close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Can anyone help me out w/ FreeBSD Install?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by mfackler, Feb 24, 2006.

1. mfackler

mfackler

I just finished building my second computer. Everything wend well. I am attempting to install FreeBSD 6.0 on a 160GB WD hard drive. The FreeBSD installer reports an error in HD geometry and gives it's best guess. It refers me to my bios to find the exact geometry. BIOS is simply set to AUTO and does not report it's actual numbers.

At any rate the installer walks me through the remainder (I am using the entire disk and letting the installer do the "A" auto-matic defaults) of the setup then fails with an "unable to write file system" error.

I have done some searching on the FreeBSD archives and found nothing. Nor can I find anything in the handbook or FAQs.

I feel like I am missing something stupid and would prefer not introduce myself on FreeBSD-questions list looking like a fool.

BTW: I installed Debain just fine so the hardware appears fine.

Can anyone here please help a fellow out?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

It's been quite a while since I ran FreeBSD on my system, so I wouldn't be of much help, but here is a good forum where you might ask as well.

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

The hard drive geometry it reads is not that important.If it will properly install then the message doesn't hurt anything.It just means it has an odd number of cylinders from what it expects.Also BSD doesn't always like to share a hard drive with another OS.Have you tried the easy installing PC-BSD?It's basically a preconfigured Free BSD with an easy to use installer.

http://www.pcbsd.org

PC-BSD has as its goals to be an easy-to-install-and-use desktop operating system, based on FreeBSD. To accomplish this, it currently has a graphical installation, which will enable even UNIX novices to easily install and get it running. It will also come with KDE pre-built, so that the desktop can be used immediately. Currently in development is a graphical software installation program, which will make installing pre-built software as easy as other popular operating systems.

4. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

I had a 40pin IDE cable, and FreeBSD, unlike Redhat and Fedora, was trying to force UDMA6, because the drive was a UDMA133 drive, but it couldn't because of the 40pin cable. Once I switched the cable to a 80pin, it worked like a charm. FreeBSD wasn't checking what my UDMA was set to in the BIOS or anything, just forcing based on the hardware it detected.

This may not be your problem, as I don't remember anything about "geometry", but it sounds very similar. Check the cable going to the HD, see if it's a 40pin cable. It's pretty easy to get these older cables thrown into machines as a lot of MBs come with them. -dok

5. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Correct.

And one thing I do to streamile my Linux installs is to use an XP disk to partition the drive beforehand into a minimum of three partitions...usually about ten total.

That way your *nix installer can see the file table, and you can format them EXT2 or 3 as you wish.

That has worked for me so far!

6. mfackler

mfackler

;W ;W ;W ;W doktarZues, you are my hero;W ;W ;W ;W

Sure enough I didn't know much about cables. I had brand new ones so I figured that was good enough. After reading your post I did some research and discovered the difference. My cables WERE 40 conductor. Swapped them out with 80 conductor and now all is well with FreeBSD 6. :) This is my first try at BSD so I have some curve to go, (Thank you hwyhobo as well the forum will come in handy)but now I get it installed. Thanks a MILLION. If you ever make it to NW Ohio I O U supper (or better)

Thanks again

Mike

7. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

That's good news, as I will be installing it myself in a foreseable future, so the more I know about gotchas from someone else's experience, the better. ;f

8. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

Glad I could help, I don't mess with linux much but I work in IT and unfortunately have to deal with it on occasion and was just a lucky chance that I had ran into a similar problem when I had to load a few machines with FreeBSD.

FreeBSD is one of if not the best *nix flavors out there, but it's unique enough that it would be hard to translate your experience with it to the other more similar versions of actual Linux, which is much more popular in the corporation. Again glad to help, good luck in your emancipation from Microsoft ;) -dok