Can any of you tell me about Hounds

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Lowcountry_Glocker, Oct 7, 2015.

1. scout1

scout1

As Hartford mentioned hounds are bred to hunt. That's what they want to do. Google Mt. Fiest. Their not a hound, but used for squirrel hunting. We have 2 and they are great dogs. Ours mainly stay outside, but come in on a regular basis. Think of a Jack Russell but without the hyperness.

2. TX OMFS

TX OMFS Right wing nut Lifetime Member

I think he's a freak in regards to his size. He's big, slobbery, stinky (according to my wife), good with the kids, scary to strangers, and just plain cool. Rescue dog. Got him when he was about 6 years old.

3. DonMerlin

DonMerlin

Get two of them and they will keep each other occupied.

4. Koba

Koba

yeah, bloodhounds have a funk going on...I could see them bombing out an apartment lol

5. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

I have looked into them as well. My options are open.
    I found a beautiful adult redbone for rescue here, but with all your advice I think I will keep looking for something else.
    Look at this pretty lady:
    https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/33429563

I am loving the looks of the Catahoula mixes... my buddy told me to look into them as I'd never heard of them, but I would definitely try for a mix, not full blood.
    As yall have said, it might be a bit much for an apartment.

6. Koba

Koba

I would say go to a shelter, and see what's there. It's easy to get caught on one breed, but write off a great dog that you'd never thought of.

7. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

That's my intention. I'm just very picky - my girlfriend things bulldogs are the cutest thing in the world, sees it as a cuddle companion. I see it as an ugly, mushy faced mouth breather with thousands of dollars in vet bills :supergrin:
    My #1 is a pit, it's what I had growing up, but due to breed restrictions, can't have them. Her #1 is a German Shep., and same deal... kinda a PITA. I'll have to see if a mix of one of those breeds is acceptable, because there are TONS of those - that makes up probably 85% of the dogs in the shelters here, unfortunately.

8. Jack_Pine

Jack_Pine CLM

Not your exact choice but we had 2 consecutive beagles. Loved them to death. One this we had to watch for is they are wanderers for sure. They put their head down, get a sniff and the next thing they know they are two miles from home. Had to chase them down a few times. Chip them for sure.

9. plp

plp

Hounds are working dogs, and need a job every day or they will drive you nuts. They can be low energy or high energy, had a bluetick that spent 22 hours of every day asleep but for the two hours he was up was wide open.

You say you lead an active life and that it would not be a problem exercising it, if so charge on. They are by and large very friendly and socialize well with other dogs, in fact are happier in a pack than by themselves.

10. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

Is there a way to train them to minimize baying and howling in the house, or is that a pipe dream?
    We are on the third floor so I imagine it'd be eye level with tons of tree rats :)
    I would like to train the dog for hunts, but it would not be an every day occurrence by any means.

11. berto62

berto62

this is how my Basset spends most of hi time
    [​IMG]

Lowcountry_Glocker likes this.
  12. janice6

janice6

There are different types of Bulldogs. My sister has had multiple dogs at the same time for years and primarily Akitas (80/100 lbs). She is an avid dog obedience person.

She bought two purebred English Bulldogs. Had to get rid of one after he started to draw blood with other dogs (Akitas).

The Bulldog is 80 lbs. and very compact. When he moves, nothing stands in his way.
    Their respiratory medical expenses are very high and they require constant maintenance to keep them clean and minimize facial infections. Expensive dogs. She still loves them dearly.

Pick your breed/dog carefully.

13. Koba

Koba

I don't know that training dogs to be quiet when your not around esp would be all that successful. probably better to choose a quieter breed until you have a yard

14. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb Lifetime Member

I have a fair amount of experience with hounds, and I have a bluetick coonhound myself.

In my experience, they need a LOT of attention. They follow their nose, and will get into things constantly. Very loving dogs, that like to please. In an apartment setting, they will likely be too loud, and bored out of their mind. A hound can be an awesome pet, but they need space, and need to be worked with and played with.

I would not suggest that you get a hound of any kind in an apartment.

15. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

Janice, surprised by the aggressiveness of that English... gf's aunt has one and the damn thing will lick you to death. morbidly obese but that's besides the point :)
    Basset Hounds are hysterical to me, I wouldn't mind having one of them now that I think about it.

edit - thanks again to all. seems like a hound isn't the way to go. this was exactly the info I was looking for, you can never go by a dog site... wanted personal experience.

16. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

FWIW, retired racing greyhounds make excellent apartment dogs.
    They're sort of a cross between a cat and a houseplant, packaged in a dog's body.
    Non-allergic, pre-house broken and leash and crate trained. As for barking, my current greyhound barked once in 2010...but not a peep since.
    Quite happy to sleep 18 hours a day, while napping the remaining 6.

17. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

hahahaha. that description killed me.

18. southernshooter

southernshooter

Even in the same breed dogs have different personalities. We had a yellow lab that was never a minute's trouble, even as a puppy. Now we have a chocolate lab that is a wild thing. Will be one year old in 2 weeks. If she does not get to play catch with a tennis ball and run pretty hard, she will be bouncing off the walls when she comes in the house.