GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Firm member
29,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a sudden death in the family and need to move the decedent's car a few hundred miles. While I know the annual registration is valid, I have no clue to whether the insurance is, so can I simply add this vehicle to my policy and move it back to the decedent's house? I am the willed executor but have no documentation yet as the appointment papers and death certificates are pending and I don't want to cause the estate any liability. Thanks in advance, HH

ETA: are there any liabilities if the vehicle is double-insured through different companies? The decedent's attorney wants me to arrange a tow but I'm trying to save the estate some money.

·
Glock Fanboi
2,454 Posts
This is a question for your insurance agent. There is a term called Insurable Interest. You can not normally insure something you do not own. He may give you a work-around.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
I've had a sudden death in the family and need to move the decedent's car a few hundred miles. While I know the annual registration is valid, I have no clue to whether the insurance is, so can I simply add this vehicle to my policy and move it back to the decedent's house? I am the willed executor but have no documentation yet as the appointment papers and death certificates are pending and I don't want to cause the estate any liability. Thanks in advance, HH

ETA: are there any liabilities if the vehicle is double-insured through different companies? The decedent's attorney wants me to arrange a tow but I'm trying to save the estate some money.
I asked my insurance agent a similar question about vehicles. Her response was that I would be covered by my policy to pick the vehicle up and drive it home.

·
Firm member
29,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a question for your insurance agent. There is a term called Insurable Interest. You can not normally insure something you do not own. He may give you a work-around.
Will do, thanks. I've never been asked when adding a vehicle over the phone if I was the owner (Progressive.) I need to get this vehicle moved in order to not accrue any more fees from where it is now (airport long-term parking.) I have access to both the keys and the parking ticket. HH

·
Registered
20,424 Posts
I gave my car to my mom while it was still in my name. She had no problem insuring it in her name her own policy.

/

·
Registered
15,183 Posts

1). Sorry to hear of the death in your family. My condolences all around.

2). As with Wayward Son my agent told me our insurance was good to move a car several hundred miles to my place during a not too different situation.

·
Firm member
29,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I gave my car to my mom while it was still in my name. She had no problem insuring it in her name her own policy.

/
Thanks. Any issue if the car is covered by a second company at the same time? I'm almost certain that it's still covered by the decedent, but I really don't want to take the chance. As executor, I don't want to become the guy who caused a seven digit liability to a five digit estate. HH

·
Registered
578 Posts
Call your insurance company and have them run a clue report on the vin number of the car you plan on driving.This will give you the insurance company and policy number of your relative. Call the newly discovered insurance company and tell them you’re the executor and ask if this policy would cover you. Different insurance companies have different coverages on permissive use.

You can always purchase insurance for the vehicle as the executor.

·
Registered
8,672 Posts
It will vary by company but usually, you can insure a vehicle you do not own. They don't care who owns it. Only who's driving it.

·
Registered
8,672 Posts
Also, you're very likely covered by your own insurance when driving a non-owned vehicle. My company will cover you in another car up to 30 days without adding it to the policy.

·
Sarcasm Inc.
15,057 Posts
I'd just jump in and drive it home, I'm sure my full coverage insurance would be good on it

·
Registered
8,672 Posts
Will do, thanks. I've never been asked when adding a vehicle over the phone if I was the owner (Progressive.) I need to get this vehicle moved in order to not accrue any more fees from where it is now (airport long-term parking.) I have access to both the keys and the parking ticket. HH
With Progressive, you will be covered driving the non-owned vehicle temporarily. Of course, covered by the same coverage you have on your existing policy except roadside.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I’m covered by my insurance no matter what car I drive. If I owned the car I’d have to add it to my policy. If said car belongs to a friend or family member then I’m covered. Lots of insurances also cover you as a passenger in someone else’s car.

·
What did I come in here for?
10,944 Posts
Our Allstate policies had wording specifically applicable to the situation you describe. IIRC the policy was in force to the end of the coverage period during which the death occurred (PA policy). PA polices (and maybe most others) cover any car you drive with permission (you are the executor, you don't need permission), as long as you don't use it regularly, so your policy may cover it even in the event that the car was not insured otherwise.
I did 29 years in claims. I know more about insurance than guns.
That said, a call to his agent and your agent is in order.
"ETA: are there any liabilities if the vehicle is double-insured through different companies?"
No, they sort it out, sometimes to your benefit. I did that a lot.
EDIT, you could probably add it to your policy. As executor, it is arguable that you have insurable interest.

·
Am Yisrael Chai
34,827 Posts
Could have done so before starting this thread.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts

First, sorry for your loss. Second, you should verify this through the decedents insurance as I'm sure this varies depending on the policy, but my insurance covers anyone driving my car on a short term basis (borrowed the car for a few hours, etc) as long as that person has a valid drivers license. Although you will not be able to get any personal information or make changes to the policy, the agent will likely at least be able to verify that you are covered in the car without needing the letters of administration. As far as adding the car to your policy, I was borrowing a car for several weeks from a buddy a few years ago and my insurance company would not allow me to insure it under my policy as it didn't belong to me. Again, under the circumstances your situation my be different though and a call to the insurance company should be able to answer this question quickly.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts