Camry running perfectly, then just dies, now won't start

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by itisbruno, Dec 14, 2019.

1. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

Thanks man.

2. 308M1A

308M1A

Ill pass, thanks.

3. 308M1A

308M1A

Re: #1, thats not my experience.
    With toyota anyway, my camrys 1st battery lasted 6 years, over 120000 miles.

It sounds more like youre confusing it with Subaru. The 2015 i just dumped in a trade lasted exactly 3 1/2 years. Going to replace it, i found the car was rated for a 550 cca battery.

The oem i pulled out of it was less than 300. Not making this up. Subaru cheeses out on OEM parts. Dog approved, apparently whatever a dog chooses goes in the car.

Dont even get me started on piston rings. The car consumed a quart of oil every 3000 miles. From new. Was told it was normal, the new thin oils nowadays, ya know?

When i got an oil light 1200 miles after that and had to add a second quart (at 64000 miles, 4000 after the warranty ended), i ditched it. Enough already.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    nrajeff likes this.
  4. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

Never had a Subaru. 2 2014 Camry's and a '10 Venza did it though. I loved that Venza and I'm not a SUV/Crossover type person. The thing was title a "Cargo Van" from the factory. I guess crossover hadn't made the main stream for a classification to the DMV yet. LOL

5. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

Subaru has an oil consumption issue...wife 's 2015 is getting a short block under warranty in about a month.

6. 308M1A

308M1A

How did this play out? How many miles when you went toe to toe w dealership?
    Were they difficult about it?
    Did they authorize a consumption test with a free oil change then come back in 1000 miles for a consumption check?
    Do the rebuild your existing engine or drop in a new one?

7. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

Try replacing the Hamster. . .

jimcorbin, 308M1A and quantico like this.
  8. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

I would try either.. if it runs then you likely have a fuel pump or filter issue

9. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

This is 2019 chief... they use guina pigs now

10. thespork

thespork

So you are saying he's the most awesomest mechanic ever???
    Seriously though, that made me lol...

Scottie has some good videos, although yeah, I question some of his proclamations

11. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

I heard about this issue a year ago but I always check my vehicles oil level at least every two weeks and I would just top off none the wiser

Went in with 56k ( still under factory warranty) so they changed the oil and started the consumption test and it failed with the acceptable parameters, the service dept sent in paperwork and Subaru approved new short block...no out of pocket for me..they will provide a loaner vehicle. I will have them change the plugs and serpentine belt..I will buy parts as the labor is included.

It also helps I work with the automotive industry and talked to the service manager and dealt with him before.

I was perhaps the 5th person the first time I went in there with the same issue.. So it is known issue on the few year old Subarus. I heard due to the 0W20 oil

12. LostinTexas

I'm sure Subaru is blaming it on what they can. I have a 2014 Camry that runs 0W20, it get changed at 10K per the oil life counter, and has never used enough to see it on the stick.
    LostWife has a '18 that uses 0W16 it performs the same.
    If they would build it to use that weight and they probably do, it shouldn't use much. I hear a quart every oil change is acceptable. Well I don't think so, but that seems to be the standard. Oil changes should be in the 10K range for most autos made after 2012.
    I had a Mini that would go 18K. It never used enough to see it on the stick either during that interval. As soon as the warranty was out, I took over the service intervals and changed at 10K. European intervals are a bit extreme and I didn't like it. Not to mention the recommended oil for the thing can't be found outside a Mini or BMW dealership. Valvoline in the proper weight held it together for a lot of trouble free miles.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  13. Berto

Berto woo woo

Soooooo wrong.

14. Hicksville Kid

Hicksville Kid

The sum total of knowledge on Glock Talk is a trillion times more than a million Ivy League colleges. That said...Go to Toyota Nation Forum for Toyota questions. Toyotanation.com.

15. 308M1A

308M1A

Why would you buy parts? Dont they pay for everything? When you say they give you a new short block, they build on a new block with all new parts? The belt and plugs dont cause oil consumption, presumably defective piston rings. New pistons and rings?

16. 308M1A

308M1A

I traded mine.

17. 308M1A

308M1A

When i bought my f150, was talking w the finance mgr who said despite the recommended 10k oil change, for cars he keeps he does his own changes at 5k. Claims that even with synthetic oils that dont have the traditonal tar or asphalt base that at 10k the oil is filthy and he changes early, and the best preventative for problems.

Originally all my cars were at 5000 miles, then when i got the subaru they said 6000 miles which seemed fine. So ford says 10000, im thinking of splitting the difference and going every 7500.

18. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I can't comment about Subaru, but most short block replacements re-use wear items such as the water pump, timing belt & tensioner, spark plugs, cam rollers & lifters, flywheel/clutch/throw-out bearing, etc. It's a great time to "zero time" the entire engine and drivetrain if you have the extra cash. HH

larry_minn and pag23 like this.
  19. 308M1A

308M1A

Makes sense. For an oil consumption issue they should give him a new short block, crank, pistons, piston rings. The rest of the stuff from the old engine, the top end, valves, valve covers, all the other stuff you mentioned can just be re used.

20. LostinTexas

I'm sure the Finance Manager is an ASE master mechanic. Why else would he be a finance manager? Dirty oil isn't a problem. Oil should be dirty, it carries all the sludge, carbon and impurities to the filter to be strained before returning to the engine. The Additive Package is the protection. Want to know where you stand on that? Blackstone is one of the larger UOA places, Bob's The Oil Guy does them too, I'm sure you can find plenty of them to run a diagnostic.
    There are some long intervals, and the 3K oil change that many of us grew up with are long past except for the ones who won't grow and learn. A turbo will shorten it in a hurry. There is a fine line between wasting money and wasting engine wear. Most people who own Fords will go 7500 as you cam up with, not sure how they came up with it though.