Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

Can Gun “decorations” like Punisher backplates and American flag plugs be used against you?

• Yes

Votes: 79 73.8%
  • No

Votes: 28 26.2%
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
These are Great Times for Gun Owners!
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/dontdigtherig-part-4

I’m personally not a fan of these kinds of back plates or plugs with designs on them, but I really don’t care if others like them. I can see the writer’s point in regards to the punisher backplate thing, but an American flag plug being used against you? I struggle to see that hurting your case. If you’re in that kind of jurisdiction I’m thinking the flag plug isn’t gonna make much difference. If in those circumstances, you were gonna get that thrown at you either way. This seems like a grouchy dude who hates gussied up guns, but then I got to thinking...

So can gun decorations be used against you in court? What about Spartans and religious quotes and the other common backplates out there?

·
Registered
59,811 Posts
My guess is it would be more likely to be mentioned as an aggravating factor than as a mitigating factor although not especially likely in either case.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I always take flak for telling people it's a bad idea to do stuff like that. "It's my free speech," they retort. I think the most idiotic thing is to put up one of those no trespassing signs threatening to shoot someone. Not only is it an advertisement saying "come steal my gun," but you know it would be used against you in court if you actually had to shoot an intruder.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I'm not a fan of them either, but to each their own. Personally, I think a DA will use them against you if possible, even the American Flag plug. In the event the person that was shot was not from the US, they can use that to show that you were somehow a racist.

·
Texas Born & Bred
3,661 Posts
I would like to be able to say no, but in today’s toxic SJW world I would be more likely to say yes. With the median age of prosecutorial offices getting younger combined with the declining regard for the right of self defense in those same circles, I would hesitate to put anything on a carry gun that could, in any shape form or fashion, speak to premeditation to use deadly force.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Think how stupid the average person is. Half are more stupid.

Now with that said, those stupid people will be sitting on your jury. They only have so much brain matter to fill up. I don’t want it filled up with anything other than the hard facts of why I fired my gun in self defense.

My carry/bedside guns are stock except for night sights on a few.

You do want you want.

·
With Liberty and Justice for all.
20,894 Posts
I can see the Punisher being used against someone, but I find it hard to believe that our flag would be a problem. A decent defense attorney would likely point out that the flag is probably displayed in the courtroom and is probably on the uniform of the bailiffs and police officers who testify.

·
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’d like to think a jury of my peers wouldn’t find the American flag an issue. I’d like to think it would help your case. But you just never know. That’s why hiring good attorneys is crucial if you’re in a shooting. You’d like to think your lawyer would shut the flag argument down.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
So can gun decorations be used against you in court?
This is largely theoretical. But I will not adorn my Glocks with symbols and icons, in part for the reason you express, and also because I think they just look juvenile and stupid. God forbid, but if I had to use my firearm to stop a bad person, I would not want those goofy caricatures on my gun to persuade the police, Commonwealth attorney and jury that I was a knucklehead. I also don't put stickers on my vehicle, or velcro patches on my Man Sack. Invisible and unidentifiable is better than unique and identifiable. "Yeah officer, the guy who ran me off the road had a big punisher skull sticker on the back of his Hyundai."

So I'll stay as invisible as possible. For me the very remote risk outweighs the nonexistent upside.

:dog::dog::dog:

·
l'Italia s'è desta
7,576 Posts
I think there’s too much mixing of television with reality in this thread.

As a prosecutor, my job is to present evidence that proves up the elements of the case. That’s it. If there is evidence that is exculpatory, I must, legally and ethically, present that, and I do.

True, one of the problems with the jury trial system is that if the jury doesn’t like you, they can find against you. So, your best bet is to present yourself so that your persona doesn’t get in the way of the facts of the case in the jury’s mind.

Were I to try a case of firearm homicide or assault, I couldn’t care less what’s “on” the firearm involved, unless it goes to prove intent. Stretching a point goes against what I’m sworn to do.

·
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tend to avoid bumper stickers or blatant social media posting about
I think there’s too much mixing of television with reality in this thread.

As a prosecutor, my job is to present evidence that proves up the elements of the case. That’s it. If there is evidence that is exculpatory, I must, legally and ethically, present that, and I do.

True, one of the problems with the jury trial system is that if the jury doesn’t like you, they can find against you. So, your best bet is to present yourself so that your persona doesn’t get in the way of the facts of the case in the jury’s mind.

Were I to try a case of firearm homicide or assault, I couldn’t care less what’s “on” the firearm involved, unless it goes to prove intent. Stretching a point goes against what I’m sworn to do.
May I ask what state you’re in? I guess my concern would be in a state or jurisdiction that would be more anti-gun. Thanks for the prosecutor input though, gives a good perspective to consider.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts