Can I insure and drive someone else's car?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by HollowHead, Oct 3, 2018.

1. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I've had a sudden death in the family and need to move the decedent's car a few hundred miles. While I know the annual registration is valid, I have no clue to whether the insurance is, so can I simply add this vehicle to my policy and move it back to the decedent's house? I am the willed executor but have no documentation yet as the appointment papers and death certificates are pending and I don't want to cause the estate any liability. Thanks in advance, HH

ETA: are there any liabilities if the vehicle is double-insured through different companies? The decedent's attorney wants me to arrange a tow but I'm trying to save the estate some money.

2. eagle359

eagle359 Glock Fanboi

This is a question for your insurance agent. There is a term called Insurable Interest. You can not normally insure something you do not own. He may give you a work-around.

treg, Slackinoff, cbetts1 and 3 others like this.

3. ruffhunter

ruffhunter

wife is in the same situation and very common. check the glove box for the insurance card and find the bills. keep paying it

-JCN-, treg and Ross-in-Pa like this.
  4. Wayward Son

Wayward Son

I asked my insurance agent a similar question about vehicles. Her response was that I would be covered by my policy to pick the vehicle up and drive it home.

Flags, newglocker10mm, dudel and 4 others like this.
  5. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Will do, thanks. I've never been asked when adding a vehicle over the phone if I was the owner (Progressive.) I need to get this vehicle moved in order to not accrue any more fees from where it is now (airport long-term parking.) I have access to both the keys and the parking ticket. HH

6. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Thank you. HH

7. Adjuster

Adjuster

I gave my car to my mom while it was still in my name. She had no problem insuring it in her name her own policy.

/

LASTRESORT20 likes this.
  8. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

1). Sorry to hear of the death in your family. My condolences all around.

2). As with Wayward Son my agent told me our insurance was good to move a car several hundred miles to my place during a not too different situation.

HollowHead likes this.
  9. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Thanks. Any issue if the car is covered by a second company at the same time? I'm almost certain that it's still covered by the decedent, but I really don't want to take the chance. As executor, I don't want to become the guy who caused a seven digit liability to a five digit estate. HH

10. Old Army Guy

Old Army Guy

Call your insurance company and have them run a clue report on the vin number of the car you plan on driving.This will give you the insurance company and policy number of your relative. Call the newly discovered insurance company and tell them you’re the executor and ask if this policy would cover you. Different insurance companies have different coverages on permissive use.

You can always purchase insurance for the vehicle as the executor.

larry_minn likes this.
  11. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

I think insurance covers the driver, not the car. But ask your agent .

12. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

It will vary by company but usually, you can insure a vehicle you do not own. They don't care who owns it. Only who's driving it.

Joshhtn likes this.
  13. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

Also, you're very likely covered by your own insurance when driving a non-owned vehicle. My company will cover you in another car up to 30 days without adding it to the policy.

treg and Joshhtn like this.
  14. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

I'd just jump in and drive it home, I'm sure my full coverage insurance would be good on it

15. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier NRA Benefactor

Getting legal advise on a shooting forum is more dangerous than a car wreck. :car: :drillsgt:

16. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

With Progressive, you will be covered driving the non-owned vehicle temporarily. Of course, covered by the same coverage you have on your existing policy except roadside.

Slackinoff likes this.
  17. Badazuwanme2b

Badazuwanme2b

I’m covered by my insurance no matter what car I drive. If I owned the car I’d have to add it to my policy. If said car belongs to a friend or family member then I’m covered. Lots of insurances also cover you as a passenger in someone else’s car.

Slackinoff likes this.
  18. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Our Allstate policies had wording specifically applicable to the situation you describe. IIRC the policy was in force to the end of the coverage period during which the death occurred (PA policy). PA polices (and maybe most others) cover any car you drive with permission (you are the executor, you don't need permission), as long as you don't use it regularly, so your policy may cover it even in the event that the car was not insured otherwise.
    I did 29 years in claims. I know more about insurance than guns.
    That said, a call to his agent and your agent is in order.
    "ETA: are there any liabilities if the vehicle is double-insured through different companies?"
    No, they sort it out, sometimes to your benefit. I did that a lot.
    EDIT, you could probably add it to your policy. As executor, it is arguable that you have insurable interest.

-JCN-, StarvinMarvin and light-switch like this.
  19. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Could have done so before starting this thread.

20. VCoupe376ci

VCoupe376ci

First, sorry for your loss. Second, you should verify this through the decedents insurance as I'm sure this varies depending on the policy, but my insurance covers anyone driving my car on a short term basis (borrowed the car for a few hours, etc) as long as that person has a valid drivers license. Although you will not be able to get any personal information or make changes to the policy, the agent will likely at least be able to verify that you are covered in the car without needing the letters of administration. As far as adding the car to your policy, I was borrowing a car for several weeks from a buddy a few years ago and my insurance company would not allow me to insure it under my policy as it didn't belong to me. Again, under the circumstances your situation my be different though and a call to the insurance company should be able to answer this question quickly.