Can I "massage" the front sight on a Ruger Wrangler to get the windage a bit closer?

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by astepup, Jan 16, 2020.

1. astepup

astepup

As some may know I recently picked up a bronze Wrangler that shoots a bit right of POA. I'm not too concerned with elevation but I don't like using "Kentucky windage" on anything. Not sure if I can or even should try to bend the sight to the right a bit to bring it closer to where I'd like it. I do have a pretty decent local gunsmith that can maybe do something with it but thought I'd ask here first. Feasible or am I asking for trouble?

2. NoStress

NoStress

fflincher and FullClip like this.

3. MajorD

MajorD

With old fixed sight single actions the best way is to tighten the barrel a bit further in the frame. One of the cowboy shooting books had a section on this. Not sure if the wrangler would hold up to this method

fflincher likes this.
  4. 4Rules

4Rules

Anybody can find somebody willing to provide a massage; it's finding the massage with a 'happy ending' which might be a bit less common. We've all read (successful) stories about vises and lead pipes, to 'tweak' this or 'correct' that, and I once watched a guy do it. 'Tweak' it a tisch too far, however, and, well... you might wish you hadn't.

FullClip likes this.
  5. 4Rules

4Rules

fflincher and Borg Warner like this.
  6. Berto

Berto woo woo

Besides the obvious 'make sure it's not you', I'd try ruger first before tweaking the front sight or tightening the bbl.
    They will issue you an RMA # and email a shipping label, then you FedEx it off to them.

fflincher and FullClip like this.
  7. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

8. ede

ede

I took a file with me to the range, sat up a target and filed a couple strokes at a time then shot it again until it was hitting where I wanted.

9. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

Does the Wrangler owners manual suggest any do it yourself sight adjustment?

the Heritage Rough Rider manual states that minor tweaks in windage can be accomplished with minor and gentle tapping (bending) the front sight. I had to do this with one of mine; I’m not thrilled with the outcome, to get it on target the front sight is noticeably bent. Then I have another one that required nothing in terms of adjustment.

10. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

Have some other people shoot it to make sure it's not just how you're holding the gun, and then send it back to Ruger.

Terry G and FullClip like this.
  11. bac1023

bac1023

This ^^^

12. Bradley T

Bradley T

Me, I'd just "Kentucky" it a little. Different loads seem to move around to different p.o.i. anyway. Sending it to Ruger is a good idea, but I wouldn't bother with that unless I really had to. I wouldn't file on it or "clock" the barrel around in there either. I'd just live with it hitting right a little.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I recall a S&W armorer, back in the revolver days, telling me that S&W taught him, for fixed sight revolvers, you whack the barrel with a rubber hammer until it gets where you want it.

Bradley T likes this.
  14. Scott60

Scott60

Advice to use hammers and wrenches on an alloy frame revolver seem a bit aggressive just to correct a bit of windage error.
    If you have one, use a frame rail file, and if you don't, make one by purchasing a 10 inch fine cut file from Home Depot or wherever. Use a Dremel with cut-off wheel and frequent quenching to smooth one edge of the file. The reason you want a larger file is to prevent flexing.
    Put tape on the barrel and if you're trying to move the impact to the left, file the left side of the front sight with the newly smoothed edge running across the tape. Ideally you would have the gun barrel held in a vice so you can view from above as you take material off. Before you start, use a dial caliper to record the front sight's thickness and check it frequently as you carefully make long strokes along the side.
    The idea is that as you remove material on the left side of the sight blade, when you center it in the rear groove, the muzzle will be slightly farther left, thus moving the impact left. You can also file the top of the front sight blade to bring the strike of the rounds up.

Something to try BEFORE you go to work with tools: When you sight the gun, if there is enough light gap on either side of the front sight, apply a piece of blue painter's tape to the RIGHT side of the front side blade and check impact. Add another if needed until the gun is hitting dead on. Then you KNOW it's the sight and how to proceed for a more permanent fix.

PattonWasRight likes this.