close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Can a lost cat find its way home

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by tango3065, Dec 24, 2006.

1. tango3065

tango3065

Our cat has been missing for 2 - 3 weeks and I have went door to door in the area and it has been spotted a few times but since he is not a freindly cat he don't get around people much. Talked to my wifes uncle today and they spotted him behind their house in the field this morning and are going to try and catch him if they see him again. The thing is they live about 1 1/2 - 2 miles down the road on the opposite side of the road but they said it was for sure him and but couldn't tell if the collar was still on him.

Do you think that he might return on his own after that long?

My dog went crazy a couple nights ago and when I went out it looked like it was my cat and he was running away from me, could he of went wild?

2. RickJZ

RickJZ

remain optimistic...there's a good chance he will return. Cats seem to do every thing on their own terms.

3. photo_guy

photo_guy

Yes, a cat can find it's way home. Remain hopeful. Put up "lost cat" posters with pictures, etc.; check the local shelters.
    Was your cat microchip'd? This is a good way to increase the odds that your cat could be returned if it lost it's collar and is brought to a shelter.

By the way, a little story for you: We had some neighbors that decided they really didn't want to keep their Maine Coon Cat and brought it to a relatives farm about 20 miles away and left it there. The cat showed up back at their house about 4 weeks later.

4. maximusjc74

maximusjc74

Around a year ago me and my girlfriend moved to Virginia to be closer to both are our families along with our two cats. One is very independent that doesnt even want to be petted and the other is a young female that we adopted that is a coward if i ever seen one. Not long after we moved here our front door didnt latch and even though it was locked the wind blew it open and the independent cat ran away. You talk about two upset individuals. I drove around, hiked for hours, missed worked just to find this cat, did everything short of putting up flyers but i was on the verge of doing that. Every morning my gf would open the front door for hours just hoping that he would show up and walk in. Well to make a long story short out of the blue one morning a mud covored maine coon cat by the name of caleb came strolling back in like nothing had happened. We were very worried because he is declawed and as to my knowledge had never been outside and was in a new state to beat it all and he still made it home. So be strong and keep looking, wouldnt hurt to set out some food which im sure that you have already done. good luck- jamie

5. sniper350

sniper350

Sorry to hear about your misshap with your pet. The cat running away from you is not at all unusual after being 2 or 3 weeks on its own. It is not that the cat has "turned wild" .........but it has turned more "cautious" in order to survive. All of nature's instincts have kicked in full bore in your house pet.

The cat will recognize your voice.........more so than what you look like, so when attempting a rescue - use lots of vocal skills to get the cat to accept you again.

The cat has many skills to assist him in finding "home". Smell is high on the list. But because of this fact, your cat has many scent barriers he must cross in order to get back to his home. Everything in nature will tell him NOT to tresspass on other animal's territories. Place some bedding, that your cat used often, outside near your house to act as a scent attractant.

Remember, your voice will be your best bet in getting your cat close to you again. Wish you much luck !

JF.

6. The Factor

The Factor

Hope he finds his way home soon .