Can any of you tell me about Hounds

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Lowcountry_Glocker, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

Hey guys,
    My girlfriend and I are currently in the selection process of getting a pooch. We do live in an apartment, and unfortunately, we cannot have certain breeds do to a banned breeds list, which both of our first choices, so the search is on.

I've been looking into and researching hounds a bit, and I really like them, they seem like great dogs. My top two choices at this moment are the Redbone Coonhound, and a Treeing Walker. I've never owned a hound and admittedly do not know quite what to expect. I've seen some stories online of people saying they are excellent dogs but not if you're not diligent with them. Overall I'd just really like to know if this sounds like a disaster in an apartment environment or if it is workable. We're both very active and the dog would get it's exercise. I am just concerned with the barking/baying/etc in the house, there is nothing I hate more than people's dogs who just bark and won't shut up. As such, I do not want to do that to other people. We are on the top floor, so I feel that's the best place for least disturbance of other people, but still something I'm keeping in mind.

I'm unsure if we are going the puppy route, or an adult rescue. If a puppy, I do plan on teaching it to hunt.

All in all, I'm just looking for some general info, and experiences, about these breeds if you guys have any. What should I expect?
    Thanks in advance.

2. elsolo

elsolo

If you have any concerns about your dog barking while you aren't at home, hounds shouldn't be on your list.

NewWaveGuy and janice6 like this.

3. Deltic

Deltic

Dogs don't like being alone. If you both are at work at the same time two small dogs might be better than one medium sized one IMO. There are websites that rate dogs for different situations. It is not too hard to find the info.

plp likes this.
  4. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

I was just looking for personal experience.
    I know certain dogs are more prone to barking than others, for example, my old pits would never bark if no one was home, they'd only bark a little when playing.

5. janice6

janice6

Hounds are known for being outspoken. Loveable dogs though.

6. NewWaveGuy

NewWaveGuy BRAVIA 4 LIFE!

I had a Bassett Hound in college (my mom has one of her pups) and they are NOISY. She was definitely a chick magnet

7. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

that beagle just put a smile on my face, and my buddy told me to get a Bassett Hound - strictly because you will laugh every time you look at it.
    not my cup of tea but I'm glad you put him to good use ;)

8. Z71bill

Z71bill

9. Koba

Koba

Hounds are tough, they tend to be smelly, are prone to wandering off if given the chance (they wander off trailing animals) and they can be very stubborn. They are not the easiest dogs to train, esp if you're an inexperienced pet owner. They are quite noisy too.

I had a beagle for three years, never again. I keep a lab and a lab mix now and I'm much happier.

elsolo and Red Stick like this.
  10. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

I have a Catahoula/lab mix. He is one year old and a great dog. We got him because we were convinced he was a Jack Russell and figured a small house dog would be a good addition to our border collie and my wife's yippie dog.

He is basically a giant Beagle and is very active, curious, good natured...like most hounds. Get a harness for them to go on leash and you are good to go. Ryder, my 100 lb hound, plays with sticks, socks, kids, dogs, shadows, geckos, whatever... He keeps himself busy and loves to play.

I've never had (or really considered) a hound before, I have always had herding dogs that are hyper intelligent and driven. Hounds (at least mine) are much more laid back and fun. Had I known before i would have more hounds.

[​IMG]

janice6 likes this.
  11. The_Dan

Sorry for the black and white pic...that was during his "artsy" phase.

12. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

That's one beautiful dog, thanks for sharing.

janice6 likes this.
  13. Koba

Koba

I missed it on my first post, but I think a big hound in an apartment would be hard. Something less active like a bassett maybe, if the temperament is right for you

14. TX OMFS

TX OMFS Right wing nut Lifetime Member

Beagles are hyper. I wouldn't have one in an apartment. I've had 4 Bassett hounds. 2 were duds. 1 intact male rescue was my dog. I liked him, my wife thought he was a dirty old man (smelly, drooly, etc). I've had 2 bloodhounds. Both were excellent. Hounds will shed and my neutered male bloodhound drools moderately (female did not). Beagles and Bassetts are noisy. My bloodhounds have been surprisingly quiet.

I recommend bloodhounds.

Joe! likes this.
  15. Hartford

Hartford

Hounds are hunting dogs. Not apartment dogs. The only hounds I have experience with were bred and trained for either bear or coon hunting. They weren't even in the house animals. Your experiences may differ, but you should really talk to a breeder.

16. Koba

Koba

I like blood hounds, I'm on a canine search and rescue team and they are great trailing dogs. House pets...eh...I dunno.

17. The_Dan

2x for bloodhounds and Catahoula mixes...Catahoulas are bigger hounds and while bigger is generally calmer...purebred Catahoulas are known to be a very energetic breed when young. Mix a little Lab or Golden (both common mixes) and you have a much larger hound that is sturdy and not too energetic for their own good. Watch the paw size...mine has pie plate sized paws. For comparison I have large hands, xl gloves.
    [​IMG]

Get a puppy...we got ours at 8 weeks and I wouldn't have it any other way. He is so bonded to my son and wife that I am not concerned at all whe I'm not home. He sounds like a rhino on the other side of the front door and I have to manage when the pool guy comes around so I don't have to get a new pool guy. Plus they are super cute pups.
    [​IMG]

That was 9lbs the day we got him, and 40 ish lbs 3 months later on the same sized dog bed...who could say no to that face? Well, I have...like 5000 times but just about eating socks.

janice6 likes this.
  18. TX OMFS

TX OMFS Right wing nut Lifetime Member

My male bloodhound lost a few pounds lately. He's down to 155 and still scares strangers. I like it that way.

janice6 likes this.
  19. The_Dan

I didn't know bloodhounds got that big... That might be our next addition.

20. elsolo

elsolo

The only hound I would have in an apartment is a Dachshund.

RoyHinkley likes this.