close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Can I install a second hard drive and

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by alphacat, Feb 5, 2006.

1. alphacat

alphacat account deleted

switch back and forth from one hard drive to the other?

And can I have XP home on one and some other system on the other?

And just how do I do it, that is if I can????

Details please, I'm not that darn smart about this PC stuff.

2. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

First off, what do you mean switch back and forth between them? If you install a second drive, by default it's a second drive, accessable for storing data. You just have 2 drives at that point.

As for setting up 2 different OSes, yeah, it's entirely possible. But the method to accomplish it depends on what your other choice is. Linux? Win2000? Win98? DOS 3.83? There's a couple ways to accomplish this, what exactly are you planning?

3. alphacat

alphacat account deleted

Here's the story. When I bought my PC the hard drive went bad so while I was waiting for a replacement HD to show in the mail I hooked up the old hard drive from my old PC. Once the new HD arrived I unhooked the spare and hooked up the new one.
    I still have the other HD mounted in the PC just not it's not doing anything but gathering dust.I figured if I could hook it up and switch from one to the other I could use the old one for myself, All I do on the thing is surf the net, read forums and do some email, My wife uses it for banking, work and all of the inportant stuff.... I'm wanting to be able to use one for me and not stand a chance on messing up her paper work.

The newer HD has XP Pro and the old one has XP Home...

I thought maybe there was some sort of switch I could mount or something.

So Can I do such?

4. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

5. Glock Bob

Glock Bob Snack Attack!!!

If I understand you correctly you have two HDDs, one with XP Pro and the other with XP Home. The master contains Pro and the slave Home. First of all, make sure both drives are working properly (ie you can see the second drive in My Computer and can access it). Secondly you need to change a file in XP Pro:

1. Right-click on My Computer
    2. Click on Properties
    3. Click on the Advanced tab
    4. In the Startup and Recovery group click the Settings button
    5. In the System Startup group click on the Edit button (a .txt file will come up)
    6. The last line of the file should read something like this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Under this line you want to add:

multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Home" /fastdetect

7. Change the value after Timeout= to 10000
    8. Save the file
    9. Reboot

If done correctly you should have a new screen come up after BIOS is finished which has XP Pro and XP Home listed and you can switch between the two (XP Pro is highlighted at first). All you have to do is select the one you want to use and press enter. If everything works you should be able to boot into XP Home. If you don't select an OS the default one (XP Pro) will be selected after 10 seconds (the 10000 you added to Timeout=, which can be changed if you like). Keep in mind that to switch between the two you have to reboot and select the one you want to use. If you have any trouble with this let us know.

6. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

any geek instruction presumes you understand that a . instead of a comma, or one extra space, or one few, or a quote symbol, or the lack of one. . breaks the code.

so when you do it, it must be done EXACTLY right.

if you get it exactly right, it works. otherwise, it don't.

all that said, the previous instruction is perfectly correct.

just don't get it *almost* right, and blame the advice.

almost right, is wrong.

7. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

What he said...I "accidentally" did this while reinstalling my OS when I had 2 HD's on my comp.