close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Can I network with CAT5 and ethernet cards?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by charlisity, Jun 6, 2006.

1. charlisity

charlisity is full of it

I have two computers with ethernet cards and I was given 100ft cat5 cable. Is it possible to network these two computers with just this?

2. LittleLebowski

LittleLebowski Urban Achiever!

Yes. Google for crossover cable.

3. aspartz

aspartz

Some modern NICs are "smart" enough to do this for you!!!

ARS

4. pyblood

pyblood

You can make a crossover cable with that cable that you were given, but are trying to do more than just share files? If you want to share internet, I recommend getting a router or a switch. They can be gotten pretty cheap and you can use that cable to make some regular Cat5e cables.

5. colsankey

colsankey

If your doing PC to PC the best option as has been mentioned is to create a cross-over cable. Your just shifting a pair of wires when you crimp the ends and its a pretty simple job.

Theres maximum lengths suggested for transmitting data, so if you dont need 100 feet I'd definately cut down that cable too.

Arey you going to hook these 2 PCs up to the internet or just to each other? A few more details of your plans would go along way towards making suggestions or pointing out some "gotchas".

6. charlisity

charlisity is full of it

I thought it would be nice to share the printer and the internet connection. Googling crossover cable lead me to a Microsoft ICS configuration page.

It looks like basic internet will work but according to the site, "it has no logging capabilities and no filtering features. In addition, advanced applications like h.323 (netmeeting) and VPNs refuse to work with it."

I'm going to try this when I get home.

7. pyblood

pyblood

Since you would like to share printers and internet, I recommend getting a router. Here’s a decent one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127013

As far as the cables go, if you have the tools (crimp tool & cable ends) I say go for it. If you don’t I recommend just picking up some cables from your local computer store. They shouldn’t be more than a few bucks a piece. DO NOT go to some retail stores like Wal-Mart to pick them up. You’ll pay an arm and a leg.

8. charlisity

charlisity is full of it

The cable is complete with the ends installed.

9. pyblood

pyblood

I got you. You got a cable that was already made. You won’t be able to network two computers together with that cable unless it’s a crossover cable. You’ll need the router and some regular Cat5e cables. It should cost you around $40 for the router and some cables.

You do have high speed (cable or DSL) internet don’t you?

10. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

If your using W98Se or WinME and a dail-up it will work but it will be a little tedious setting it up, sharing the internet with dial-up is a real dog.

If you have W2K or WXP on one PC it is still a dog with dial-up but easier to setup to share the web.

If you have two network cards and a DSL or cable MODEM then check the MODEM for an extra Cat5 port.

Otherwise a cheap $25.00 hub or $35.00 DSL/Cable router will work fine.

Check here on GT by searching for some previous reviews of equipment. There are a few routers you need to stay away from! :shocked:

11. charlisity

charlisity is full of it

I have one pc with two ethernet cards that connects to the net with DSL. I have another pc with one ethernet card and I also have a 100 foot cable with this kind of tip on it:

http://www.scsicablesource.com/images/c5xadap-rj45m.jpg

Edited to add: Both computers have XP.

12. pyblood

pyblood

Just how far will the PCs be away from each other? Will you actually need that 100ft cable to network them together?

It really doesn’t matter because that is not too long of a cable.

You should pick up a router and a couple more cables. You may be able to get away with buying a switch over a router, but it depends on what kind of DSL modem you have. I know that the Westell modems will let you use a switch because they are both a router and DSL modem.

Update: I just read your post again. You can uses internet connection sharing if you want to. I think that a router and the cables is a better/easier idea.

What OS are you running on the 2 PCs?

13. charlisity

charlisity is full of it

They will be about 25 feet away but I want to run the cable under the house to keep it out of sight.

14. pyblood

pyblood

What was I thinking? Why not go wireless? That way you don’t have to drill holes in your floor. Even if you don’t go wireless right now, I recommend getting a wireless router and just disabling the radio. A wireless router isn’t that much more expensive than a regular router.

I think that we have some up with some solutions. You can use your current stuff and it will work. You’ll need to set up internet connection sharing the PC with 2 NICs and run that cable to the 2nd PC.

Or

You can buy a router and share the internet connection that way. You’ll need an extra cat5e cable. I recommend this over the internet connection sharing.

15. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

if you've already got a 100ft of Cat 5 cable, and easy access under the house to run to the other PC, I see no reason not to just use the cable. I'm not a big fan of Wireless. To many security issues.

Here's the quick and easy.

Get a Router.. I have and prefer Netgear FVS114 because they are very easy to set up in my opinion. Get a Router with a hardware firewall also. They aren't anymore expensive, and they will improve your network security. Only difference between mine and the one below, is the one below is 8 ports, mine is 4. If you don't get Netgear, I'd recommend Linksys. I would stay away from SMC, I got one because it was cheap, and was more than disappointed with its firewall.

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/FVS114.php

Get a short Cat 5 cable(enough to get from wherever you put the router, to the PC in that location).

Unplug DSL Ethernet cable from Modem to PC, and plug the Modems Ethernet cable into the "modem" port on the router.

Run the short cable, from Port 1, to the computer by the router.

Plug the 100ft Ethernet cable into port 2, run into crawlspace, or whatever, and bring up by other PC, plug into ethernet port.

Follow the included instructions on setting up your router to recognize your internet connection. I know its a little different with DSL than it is with Cable, but its a fairly painless process, and is explained well in the manual.

Its very easy, and I set mine up in all of about 10-15min. I've got 2 PC's and an X-Box on mine, and it runs fine.

Edit: Stateful packet inspection is a must on any router firewall... Just thought I'd add that. Here's another good one... http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1533857&CatId=584

Good luck
    IGF