Glock Talk banner

Can I lookup my SC CWP license status?

43K views 52 replies 32 participants last post by  Campbell 
#1 ·
Hello, I just applied for my SC CWP and have been told and heard a lot of different things about current processing time frames.

The guy that took my prints at Identogo said 2-4 weeks.
A guy at the local gun shop said he applied for his over 4 months ago. I have read that SLED has 90 days to print it but it could be longer factoring in the time they have to get it to the license holder after printing.

Then I heard it depends on if I do a paper application vs having went through Identogo.

Does anyone have an idea of the approximate current processing time for someone who submitted their prints and paperwork through Identogo?

Also, is there a place or way to look up my license. Like an account somewhere within the SLED website to see the status of my application and/or any changes to it?

I'm excited and impatient. I'm also planning a back country trip in September and hoping I have it before hand.

Thanks in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
sorry I am just seeing this. I see the old age of the thread. to my knowledge SLED does not have a way to check your status. the SLED website is also circa 2001. they are also difficult to get a hold of.

they have been chronically backlogged for as long as I can recall (got mine in 15). it was a 6 month ETA then. I do think they have streamlined it some, and gotten a bit quicker.

SC just changed our CWP / open carry laws and eased the restrictions some as well. so I am sure they are about neck deep in apps right now.

a quick peak at their website shows at end of year 2020 there are 418k CWP holders out there. in 2020 alone, 100k were issued. that gives you the idea of how much they are processing daily.

be patient and let me know if you need anything or have any questions.

#3 ·
Hello, I just applied for my SC CWP and have been told and heard a lot of different things about current processing time frames.

The guy that took my prints at Identogo said 2-4 weeks.
A guy at the local gun shop said he applied for his over 4 months ago. I have read that SLED has 90 days to print it but it could be longer factoring in the time they have to get it to the license holder after printing.

Then I heard it depends on if I do a paper application vs having went through Identogo.

Does anyone have an idea of the approximate current processing time for someone who submitted their prints and paperwork through Identogo?

Also, is there a place or way to look up my license. Like an account somewhere within the SLED website to see the status of my application and/or any changes to it?

I'm excited and impatient. I'm also planning a back country trip in September and hoping I have it before hand.

Thanks in advance
Curious how long it ended up taking you to get your permit?
Taking the class this weekend, wondering what to expect.

#4 ·
Just in case anyone stumbles across this thread. I took my SC CWP class on Feb 12, did my prints and such at Identogo on Feb 15. My CWP came yesterday March 3. Pretty quick turn around for it. My permit shows Feb 16th on it so my guess is it took 2 weeks for SLED to get it printed and mailed out.

#11 ·
I had some issues of overlapping expiration.

I emailed SLED, voiced my concerns, and was put to the top of the stack.

I literally had it about 5 days after I sent the message.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

#12 ·
I live in South Carolina. I took the CCW course, got fingerprinted and mailed in all the required paperwork and fees. Next week will be my 90-day mark. I have also heard mixed things about the turnaround times with receiving your card. Some say a couple months, and some have received it within two weeks. From my understanding they all go to the same place. So why the different turnaround times??

#24 ·
I am caller number 19 to find out the status of my renewal submitted through IdentoGO. It is days short of the 90 days supposedly customery for processing if renewed online. My son submitted his around the same day I did. When he phoned about the status, the agent stated that he would send the renewal the next day in the mail. We are both very confused. Why did it take a phone inquiry to get it mailed?

#25 · (Edited)
I’m seeing this late as I am just joining this forum. I will give what I can on this subject. I’ve had my CWP for 30+ years. When I originally got mine, we were all told that it would take roughly 90 days for our permits to arrive. Mine arrived just inside the 90 days time frame. Granted those were the days of paper where they also did your prints on actual fingerprint cards at the end of the class. Back then, those who were teaching CWP classes were all law enforcement people. Now, there are many different people who teach classes and different ways of getting your information together to send to SLED. Now, our permits last longer than they did and where we can and can’t carry has changed. Plus, there is the new open carry for CWP owners.

Times have changed. We are being threatened more and more every day. Those who value protection should take a CWP class and obtain the permit. I got mine originally because I was being personally threatened by a few people. I was being accused of doing something I wasn’t doing. I felt the need to be able to legally protect myself against any threats. I didn’t carry on me back then, but I got my CWP to legally carry in my vehicle without issues. Now, I do both.

I’m sure you have your permit by now and I’m not sure how long it took it to arrive for you. I can tell you this, now that you have it, to renew it is much easier than it used to be as well. Before we had to do all paper just as we did to originally get it. Now you can reapply online and it doesn’t take quite as long. Just remember to apply with the 90 days the expiration date on your permit. If the regulations are still the same, as long as you have reapplied for your renewal permit, when yours expires, it is still good for 10-15 days. After that, you have to wait on your new one to arrive. That’s why it is important to reapply far enough in advance.

If I had one best word of advice for newer CWP owners, it would be this, stay INFORMED! Stay up on the gun laws. There are many apps and groups out there for gun laws from state to state. I am a member of USCCA for 15+ years. They have an app for gun laws that is very good. They also provide legal services for you should you ever have to defend yourself with your weapon. Another thing I do each time it is time to renew my permit, I sit thru another CWP class. Then I reapply online. I always use the same one. They usually give me a discount knowing what I’m doing. It helps me stay up on the gun laws that have changed that I may not have heard about. STAY INFORMED. What you don’t know, can and will bite you in the future.

#32 ·
Are you all first timers or are you renewing?

I forgot and let my permit expire around November and took the class again January 7th. Did identgo the 8th and all they wanted was driver license. I was hoping it would go fast and was a little annoyed I hadn't gotten it yet but this thread makes me think they are very backed up. I was hoping a simple renewal would be quick.

#41 ·
I know this is a year later, but my wife and I both moved from Boston to SC, any time we have purchased a firearm, her check comes back in like 15min, mine always gets delayed. Not sure why, maybe I have a more common name, and so they have to make sure I am who I am, but guessing the same will happen, we just did Identogo yesterday. I bet she will get hers first, just like when we have a normal bg check for purchase.