Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I’m at wits end – either I can’t shoot Glocks, or the Glocks can’t shoot. I’ve owned a 21, 35, 24, 22, 27 and 17L. Out of all of them, the only one I’d say I had adequate groups with were the 21 and the 22(?!) The rest, including the long slides were/are pitiful when I’m involved. I’ve been a bullseye shooter (several custom 1911s) IDPA (Beretta 92), police officer (38/357 revolvers & Beretta) and have dabbled in bowling pin and action shooting with the M21 and various 1911s. Based on my skills with guns other than Glocks I would rate myself as a very good shot. This is a not a “bash Glocks” thread – I’m truly trying to figure this out. As I mentioned the only one I’ve owned that had close to one hole accuracy up 15yards and shot around 2-3 inches at 25 was the 22! I found this very surprising given the assumed accuracy of the “target” Glocks. The 35 & 24 were just plain horrible, even at 7 yards it was difficult to put 5 rounds touching – while any of the other guns I’ve owned, well I’d be embarrassed if I couldn’t put all shots through a single hole at 7 yards. This just doesn’t make sense to me.

Today was the latest twist. I took my new 17L out to the range, along with my carry Sig P250 compact, to burn up some premium federal 9mm ammo. This was the first outing for the Glock since purchase. The groups at 7 again (I guess my starting off point) were lousy – it was very difficult to put all shots close to touching. At 15 yards, the group opened up to about 4x6!!! This is after a week of dry firing the glock. I then break out the Sig p250 (double action only, which anyone would expect to be harder to shoot) and one hole (repeated 4 times of 5 shots at 4 1” pasters) at 7 yards and then about a 3 inch group at 15.

I had purchased the 17L as I guess I’ve always wanted a tack driving Glock. I’d guessed that my issues with the 35 & 24 were actually related to their barrel length – in that the extra velocity might be messing with accuracy – I came to this conclusion based on the outstanding accuracy I’d experienced with the 22. So, I sold them and bought the 17L as the 9mm is actually a very inherently accurate round – more so than even the benchmark 45acp. I figured if I were to find a truly accurate Glock, the longest barrel and the fundamentally most accurate cartridge would have to be it. I was pretty disappointed today.

Anyhow, I’ve seen this over and over. I can shoot my 1911s, my berettas, sigs and revolvers (even under timed conditions) – but not Glocks. I’ve now simply got to find out why. I cannot figure how I can take a defensive pistol (Sig p250) with half the length of barrel and a DAO trigger and shoot twice as good groups (using same ammo) as the target pistol.

I can shoot single action pistols just fine and am just about as good with the DAO kind. Having said that, could it be something weird between me and the striker system of the Glock? I would say that when dry firing the Glock that, unless I am very careful I will often notice a lateral movement (to the right and back to the left) of the front sight if I do not pull the trigger perfectly. I seldom if ever notice this with any other handgun. Could it be something like the trigger in conjunction with the grip angle or size? I’m not sure, but would really like to figure this out.

Thanks for any input and sorry if I seem to be picking on Glocks or immodest about my opinion of my shooting skills, I just really want to figure this out. I’m ready to go out and dump a ton of cash into a Fulcrum trigger with all of the goodies, but am concerned that ~$300 later, I still might not be seeing what I like, if the issue isn't the trigger pull, but more related to some wierd dynamic with the striker system. It may seem silly and a lot of people have said, “why keep messing with them if they aren’t for you?” I guess it is the challenge, figuring out the unknown and the fact that I *really* like the guns – just can’t see to shoot them half as good as any other pistol I’ve ever picked up…

-Calvin

·
Am Yisrael Chai
34,842 Posts
Stock triggers?

I'm not a pro, but I am all over the place until I go to a 3.5 trigger pull. THat fixes it for me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe the 24, 35 & 17L all have "3.5" triggers in them. Interestingly enough - I could shoot groupw the same size as the 35/24 with the 27 (5lb trigger) and 2 that I seemed to do best with (G21 & 22) both were 5lb models as well.

For more grist for the mill. I'm wondering if this isn't related in part to the release of the striker or what happens to the trigger bar after releasing. On a DAO or even SA gun, once the trigger releases and the hammer falls there isn't much else going on until the hammer strikes the firing pin. I'm not sure what happens inside a glock.

