Campus Cops don't cotton to criminal conduct!

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by ronduke, Mar 4, 2010.

1. ronduke

ronduke

Two students arrested after cotton display
    Chancellor gives men temporary MU suspension.
    By Janese Heavin

Published March 3, 2010 at 8:33 a.m.

University of Missouri police yesterday arrested two white male students suspected of dropping cotton balls in front of the Gaines/Oldham Black Culture Center on campus.

Zachary Tucker, 21, and Sean Fitzgerald, 19, were arrested about 7:30 p.m., each on suspicion of one count of tampering in the second degree, a Class D felony enhanced because of the hate crime classification. They each posted $4,500 bond and were released from the Boone County Jail, with a date to return to court set for March 29.

Tucker is listed as a senior psychology major in an MU directory and is from St. Louis. Fitzgerald is a freshman political science major from Kearney and is listed as an NROTC midshipman.

Chancellor Brady Deaton has temporarily suspended the students, saying he “determined it is in the best interest of the university community.” Further action will depend on the outcome of a formal student conduct process.

MU police were called to the black culture center Friday morning after students and staff awoke to find cotton balls strewn across the lawn. The racist act, an overt reminder of slavery, came on one of the last days of Black History Month.

Police said they received an anonymous tip that led to the arrest but did not provide additional details. Capt. Brian Weimer would not confirm whether nearby video surveillance images were used in the arrest, saying he did not want to jeopardize the case.

Nathan Stephens, director of the black culture center, said he was pleased to hear about the arrests.

“I am excited that justice has prevailed,” he said. “I’m saddened for these students, but I’m also hopeful we can now continue to galvanize and make this university into what we want it to be — we being all faculty, all staff and all students.”

Asked what punishment the students should face at MU if responsible for the incident, Stephens suggested expulsion.

“I don’t think they have a place here,” he said. “I just think there has to be no tolerance at all for that kind of thing, regardless of whether it’s a crime against race, religion or sexual orientation. I would feel the same if Muslim students were harassed or members of LGBTQ community or if a woman was sexually assaulted. There’s no room for those types of behave at an institution like this.”

Attempts to reach Tucker and Fitzgerald this morning were unsuccessful.

A provision in the university’s student conduct book allows chancellors to temporarily suspend students “in order to protect the physical safety of students, faculty, staff and visitors.”

In this case, “we’re concerned about the safety of the entire university campus,” MU spokeswoman Mary Jo Banken said.

The cotton-ball display sparked a two-hour town hall forum Monday night that attracted more than 300 people.
    http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2010/mar/03/two-arrested-cotton-ball-incident/

2. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

3. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Drunken joke in poor taste? Absolutely. Overtly racist? Sure, I can see the case for it. But comparing it to the sexual assault of a woman? Nope, I can't even draw a parallel.

The kids were idiots for thinking this would go without retribution, tho...

4. BleedNOrange

BleedNOrange Go Vols

Although obviously a racist issue how can this be labeled a hate crime. Felony hate crime littering? Am I missing something, was someone hurt, attacked or injured?

5. Straight Pipe

Straight Pipe

Some one was viciously offended!

One of the few things that Bush did that I completely disagree with...
    signing hate crime legislation into law.

6. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

It depends. In a lot of cases, hate crime legislation is great. Clearly, this is not one of them.

7. coyotehitman

coyotehitman

Good thing it didn't happen outside a white culture center--oh wait, a white culture center doesn't exhist.....nevermind

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  8. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Not all racial jokes are hate crimes. Some are just insensitive remarks or comments. The victim does not get to dictate the terms of the result. The law is the law.

9. Straight Pipe

Straight Pipe

NO IT IS NOT! There is NOTHING good about persecuting thought!

10. volsbear

Thoughts are perfectly legal. Acting on them sometimes violates the law. This is NO different than any other crime. Every human behavior starts with the thought of committing it. We don't indict thoughts. We indict behavior.

I don't care if you want to steal a car. I don't care if you want to punch your spouse. I don't care if you hate every non-whatever-your-race is. Just don't act on it and we're all kosher.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  11. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

I think all crimes contain hate, this one contained stupidity! :steamed:

12. Straight Pipe

Straight Pipe

That has got to be the most contradictory statement that I've heard to date.

