Can I insure and drive someone else's car?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by HollowHead, Oct 3, 2018.

1. G33

G33 Frisky! Millennium Member CLM

Tell the attorney to handle it himself.
    Jeez...not your money...and resign from job you did not prep for or want?
    :)

2. railfancwb

railfancwb

In my situation I’m the sole family member, owner, and resident. Have two two-wheel and two four-wheel vehicles tagged for street use. Must have four liability policies. Even though I can only be on the road with one at a time.

Sometimes my daughter or son-in-law will drive one of the vehicles, but they have their own vehicles and insurance. Don’t know whose policy would pay if one of them was driving one of my vehicles and had an at fault incident.

And note that none of the policies include collusion because of the ages of the vehicles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

treg likes this.

3. railfancwb

railfancwb

If I could manage this, it would justify liability policies on each vehicle.

[​IMG]

Open the sun roof and stand on the hump in the van and I would be good to go. Or stand in the bed behind the cab in the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

treg likes this.
  4. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

I don't think auto insurance covers collusion, anyway. That's generally illegal. :supergrin:

5. dudel

dudel

^^^ This. I'm under the impression that if I drive other vehicles on an exception basis, my insurance covers me.

When I buy a car, and I drive them home before they are on my insurance.

-JCN- likes this.
  6. Robert Cohen

Robert Cohen

Check out a DOC policy. Normally comes with full comprehensive coverage.

7. cbetts1

cbetts1

1: Find out if relatives insurance policy is still good. If yes, ok to drive but verify with their carrier.
    2: If policy expired, call your agent and verify your coverage. (you should be covered). If relatives car is high end, make sure your insurance has Collision, comprehensive and liability. Many people with older cars only have liability.
    3: If registration is expired, you should be able to get short term reg for travel from DMV/DPS
    4: If you have something that can pull a car trailer, rent a uhaul car trailer and pull car home.

I don't think you need to add to a policy yourself. That is when the insurable interest thing will kick in and you need to review with agent.

8. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

DOC policy?

9. Z71bill

Z71bill

If you rent a car from Hertz (whoever) -

You can have coverage on the rental from your personal insurance policy and many people do.

But it is a rider - and is not automatically included on every policy. I also will guess it can depend on what state you live in.

I can't recall numbers - but I dropped this from our policy years ago - when renting a car while on business my employer covered it - hardly ever rent a car for personal use - and if I do I would do whatever to protect myself.

Just saying - don't assume just because you have insurance on your car it will automatically cover you if you are driving someone else's car.

10. WT

WT Millennium Member

As an EXECUTOR you should not spend 1 penny of your own money to carry out your duties.

From my personal experience it is a thankless job.

treg and cbetts1 like this.
  11. Z71bill

Z71bill

I don't see insurable interest as a problem in this case -

If you are driving a vehicle and can be held accountable for damage caused by an accident -

Then you in fact do have an insurable interest.

12. Z71bill

Z71bill

I understand the buy a car thing - I think you have 3 days or something like that.

But I would not drive off the lot until I had contracted my insurance company and added the vehicle.

Last new car we bought - my insurance agent email me proof of insurance while I was still at the dealership -

13. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Coverage for "non-owned" vehicles is often based on the definition of an "insured vehicle in the policy. If differs for liability and collision/comp. Commercial policies have entirely different forms for some of this.
    Here is an example what my executor would look at for coverage in my policy while he/she was using my car after I die. Executor is covered as my legal representative.
    upload_2018-10-4_14-7-48.png

However, if I was an executor for someone else I would look to this definition of "Insured Autos" in the Liability section of my policy.
    This indicates I am covered for liability as the executor while while using the deceased's car, whether it has coverage of it's own or not. (This applies to a rental car as well.)
    upload_2018-10-4_14-10-43.png

Under collision/comp, I would look to that section of my policy for "Insured Vehicles" and in my policy I find I have coverage for the decedent's car as a non-owned vehicle, just like a rental. As a practical matter, it may not apply if that decedent's vehicle has collision/comp of on it's own policy.
    upload_2018-10-4_14-18-31.png

I'm in PA. YMMV.

14. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

My agent didn't open for another eight hours. Thanks for the immensely helpful feedback. HH

MB-G26 likes this.
  15. SC Tiger

SC Tiger As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Worst case - get a U-haul and trailer (or just the trailer if you have a tow vehicle) and flat tow it. That gets you around the whole bit.

But like others have said I think your insurance will cover you. Would be best to call first though if you have doubts. Just to be safe. If it is really high-end they may want to do something different.

Also - keep all receipts so you can charge back to the estate if you incur significant cost.

16. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Sorry for your loss my friend.

17. Flags

Flags

When my Step Mom passed earlier this year I drove her car from coast to my house under my insurance. My sister was the executor and once she got the official letter from the lawyer stating such I took the copy of that as well as a bill of sale my sister made up representing the estate and the title and registration and had it registered in my name and added to my insurance. My insurance, USAA, stated I could drive it under my policy before registering to me but I just parked it after getting home. Pretty sure you are good but bounce off your insurance agent as I imagine differences between states and ins companies as to particulars to handle it. I'm sorry for your loss and hope it works out!

18. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Never hear the expression? "you made your bed..."