Can I carry concealed in Ohio with a Pennsylvania CC permit?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by davethehiker, Feb 25, 2017.

1. davethehiker

davethehiker

I plan to take a quick day trip to Ohio next week. I live in PA and have CC permit and carry all the time. I looked this up on the Internet and found a place that indicated it was okay. I know these laws tend to change all the time. I want to make sure if it's lawful for me to CC in Ohio with my PA CC permit.

2. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/Media_and_Resources/Firearm_Reciprocity_Agreements/

Quick google search yielded this. I would still call The Ohio State Police(and the jurisdictions you will be in) speak to a LEO and ask specifically what you can and cannot do. Write down who you spoke with, what they said, and when they said it.

3. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry.... Platinum Member

4. oldmick

oldmick

davethehiker likes this.
  5. davethehiker

davethehiker

oldmick likes this.
  6. davethehiker

davethehiker

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question.

7. WVSurveyor

WVSurveyor

Don't see a problem. Try www.usacarry.com and look at the reciprocity map section. They seem to do a good job of keeping it up to date.

davethehiker likes this.
  8. Decutor

Decutor

You want to check for differences in the law between your states.

I'm not sure how PA is specifically, but in Ohio, no gun signs have force of law and you do have a duty to inform if pulled over.

happie2shoot and light-switch like this.
  9. davethehiker

davethehiker

Interesting. The duty to inform is a bit unnerving. I don't like to get cops excited. It always been my habit when stopped by a police officer, to lower my window and extend both my empty hands out the window. I'm convinced that this has saved me from getting a ticket at least twice.

I once visited a store in Ohio that sold country/Western clothing, that had a sign in the door stating that legal carry weapons are welcome. Somehow that made me feel safe and I thanked them for the sign. (I was not carrying at the time.)

10. oldmick

oldmick

And just to add a little for the OP, you actually need to notify when stopped "for any law enforcement purpose", so that also includes outside a vehicle.

I've only had to notify twice in the last 12 years or so. Once when stopped for speeding (my fault, of course) and the other when police came to the house next door to respond to a call of vandalism on two neighborhood cars. I was outside talking to the neighbor when the police arrived.

The vehicle stop was shortly after the law was passed and the vandalism incident was several years later. No issue with either encounter.

I memorized the following notification statement shortly after I received my license to carry: "Officer, I need to inform you that I have a license to carry and I'm armed, what would you like me to do?" I try to avoid the word GUN.

The law also states that you must "promply" inform, so I start talking as soon as the officer approaches, even if I interupt the LEO. Early on there were a few arrests for not notifying "promply", but only one comes to mind.

I suspect the vast majority of stops today are non-events, now that the law has been in effect so long.

11. 4Rules

4Rules

12. Parausa

Parausa

You might want to
    Look at the iPhone app called Legal Heat. It is constantly kept updated with all the basic CCW & reciprocity laws for every state

13. davethehiker

davethehiker

I now have it. Thank you.

14. light-switch

light-switch Back to work...

I live in PA, right on the PA/OH border, and carry on both States. As others have said, just remember to INFORM, and the SIGN CARRY FORCE OF LAW in OH.

I just inform everywhere during a stop: easier to remember, and makes everyone involved happy and calm. The only unpleasant experience was several years ago in PA: informed the officer even though not required. He asked me to disarm, removed mag and the chambered round, and removed all the bullets from the mag.

At the end of the stop, he asked me to pop the trunk open, and dropped everything - loose bullets, mag, and gun - in the trunk and closed it. I was told to wait until he left to get out of the car to retrieve my gun. It was rather annoying to get all the bullets - which had rolled everywhere, almost like he tossed them - and put it all together. Made me wish I hadn't informed to begin with!

15. davethehiker

davethehiker

Maybe I'm wrong but if I'm pulled over for speeding, running a stop sign or the like, it seems a bit dangerous to blurt out to the cop that "I'm armed." On the other hand if he asks me to get out of the vehicle and there is a possibility of him spotting the weapon on me, I would then explain, "It's my understanding that Ohio law requires me to inform you that I am armed. How would you like me to proceed?" I would like to hear from a police officer what their thoughts are.

IndyGunFreak likes this.
  16. Decutor

Decutor

Start by informing them that you have a PA license to carry

davethehiker and oldmick like this.
  17. timbo813

timbo813

I think you are wrong. The law says you inform immediately. The one time I was pulled over I handed the officer my CCW immediately when he walked up. The stop went well and he let me off. (He did take my gun during the stop but was very nice and safe about it)

In my opinion the key is to tell him you have a license before you tell him you have a gun.

18. davethehiker

davethehiker

Thanks. In the unlikely event that I'm stopped, I will inform the officer that I'm licensed to carry concealed and armed and ask what would he like me to do. I leaving today to take the trip. The weapon I'll be carrying is the 10mm G29 as shown in my avatar.

19. davethehiker

davethehiker

I'm back from my round trip into Ohio to pick up my supply a Smuckers jelly. I had the weapon in a trigger holster, tucked into my belt both ways. It was an uneventful trip. No cops ever pulled me over.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  20. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

The problem is, when you say "gun" the Officer is going to go to alert mode and is likely to hear little else you say, as he's watching you, anyone else in your vehicle, etc.

The law says immediately... do you jump out of your car as soon as your car stops, waiving your CCW around? If not, then you're not informing them immediately. Why don't you do that? Well common sense dictates you stay in your car till the officer approaches you. There's the letter of the law, and the spirit of the law.

No offense, but the rehearsed speeches, etc.. just make you sound like a moron

For all the people who go on about yelling they have a CCW before the officer has a chance to even greet them and ask for their DL, etc. ... I've never heard of anyone ever being arrested for simply handing over their CCW with their DL, etc... and I'd love to see the case where this happened. It's kinda like when internet lawyers claim you have to register as a sex offender if you're caught urinating in public (which anyone with any knowledge of the law knows is absolutely ridiculous).