close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Can anyone describe a Glock 29 recoil for me?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by zeke013, Aug 20, 2006.

1. zeke013

zeke013 CLM

So I decided I am not going to get to shoot a 10 mm before deciding to buy one. I can't rent one - and I don't know anyone who has one.

I'm curious to know how some of you would describe the stronger loads (DT) in terms of feel. I don't consider myself a recoil-averse person, but I definitely handle some guns better than others.

I currently own a Glock 30 which I handle well. I also have a S&W 340PD which I am less enthusiastic about. But I think the 12 oz weight has something to do with it . . . And I am still accurate with it - it just hurts to shoot more than 20 .357s or more than 50 .38s.

I can shoot full load .357s from my GP100 without hesitation. And yet I sold a .44 after I decided I disliked the recoil.

Can you folks give me an idea of where a 10 mm falls in a Glock 29? Closer to a .44 or a .357 revolver? Is it closer to a .45 because it's an auto?

Any help would be appreciated!

2. carbofan21

carbofan21

I shot a 10mm yesterday for the first time. it was the G29, and i was shooting umc 180 grain fmj, which i understand are fairly wimpy, watered down loads for the 10mm. recoil was not uncomfortable by any means, but the thing had a lot of snap. my hands are on the average to smaller size, and the G29 frame was not large enough (read: long enough) for my taste. i made a mental note that i would absolutely want the full size frame G20 if i were to buy a gun in this caliber.

i also shot a G21 to compare, and that was like holding a big soft football compared to the G29. ymmv

3. chad10mm

chad10mm Time to shoot

It's all about personal, subjective feeling of course, but...

I've just started shooting a G29...around 500 rnds of DT and lower power factory ammo.
    I've shot thousands of rnds, DT and other, through 2 deltas, and a couple thousand .357 out of a 4" Ruger Security Six.

Compared to the delta, I haven't found a great deal of felt recoil difference in the 29...which surprised me considering the weight difference.
    With the DT I've shot so far...180gr fmj, 165gr saber, 200gr beartooth...the 29 has been perfectly controllable and not at all a recoil problem with a steady grip.

Compared to .357, I've always considered it similar in general, but different in specifics.
    The 10mm feels more like a push, while the .357 is a sharper recoil...but the energy, subjectively, seems about the same.

If you have no problem with .357, I don't think you'd have any problem with 10mm, even in a 29.
    I've never shot a .44, so I can't compare...but last weekend I shot a Sig .45 along with my 10s and found the recoil somewhat less.

Don't know how much that helps, but it's my impressions.

4. zeke013

zeke013 CLM

Two very helpful posts. Thanks!

5. DavidinSA

DavidinSA

I assume you want the G29 for conceal carry?
    If not, go with the G20 and you will be very happy.
    The recoil in a G20 is mild considering the energy that is being released.
    I am fairly sensitive to recoil, I have a S&W 642 which shoots 38special +P and it has way more felt recoil than my G20 with DT 135's.
    The G29 I can't say, hopefully those that have both here will comment.
    I do know that my G27 with DT loads has more felt recoil than my G20.

David

6. ShootCraps

ShootCraps

I fired a G29 with hot loads and it was very easy to control. LIke a 45ACP+P.

The Ten is awesome. ;)

7. GlockNation

GlockNation

>>>also have a S&W 340PD which I am less enthusiastic about. . . .it just hurts to shoot more than 20 .357s....<<<

The 340 I shot hurt enough after 3 rounds that I decided to stop. And I shoot 80 rounds a go from a Kahr PM40 regularly. But what a great carry gun, only 12 oz. There are trade offs in life.

I have shot the G29 three times, and really like it. In fact I have been agonizing the last few weeks about getting one v. getting a G27 or G33. The first time I shot the G29 was with the Winchester subsonic. Recoil was similar to my Kahr PM40, maybe just a little snapper. Double taps (2 shots, not the ammo) were not difficult with concentration. However, when I shot full house 10mm, I was left with the impression that quick double taps were unrealistic, at least for me. This is the only thing that has kept me from getting one for a CCW. With the Kahr or my Roughbaugh R9S I can double tap.

8. PaleGreenHorse

PaleGreenHorse 10mm

Alot more push than flip, I can get back on target faster with a DT 10mm load in my G29 than a warm .40sw load from my buddies G27. PGH~

9. Akita

Akita gone

IIRC, the 29 isnt all that different from the 30. Perhaps a little 'sharper', but if you are OK with the 30 I think you'll be OK with the 29.

10. jackofalltrades

jackofalltrades

Keep in mind also, if you get the G-29, You can get a drop-in barrel for .40sw and .357sig IF you want to. I don't know if you can do the same with the G-20.

11. smith10

smith10 10MM WOOOOOOT

Run some of the hotter stuff through you G30,you wil get a feel for what the G29 is like. Especially if you can get some of the DT 165 grain 45acp.

12. Wallygator

Wallygator

13. nickE10mm

nickE10mm F.S.F.O.S.

Its VICIOUS!! :cool: Nah, just kiddin'.... Its milder than a G23/G27 with .40 level loads and stout with full loads like Doubletap-but not 'painful', just stout. If you have a need for more power, as most 10mm aficionados do, you will appreciate the feel. Its just lovely.

14. tenmikemike

tenmikemike

Yeah, like Ken Griffey just unloaded a Louisville Slugger into your palm!! J/K!!!!:rofl: :tongueout:

15. kn38ms

kn38ms Glockaholic

Shoot 200gr Acp through a G30. There's your 29 recoil.

16. glock2901

glock2901 wayward member

Seems to me very similar to a 30.
    I can shoot my 29 all day. Used to have a 27-
    its the 357 snubby of Glocks!

17. Crazy Ed

Crazy Ed Senior Member

I've had 357 and 44 magnum revolvers in the past. The G29 recoil doesn't even come close. Using factory ammo recoil is neglible for me. Using DT's best, the 29 is a little snappy. Not bad though. Or to put it another way, if I were to shoot 2 dozen 44 mag rds my hands would be fairly buzzing with my old revolvers. I can shoot either the 29 or 20 all day!

Ed :supergrin:

18. Lesh

Lesh

My G20 has less recoil than my KelTec P3AT

19. SkippyThe

SkippyThe

The G29 I shot wasn't bad at all. I used to carry a G33 and it was a bit more than the G29. If you can handle +p through a G30 you can handle the G29. I personally prefer the longer grip of the G20 "I pinch my little finger between the mag and frame on both the G30 and th G29." Get what ever works best for you. ST

20. SNH Glocks

SNH Glocks

I find recoil to be a non-issue with my 29.
    Feels no different then shooting my 21. My 15 year
    old son does not find the recoil to be a problem either.