"Thoughts are perfectly legal." If they were, these two would not be facing prison time in a federal prison for just littering.

"Every human behavior starts with the thought of commiting it." I can't begin to recall how many times a crime was commited because the suspect *WASN"T THINKING.

The degrees of culpability are:
    1. Intent: To intentionaly (try and) cause a specific act.
    2. Knowingly: Regaurdless of intent, the actor should have known by his mere actions the result of his act.
    *3. Reclessly: An actor disreguards known risk or risk that the actor should have known existed.
    *4. Negligently: The actor causes an act becuase of a lapse from due care.

The 1st Admendment exist to protect speech which is offensive, not speech which is popular. If that were the case then the 1st Admendment would not need be.

Hate Crime Legislation is a slippery slope. There is no better example of that then this story.

And then there's the whole Equal Protection Under the Law thing.

What part of the United States Constitution do you not understand?

13. volsbear

I hate to break it to you... but no human movement is capable of occuring without a proceeding though. You can believe the "I wasnt' thinking" garbage all you want, but it's impossible. The body can't move without the brain ordering it to do so. Taking the claim "I wasn't thinking" at face value is giving criminals the ability to save face by letting them believe and claim that their behavior was out of their control because they never thought about it. You mentioned "intent." If the whole "I wasn't thinking claim" is legitimate, the element of intent would be unproveable.

What part of biology do YOU not understand? Thoughts ALWAYS precede behavior. Always.

It shouldn't be illegal to hate people. It should be illegal to act on that hate. And when you do, and when it falls within the scope of hate crime laws, you should be punished accordingly.

And yes, as was previously stated, most violent crime is born of hate. So if anything, hate crime legislation is simply redundant. But hate crime laws aren't a slippery slope when prosecutors exercise some friggin' common sense in applying them. And if they don't, it's up to the legislatures in the states or Congress to reign them back in.

14. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

Hate crime laws are stupid. If crimes were properly charged and prosecuted according to existing laws OTHER THAN hate crime laws, it would be sufficient.

I detest the federal system that over rides common sense. I'd love to see ONE state start hanging murderers forthwith, maybe 90 days max from sentence to execution.

And heck YES release anyone that DNA proved innocent, and give 'em a quarter million per year for the time they were falsely imprisoned. And take a VERY hard look at anyone who testified AGAINST someone proved innocent.

But of the known guilty, and there's more than two handsful.. get them down to room temperature where they belong. stat. forthwith. ASAP. yesterday if not sooner.

If my preferred methods were adopted, death row would take about as long as it took waiting on next up for a haircut.

15. volsbear

Mitch... you've finally said something I completely agree with :rofl:

16. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Wow... Vols, I am in complete agreement with Mitch too... except I would add that anyone bearing false witness which convicted someone to death would himself be put to death forthwith. If the convicted was alive, then the convicted would be released, given the money along with all assets of the one bearing false witness, and then get to throw the switch on the one bearing false witness as well.

17. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Not all crimes contain hate. Some crimes are borne out of love. Kleptomaniacs don't steal out of hate, they steal out of the love of the pinch. Arsonists don't burn out of hate. They burn out of the love of seeing fire and some get the equivalent sexual pleasure out of a fire as they do with females. Sick, but true.

18. Straight Pipe

Straight Pipe

(*) I'ld like to know where you get that statistic. Most violent crime, ie: Domestic violence, robbery, do not start out with the intent of becoming violent but end up that way.

(**) There is NO COMMON SENSE in elevating the social status of a particular race above another one, in essence LOWERING the social status of the other one. Which is exactly what Hate Crime Laws do. I'm not willing, in the name of political correctness, to step aside and become a second class citizen just because of some injustice that occurred 150 years ago that, by the way, I didn't have a dambed thing to do with.

19. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

You guys are both acting stupidly. Come over for a beer. We'll chat.

20. Straight Pipe

Straight Pipe

Yeah, volsbear and mitchshrader. You two need to sit down and have a beer.