Can anyone shape opinions of or experiences with this pistol?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by PlayboyPenguin, Mar 17, 2010.

1. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

It has been a long time since I have been excited about a pistol, but I think this one might have caught my eye. I might have to sell a couple items to afford it, but I am very tempted. It is the Les Baer Stinger in stainless steel. Anyone have any experience with one? Opinions?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  2. drc767

drc767 Navy CSAR

You can never go wrong with a Baer.

3. Quack

Quack Rent this space

you can do better with a Colt :whistling::rofl:

4. drc767

drc767 Navy CSAR

Anything above $800 is just fluff and artistry....:whistling:

5. Quack

Quack Rent this space

6. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

Baer's worst gun ( along with the Commanche). Les refuses to do the proper machining and basically uses 5 inch rail specs in a chopped gun. This leads to short slide travel and more chances of reliability issues. I finally sold mine.

BTW..I'm a Baer fan, but not of his less than Government sized guns.

7. Quack

Quack Rent this space

so they do that to the Stinger as well?
    That's why i passed up on buying a Commanche.

8. HAIL CAESAR

Yeap they so, and good decision.:wavey:

9. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

I've heard this from several folks, though I've never so much as held one myself.

If you'd like a suggestion of a carry sized 1911 that is also easy to get excited about, may I recommend the Dan Wesson CCO (See Hail Caesar's Sig Pic)? One of the best carry sized 1911's on the market, and pretty rare to boot, in that you won't come across a lot of folks with one. Just a few hundred a year made. A bit cheaper than the Baer, too. Bought mine last month and it's amazing.

10. HAIL CAESAR

[​IMG]

One of the best buys I have ever made. Well worth OVER what they are asking.

11. MD357

MD357

Yes...

FWIW to anyone that cares. Hail Caesar has done some pretty darn good comparison writeups on CCO sized guns on 1911forum.

12. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

I'm learning more & more form both the above every day. :supergrin:

13. dakrat

dakrat

thats a great choice. Les Baer makes some of the finest 1911 out there. pay no attention to the internet gunsmiths...

14. HAIL CAESAR

Why..Thank you. I appreciate the kind words.:wavey:

For those interested below in read is a "chart" I have put together about CCO's. I collect them and are a hobby of mine. I have owned or currently owned damn near everyone on the list. The ones I haven't owned are not out yet (lol), or I know several folks that do and have shot and went through their guns with a fine tooth comb. I AM NOT an expert, but I have a pretty good working knowledge of them. But as with all things this is also my opinions, as I posted what I THINK is the quality level. With no further words...

The size of 1911 you are describing is loosely called a CCO. It is a officer frame and a 4.25 commander slide. Some people people (including myself) make a distinction of a TRUE CCO and LIKE A CCO. A true CCO will have a 4.25 barrel and a barrel bushing. Most "Like" a CCO will have a 4ish inch barrel and the barrel will be bushingless. Colt is the company that owns the name "CCO", much like "Commander".

To answer your question of who makes a 1911 of similar size the list is as follows;

STI Guardian- Like a CCO- 4ish bull barrel- good quality gun- $950ish.
    Steel frame.

Colt CCO and Colt Gunsite CCO- True CCO sized-4.25 barrel- good quality gun-Discontinued model- somewhat of a collectors item $950++++, if you can find one.

Colt has put out another CCO in 2010 called the Specail Combat Officer but it is a CCO like mentioned above. It has no front cocking serrations although.

Old Dan Wesson CCO- True CCO (Except external extractor)- Discontinued Model- good quality- good luck finding one.

New Dan Wesson CCO. Production starting 2009. True CCO with internal extractor. $1,250+, hard to get only 200 made this year. Alloy frame with 4.25 inch bushing barrel. Ceramic coated slide. I have it now. It is excellent quality!

Newer, newer DW CCO. Production starting 2010. Same as the one above but supposed to have upgraded all barstock internals and a super duper tough finish. ( No idea what it is as they are keeping it a secret, but it will come out what it is. I'm thinking it's like Ionbond or Melonite) Quality?? Based on last years 2009 run that was excellent and the 2010 models SUPPOSED to be better...I am guessing these will be very excellent guns although I have never one one ..YET.....But the price has went up on the 2010's over the 2009's.

Kimber- Like a CCO, OK quality gun, various models - $750 and up depending on model. Lots of reports of problems, but lots of reports of satisfaction. Be prepares to buy a new recoil spring even on a new gun. Kimber makes a steel frame and a alloy frame LW.

Sig 1911 Compact- True CCO (except external extractor) good quality gun- earlier guns have had problems, newer guns have seemed to have no problems- $850+-Sig makes a steel frame and a alloy frame LW. Make sure you get ones that have no "manhole cover" on the slide.

Springfield Armory COMPACT- Older discontinued model, do not be confused with current Ultra or Micro size guns they are not the same- if you can find one they run $550+. good quality. Some were 4.25 with bushing and some were Bull 4 inchers. Steel frames and LW Alloy frames.

Smith & Wesson ES. Seems to be good quality. True CCO expect the external extractor. 4.25 bushing barrel. Stainless slide and Scandium frame. $860.00ish, but people are trying to get rich selling them for more than that.

Fusion Arms True CCO or 4 inch bull. You can order either way (Edited for now pending issues.)

Les Baer Stinger- True CCO, excellent quality, poor execution. 1911- $1,500+ depending on options. Steel frame. 5 inch frame rails, which is NOT A GOOD THING!!. May or may not slingshot. Older discontinued had alloy frame.

Wilson Combat Compact- Like a CCO, 4 inch bull barrel. Excellent quality 1911 alloy or steel frame.- $2200++++ depending on model and options.

Nighthawk Custom_ True CCO- excellent quality 1911- $2500+ depending on options. They will build a bushing or a bull barrel.

Springfield Armory Custom Shop -True CCO Excellent quality. Takes about 6 months + to build. They will build it your way. They will build a bushing or a bull barrel. Alloy or steel frame. $1,600++++++, depending how wild you go.

There are full custom shops that will make you a CCO, be prepared to sell at least one of your children on the black market.

If they are more I've forgotten, please anyone help me out.

My opinion time; The CCO is the perfect CCW size 1911 ever made. Reliability of a Commander, frame size of a Officer for less printing. Even less printing if you have the frame MSH rounded.

15. HAIL CAESAR

I will post links to what some master class 1911 smiths have said about the "Commander" slide Baer's if you would like.

16. MD357

MD357

Easy trigger. Baers are great, they just refuse to use good specs on Commander sized or smaller guns. It's a cost cutting measure FWIW.

Now I'm no gunsmith, but I am on the internet like everyone else. Some of the boys at Heirloom Precision have pointed out the difference.

[​IMG]

Some people have experienced reliability issues and an inability to slingshot due to the difference in slide travel. YMMV.

Baers are awesome IMHO aswell, but he's just being stubborn in this case.

17. HAIL CAESAR

18. mesteve2

mesteve2

Get a Glock 38.

save the money.

Have had them all.

19. HAIL CAESAR

Had all of what??

All the Glock's, Baer's, or CCO's???

With the choice of a Glock chambered in GAP...Give me a Single Action Army in 38-40.:rofl:

20. CMG

CMG

Plus some emery paper and $100 in parts... :whistling:

:supergrin: