appeared to be solved. These were the only mags that had that issue. Apparently excessive use/wear had weakened the spring sufficiently to cause an issue.

·
NRA Benefactor
5,530 Posts
If it was the mag, I would think it would most likely occur when the mag is fully loaded or when it is almost empty. The first would be because the mag spring is under the most pressure and the last would be due to a bad feed angle for the last cartridges though a bad feed angle could occur anytime in the magazine based on spring tension, magazine lips, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts