close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Can any Glock compete against a Kimber or other high end pistol?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jamestech, Jul 17, 2002.

1. jamestech

jamestech Pavement Hugger

Can any Glock compete against a Kimber or other high end pistol?
    I plan on joining some leauges this fall and am not sure if I should stay with Glock or get something else.

Now granted I still need alot of practice but do I have a fighting chance at all using a Glock?
    I have a 23 and am a hair's breath away from buying a 21 as well but I am starting to think I should buy something else for competing and use my 23 for self defense only.

Thanks

2. taildragger

taildragger

I've never competed, so this is strictly anecdotal evidence. The two friends I go to the range with most frequently don't like Glocks. One has a Kimber .45 and one has a Springfield .45. It drives them crazy that, not only am I more accurate at 25 yards with my Glock 21, but THEY are more accurate at that distance with the Glock than with their own pistols. Perhaps just a freaky coincidence, but it always puts a smile on my face.

3. MarkP

MarkP

4. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Only David Sevigny's Glock 34 can best a Kimber,(Top overall 2001 IDPA Nationals).

5. MarkP

MarkP

David Sevigny could probably win with a Raven 25acp

6. Lobo

Lobo Who farted??

I started competing in '98 in USPSA w/ a 21 bought a STI Edge(1911) in 2000 ditched it after 6 months and now I'm back to the same 21 and I will never leave it again. Also, you don't need to think that your Glock will handicap you 'cause as we all know a Glock stands in no ones shadow.

7. badbilly429

badbilly429

there are many people who compete with glocks and win lots of events, i even saw guys at the last steal match i was in with racing glocks smokin the guys with the 1911's. hell i shot better than half the people in the stock class, with my glock 27 and factory 180 gr blazers.

8. Roland-G23

Roland-G23 STI Convert

I compete in USPSA and Speed Steel with a Glock 34. In my last big steel match, I finished 33rd out of 109.

Its the shooter that makes all the difference, and with practice this year, I have consistently improved. If this past weekend's results are indicative of my capabilities, I will get classified in C Class for Production in USPSA (currently unclassified) as soon as I get some more classifiers under my belt.

Quality practice has made the difference for me. Last year I would just go out and shoot with no agenda. This year I go out with specific areas I want to improve upon, and I am very satisfied with my results.

Bottom line is you can be competitive with any gun if you practice and set some realistic goals for yourself.

9. eljay45

eljay45 NRA member

The 1911 is mechanically faster than the Glock but the person pressing the trigger makes the difference. I shoot IDPA with my Kimber mostly, but when I shoot my G30 I place just as well. You can definately compete with a Glock. I am considering the G34 to use as an IDPA gun. If you want to use the same ammo you might look at the G22 or G35 if you are going to buy a gun for competition.

10. Dump1567

Dump1567

I'll let you know in a few months. I've been using my tricked-out 35 for USPSA. It's taken me to C class in 3 months, but I am stepping-up to an STI (or down). I'm keeping my 35 just in-case the STI doesn't work out. I'm still going to use my 34 for Steel matches and my 17 for GSSF. I'm pretty new to the GAMES, and am still experimenting with equipment. I'll let you know how it works out.

11. marvin

marvin sci-fi nut

i love this. yes a glock can compete with anything. my glock took me to 3rd place finish at last years michigan uspsa state match in limited class so it will play with the 1911's. i'm an A class shooter that uses a glock 24;b

12. SSC

SSC

But of course. It ain't the gun, but the nut behind the butt!
    The 21 frame is too big for me. I shoot the 17 and the 22 much
    faster, as well more accurately at speed.
    The 21 seems to be sluggish to me. The 17/22 stay where
    I want them with splits of .17, the 21, for me, my splits are
    slower, .21.

Good luck, SSC

13. Canuck

Canuck

In April, Area 1's first "Area-level" 3-Gun match showed that a Glock shooter can do just nicely, thankyou. The Limited match winner was Patrick Kelley and his pistol was a Glock 35. And he's left-handed to boot..;f

14. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

It all depends, if we are comparing two shooters with the exact same skill set the answer is yes the Glock shooter can compete successfully in USPSA’s Limited, Limited 10 and Production divisions or in IDPA’s SSP, ESP divisions. It’s only in USPSA’s Open Class that Glock’s come up short when compared to 1911's with double stack magazines like Para-Ordnance, STI, SV or Caspian.

15. MarkP

MarkP

didn't he do it with an inside the waistband holster??

16. Mtrclass

Mtrclass

The Glock can be made to be competitive with any other gun on the market for competition. It is, and will remain, different from the 1911 no matter how you modify it, but different is not the same as inferior.

You need to tighten up the barrel/slide lockup, replace the sights, and do a trigger job ( the same things you need to do on a 1911). After that the Glock is equal to just about any competition task you can ask. And this includes USPSA Open class as well.

Glock's can be built in an Open class configuration very successfully. About the only short coming is the unavailablility of a 170mm magazine.

If you can do your part, a properly tuned Glock will do its........

17. jamestech

jamestech Pavement Hugger

Thanks all, I am going to go ahead and get the 21 then, I would get a 35 but I already have a 23 that I love dearly and I want to try other caliber Glocks out.

Happy Shooting!:)

18. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

Bob,

While I respect your shooting skills, I respectfully disagree with your assessment of a Glock's capabilities in Open Class. If that was the case then you would see more shooters using Glock’s in the Open Class configuration since the actual cost of conversion is lower in a Glock than for a Double stack 1911.

It’s my opinion that the reason you don’t see as many Glock’s in Open Class competition is specifically because of the Glock trigger. I have yet to find one that can be made as light and with as short a reset as what some local smiths like Will, Jimmy or Eric can do with a 1911 trigger.

With regards to the 170mm tubes Taylor Freelance makes an extension that will make a pre ban magazine comply with the maximum length requirements for an Open Class magazine so it’s not really a magazine issue. BTW, here’s the link for Taylor’s web site.
    http://www.taylorfreelance.com/products/floorplates.htm

19. Canuck

Canuck

MarkP:

>>didn't he do it with an inside the waistband holster??<<

Yes, I believe he used a CCW rig. Pretty neat, eh?:)

20. marvin

marvin sci-fi nut

i think that the glock in open isn't more popular is no good comps for it and can't be had in 38 super. with 9x21 and a good comp and glock reliably i think it could play just fine.