·
Am Yisrael Chai
34,842 Posts
I'm thinking its the "old Glock trigger" syndrome because you are spot on with other pistols.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Dont' take this wrong, but I'd sell all those Glocks and buy some more Sigs and HK's and 1911's. Seriously. Why beat yourself up? I'd guess it's the grip angle. Triggers on Glocks are not *that* bad.

They are clearly not for you and the other guns you own, you're much much better.

Sort of the same reason I gave up Golf. I sucked at it but I don't suck at shooting and playing guitar and building amps. So, I stick with hobbies I enjoy. I'm always up for a challenge. but in the case of Golf, lack of progress over a number of years... time for something else.

I'd get rid of those Glocks and buy some other toys.

·
JABRONI AUTIST
7,625 Posts
Glock triggers take getting accustomed to. I've seen several people who can shoot other pistols well but can't shoot accurately with a Glock. Dry fire like a mad man until you can get super consistent and not jerk the gun around while squeezing the trigger. Keep the sight picture as perfectly still as you can throughout the trigger pull.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Glock triggers take getting accustomed to. I've seen several people who can shoot other pistols well but can't shoot accurately with a Glock. Dry fire like a mad man until you can get super consistent and not jerk the gun around while squeezing the trigger. Keep the sight picture as perfectly still as you can throughout the trigger pull.

Agreed. I would also say the weight is different, and maybe you could say the way the recoil is felt is different. Not sure how to describe it, but I was not new to handguns when I got my G17, but I couldn't hit anything with it for a long time. I had a Witness .45 that made small groups for me, shot my friends .357 Tauris with ease, but the GLOCK had me befuddled. Not sure what changed, but I feel more than adequate now with my G17 and my relatively new G23. I think lots of work on grip, stance, and trigger control, hav made the difference. Lots of dry-fire, and just holding the gun, seem to have helped a lot.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
have to agree with scott_f

sounds like you (the OP) and glocks don't work well together. if you shoot other guns better, sell the glocks and don't look back

i shot my g27 as well or better than my g35, believe it or not. the g27 just pointed really well for me, for some reason, maybe it was the balance. the 9mm models work very well for me

you've tried plenty of models (granted, not a 19 or 26) to make a reasonable comparison. i wouldn't lose sleep over it

·
Crash Dummy
27 Posts
In my experience, Glocks seem to magnify any mistake I make when working the trigger. Once you can work one satisfactorily, you can pick up most other pistols and shoot fairly accurately with less effort.

If I were you, I would try one of the Ghost trigger connectors with an over-travel stop on it to see if it is the over-travel after the striker is released that is affecting your accuracy. The other guns you mentioned all work on a hammer drop. The follow through on a Glock has always seemed different than most other pistols to me.

For me, the Glock is a purely defensive pistol. I can squeeze out a one hole group at about ten yards if I really work at it, but I know that I will probably never need that kind of accuracy out of a self defense gun (so accuracy doesn't really matter to me as much as the other benefits the Glock gives me). If you are strictly shooting just for accuracy or competition, maybe you should stay with a different platform. If your stubborn like me and you hate to give up, then try the other connector, and see if you can find another shooter that can wring the accuracy that your wanting out of your Glocks just to see that it's possible. Good luck!

·
Registered
13,585 Posts
best groups i've ever seen from a glock were with some of my match loads from a rest, 3" at 25 yards. worse i seen were 165gr. WW white box, 9" or more from a rest at 25 yards. have you tried a machine rest, or a rest? played around with ammo selction?

·
RetiredDinosaur
11,583 Posts
Can you dry fire the gun without moving the sights?

I didn't take the time to read your whole post or the many replies, but if you're a bullseye shooter, you likely know what a 'ball & dummy' drill is....get a few dummy rounds and do it, you'll quickly see where the problem is.

:patriot:

·
Registered
4 Posts
If I owned six or seven Glocks and none of them performed the way I expected them to, I would not buy any more. Some gun designs just don't fit. I would say that I have found three things do help. A Bar-sto barrel can improve your groups. A trigger improvement can improve your groups. Finding the best ammunition can help. The one thing that has helped me the most is improving my trigger technique. For me, a G23 is like an extension of my hand. It's almost like anything I can point my finger at, I can hit with my 23. jb

·
Registered
9,247 Posts
Sounds like a grip angle issue. Also with Glocks, you need to lock your wrist. The grip angle is meant for a more isosceles stance and much of the initial recoil must be absorbed by your body, not the gun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts