close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Can a Glock compete...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 556fan, Oct 29, 2002.

1. 556fan

556fan

A friend of mine made a comment the other day that a Glock could not compete with the 1911 race gun crowd. Having never competed, I could not offer any facts to prove him wrong. But I personally think the shooter has more to do with it than the gun used. How about giving me some "ammo" to use in our next discussion. (The conversations always wind up the same with him) Experiences, nationally ranked competitors in non GSSF matches. John

2. MarkCO

MarkCO CLM Millennium Member

I agree that a stock Glock can not compete with a 1911 race gun, but that is apples and oranges.

Take a box stock Glock, and a box stock Colt Mil Spec and run them head to head over say 350 rounds like at a nationals...given equal shooter skill, my money is on the Glock.

OTOH, a race tuned G35 (I am talking all the legal mods plus a top end trigger job Like CGRs Top-Fuel) in IPSC limited vs. an equal cost 1911, I'll still bet on the Glock.

But, if you pull out all the stops on a 1911 vs. a fully tricked out Glock, given equal shooter skill, it might very well be a toss up. Fact is, very few people spend $1300 on a Glock to make it run full tilt. People will dump $3000 into a 1911 to squeeze every bit of capability out of the platform and not even think about it.

When I move from a slightly modified Glock to a good 1911 in Limited 10, my scores improve slightly. But, I am more familiar, and used to a Glock. A 1911 shooter will be more familiar with a 1911.

Maybe we can get Burkett to go run some El Prez and other drills with his race 1911 and one of CGRs race Glocks with the same factory ammo and see what the actual measured difference is. Matt is a 1911 shooter predominantly, but he is one of the few GMs that is equally good on all platforms and I know he has shot Glocks in competition.

3. macgregor45

macgregor45 who???

556fan, I noticed you live in my home state. Do you belong to any shooting clubs in the area?

I have found the perfect antedote to the 1911 goons that say a Glock can't compete against blahblah. Just retort, 'not in your hands at least'. ;f

4. ajm

ajm Millennium Member

556- Warning, long post!!
    I have been competing in some form of handgun shooting since 1977. Also in that year I had an accident and lost 70% use of my right hand. I became left handed and shot with a 1911 form gun for many years, I was a B class USPSA shooter. In '93 my right hand got so weak that I could not shoot a 1911 safely in "weak hand only" stages. I could not be competitive with the 1911 anymore. At that time I found that I could shoot a glock in the weak hand with no problems. I have been shooting glocks since then and somehow made Master class in both limited and production divisions. This year I have been fortunate enough to win the production division in 4 states and 2 areas with a Glock. Last weekend I shot a state three gun match and won master class, again with a glock. A glock can compete.

That said, I have not personally seen anyone shoot a scoped and compensated glock at the level that say, Max Michel is shooting an STI. By the time that you get that good you probably have a full sponsorship, those sponsorship things are hard to come by shooting something besides a 1911, that is where the money is. So, in terms of "open guns" it is unusual to see one of the top shooters using a Glock.

5. Southern Yankee

Southern Yankee Glockaholic

It's even better when you beat them with their high dollar blahblah..
    Especially shooting minor. G-34 from IDPA legal gear. ;f

AJ? From Marianna?
    If so are you shooting the Louisiana Match this weekend? Don and I will be there.

George

6. ZackJones

ZackJones

There's no doubt about it - a Glock can compete with a 1911, particularly in the USPSA limited class. I know of two master class shooters (one of them being the #4 ranked Master class shooter according to USPSA's top 20 list) who compete in local matches practically every month and they run neck and neck for the match win. Rob, the #4 ranked guy is on the Air Force shooting team and shoots an STI Edge. Bill shoots a box stock Glock 35.

DVC,
    Zack

7. 556fan

556fan

Unfortunately I don't belong to any shooting clubs, mainly because I'm not aware of any...

On a lighter note, the anti-glock friend has suddenly changed his tune. He's now trying to get rid of his Sig 220 for a Glock 35. Claims that "Glocks are all they teach at the academy".
    John

8. Ricky T

Ricky T Millennium Member

Don't tell Dave Sevigny and Chris Patty that a Glock can't compete with 1911 rooney guns.

9. macgregor45

macgregor45 who???

556fan, tell me the general area you are in and I'll happily point you in the right direction. :)

10. TRNinVA

TRNinVA

I have a thirteen year old son that shoots a G34 in Production. At local matches he regularly beats M Class Open and Lim shooters on stages. At a match two weeks ago he finished 5th overall out of 56 shooters. The Glock can compete if the shooter is up to it.

macgregor45, my sons and I shot on your squad at FGN. My youngest posts as IPSC G34 here. He beat TJ on two stages at the Nationals.

11. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

Can a Glock compete against a 1911 in Limited or Limited 10 most definitely in Open well the juries still out on that one. I regularly compete in USPSA/IPSC in the Limited division with a tricked out G35 that has with every feature Markco mentions and then some and I have to say that its more reliable than some of my STI ‘s, SV’s and Para’s that I still own.

12. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

TrninVA

Based on your earlier claims it seems like your son is going to be like KC Eusebio(BTW he uses 1911’s in Open configuration not Glocks), but I find it hard to accept that a Production shooter is regularly beating M Class shooters with Open guns. But then again I have seen stranger things happen in this lifetime.

13. macgregor45

macgregor45 who???

ryucasta, hehe, you haven't seen his son shoot!

Hey Norris gang! Been shootin' lately? Sounds like it. You guys planning on going to Nationals next year again? I am, man that was a lot of fun.

14. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

Macgregor (Shotokan Man),

Granted I haven’t seen his son compete, but I still find it hard to believe that anyone with a ? class competing in Production division would be regularly beating M class shooters in the Open or Limited gun division.

The Production divisions are scored differently than the Open Division (Minor vs. Major) and the Production division shooter would need to deal with more magazine changes than the Open Division shooter would (10 rounds vs. +24 rounds)

BTW, here are the results from the 2002 Steel Challenge Leatham won both Open (1st Overall) and Limited (12th Overall) with Sevigny SSP placing 42nd overall.

http://home.socal.rr.com/fletcherkands/2002SteelChallenge.htm

15. TRNinVA

TRNinVA

ryucasta,

I did not mean to imply that my son was beating M class Open and Limited shooters on overalls although it has happened locally. However, on speed shoots with close targets and no mag changes he can stand and shoot with some of the best. Consistent sub second draws from a Blade-Tech and .16 splits make him a fairly quick shooter.

Matt,

We hope to be going to FGN again next year if IPSC G34 hasn't made the transition to Open. He wants to be the first Jr. GM shooting a plastic open gun! Maybe we can request the same squadding along with the Austrian cowboy.

16. macgregor45

macgregor45 who???

That's a great idea. When FGN gets closer we'll see if we can round up the same guys. Speaking of our flamboyent Austrian cowboy, I saw an article that mentioned Waldinger the other day, can't remember where. I know myself and Ronnie are definately going again, I believe Larry, Jack, Wayne and Chad will also, although I had to talk Larry into not throwing that G35 out in the river on the way back. ;)

17. Krag

Krag Guest

Ask Lin Webb (glockmechanic@earthlink.com), the 2002 North Carolina Limited Ten champion. He shoots a modified G35 that he built himself and whupped a whole passle of high dollars 1911 shooters. ;a