Can a G26 be my only gun?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by brianr34, Feb 20, 2010.

1. brianr34

brianr34

I currently only own one handgun and it is a G19. I bought it for home defense, IDPA , range and potential CCW.

I recently started doing CCW and the G19 seems a little bit big and heavy to be comfortable as a EDC. I have tried it IWB with Raven Concealment and OWB with Glock Sport holster.

I am considering buying a G26 to replace the G19. My plan is to have only one handgun. Can the G26 serve all of my purposes OK?

My thought is, I will be more likely to carry the G26, since it is smaller and a little bit lighter. My only concern is home defense with the G26. Is there a big concern with not having a light for a home defense gun?

2. texan650

texan650

The 26 is a fine gun and could be your one and only, but given the choice between it and the 19 --- I would keep the 19. It's perfect for home defense and cc.

3. sgt-spam

sgt-spam NRA Life Member

Between the 19 and 26, there's no way I would give up the 19.

The 26 is smaller and lighter, but I could definitely do without.

The 19 is what I would consider the perfect size. I can conceal easily with a Crossbreed SuperTuck or Galco Royal Guard, it has plenty of capacity, and I feel I shoot it very well.

Plus, if you use lights, the 26 doesn't have a rail.

For me it's a no brainer - I'd stick with the 19.

4. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Only gun?!? [​IMG]

Seriously though... Any gun could be your only gun. Practice with it. There are more lethal options, but having any gun that you are good with is infinitely better than having no gun.

Like the rest of us, once you have one...... you'll have more soon enough.

5. Bruce M

Bruce M

"Is there a big concern with not having a light for a home defense gun? "

People with only one gun have successfully protected themselves for a couple years here. In fact some guys with only one gun managed to found our nation. Rails to hang all sorts of stuff including lights are a bit less than a century newer than a .45 1911 pistol or a Smith K frame revolver. A light on your gun may be a nice option but I don't think its necessary.

There is an old saying "Beware the man with only one gun - he probably knows how to use it"

6. ricky_arthur

ricky_arthur

I thought the saying was "Beware the man with only one gun - his wife won't let him have more" :whistling: JK

please do not bring up the possibilty that a man can live with only one gun. :faint: It had been well established that men need at least as many guns as can be crammed into the gunsafe plus some on the closet shelves and a few under his bed...oh and one in the truck.

Seriously keep the 19 and if u need a smaller carry weapon get the 26 ALSO.

7. firefighter4215

firefighter4215

I don't see any reason you couldn't trade your 19 for a 26. You could keep a bigger mag in it for home defense, then use the small mag for concealed carry.

As for the light, I'd rather have a bright LED flashlight in my hand rather than mounted to the gun. If you have it mounted to the gun it gives the bg a place to aim. If you hold the light in your hand off to the side it won't. Just my $.02. A 12 gauge shotgun is my home defense gun.

8. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Keep your 19 & learn to conceal it when needed. It's the better all around gun if your only going to have 1.

9. poe

poe

10. glockfanbob

glockfanbob

Yes I believe the 26 could, depending on your situation (i.e. no hiking in the woods with bears). The 26 is very concealable. Carry an G19 or G17 mag as a backup when out and about and use a 33rd mag for home defense.

However if I had a 19 currently I'd try to find a really good IWB holster to conceal it better.

11. speedydave

speedydave KoolAid Drinker

You would be fine with a 26 only. I have 2 26's and a 19. The 26 has the bevels on slide that make it much easier to carry.

My advice, keep the 19 and get a 26.

12. hogarth

hogarth

I would stick with the 19. It's the better all around gun. Some may scoff at the idea of a weapon mounted light, but I like them. Holding a flashlight way off to one side in your offhand seems like a good idea, but good luck getting it and your gun hand aligned correctly in order to shoot. Plus, pics taken of people using this technique show it for what it is when viewed from the front: a person holding a light way out to the side!

If you must have the 26, I'd make it my second gun, if for no other reason than this:

Suppose the unthinkable happens and you must use your gun for self-defense. Now it gets confiscated by the police for who-knows-how-long, and now you are gunless when, if you think about it, you might need a gun the most! Who is to say what friend or family member of the person you defended yourself against won't come looking for retribution? Better to have 2 guns than just 1.

13. Waffen Monk

Waffen Monk

Keep the 19 for IDPA and home defense, and buy the 26 for ccw. Thats what I do and it has been great:wavey:

14. Kosher Larry

Kosher Larry MWAG

Three is two
    Two is one
    One is none

I own both a G19 and G26. They both have their function in life. Having a backup is a good thing. It doesn't even have to be as dramatic a situation as the one above. It could be something as stupid as you dropped your gun in the cats' water bowl, tried detail stripping it to get it all cleaned out but got spooked by all the tiny pieces and decided to take it to a certified armorer. If I didn't have my G26, I'd be gunless until Monday.

True story, BTW:

https://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1186895

15. tantone56

tantone56 Love my G23!!!

I bought the Glock 23 as my "only gun." A little over a year later I am working on guns number four and five. When you get bit by the bug it does some heavy damage to your wallet, but you will love it.

16. brianr34

brianr34

I am really trying hard to stick with only one handgun. I'm afraid if I start having more than one Glock, I will not stop buying. :embarassed:

So far, I have not tried using a real gun belt. I have only used a dress belt. What is the main benefit of a gun belt? I assume it is much stronger and helps keep the gun in place.

Do a gunbelt also help with making the gun "feel" lighter when carrying?

I am also bumming because my Raven concealment holster is scratching the slide on my G19. I understand that holstering will create slide wear, but this seems strange, because they are scratches. :crying:

17. just a shooter

just a shooter

two is one and one is none.

if you were to have a catastrophic failure of your one gun, then what?

how long will it be to replace that one gun?

will you be able to replace it?

financial issues (loss of income), government bans, inflation, political panic buying (shortages) all play into the two is one theory.

if your SERIOUS about personal protection, it is a commitment, not a hobby. it takes investment in time, effort and equipment.

the easy part is in equipment, (buying guns and ammo) the real test of commitment is in investment of time and effort in training.

many good carpenters have more than one hammer and one saw, they know their livelihood depends on being able to quickly adjust to mishaps on the job. so should you be able to adjust and adapt to changes in your potential survival.

relying on luck is a fools game and only fools play it.

18. brutus895

brutus895

Hey Brian, hope that Glock 19 has been good to you. I agree with "just a shooter" in the statement that two is one and one is none. Especially if you CCW. Nice thing about owning both the 19 and the 26 is that you can share mags. Carry the 26 with its mag and then use the 19 mag as your reload.

If you're going to CCW, you gotta use a gunbelt. Regular belts just don't provide the support needed to carry your pistol.

The scratches on your 19 are the result of carrying with kydex. All holsters will wear unfortunately kydex wears worse than leather. I'd be willing to buy that holster back if you don't want it.

Send me an email if you wanna try or borrow one of my gun belts.

19. Waffen Monk

Waffen Monk

Dude that is already whats happening:tongueout:

Seriously though, keep the 19 and buy the 26, then your bases will be covered!

20. dregotglock

dregotglock CHL Instructor

The belt will make a huge difference in how close the gun will sit next to your body and also with comfort. IMHO stick with the 19 and get a gun belt. Carried a 23 for many many years and found it to conceal well. Does not have to be an expensive endeavor - Look at Akers or Cabellas for low cost alternative.