close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Camping perimeter alarms?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by emt1581, Aug 13, 2004.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I recently heard that there are systems available to "gaurd" a perimeter while camping.

This would be great to have especially while sleeping in case Yogi drops by.

Who makes them and where can I see some info on them? Thanks!

-Emt1581

2. protozo1

protozo1

How about a string of tin cans?

3. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oh I can think of a bunch of low tech ways to go about simulating an alarm. Bells, trip flares, hell if you have enough of it, I suppose you could create a 6'+ wall by wrapping trip wire around the surrounding trees in 6"-12" gaps and put some cans or bells on the wires. Kind of like a fence/alarm system.

But "perimeter alarms" are just something I haven't seen a company manufacture in my years of camping which is why I asked.

Thanks for the reply. :)

-Emt1581

4. vafish

vafish

Small dog would work wonders on detecting bears coming into camp.

5. noway

noway

seriously, try cabela's I remember seeing something that was a break the light-beam alarm IIRC.

Don'y know if I would waste my time in setting one up. No natural predators are going to come into your camp and attack you down here. Once I was at a camp site and woke up the next morning to find that coons attacked our garbage. We had raccoon tracks all around the garbage bag. ;f But other than that you are pretty much safe.

if iwas truely worried about predators and it was a serious threat, start a few camps fires and let them burn most of the night. Store food away from where you sleep at and place somebody on a semi-nightguard and alternate.

That would be the best defense & alarm for a camp ground.

6. FThorn

FThorn TV/Movie Club

What is y'all's method to protect yourself against HUMANs, while camping? (if'n yer asleep)

7. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

I keep my pistol next to me and neck knife on. That's about it. If I'm attacked by a bear or pack of rabid hippies while I sleep then I guess I'll just have to figure something out, but I'm not going to worry about it.

8. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

9. A_Swede_17_1911

A_Swede_17_1911

Look for some surplus, military trip flares and wire. Ive seen in some catalogs, i just dont rember the name on also uses a caluym light stick, but that wouldnt cause as much noise and a noisy airel flare takeing off.

The cans and strings method would work fine though. Any breaks you can mark with glint tape or caluym light sticks.

10. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

See I'd rather have one that is real noisy for when I'm asleep.

Ever see the movie "Congo" with the silverbacks in Africa? There's one gaurding an abandoned camp that a guy falls over. I was looking for something like that.

The other suggestions are definitly possible though. Thanks

-Emt1581

11. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

I would not be concerned about the rabid hippies if you camp in popular campsites. They tend to stay in the bush or claim the nearest hotsprings for themselves. The best way I have found to keep them away is to leave a perimeter of soap and Starbucks cups around camp. The two are like garlic and crosses to vampires. The pistol and neck knife are a good call though.

MF

12. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

I have used a string and cans for bears--works great!!!You could use 2 pound test and some small bells--string around trees about a foot and a half off the ground.In the night man or beast would be fooled by this cheap alarm.

13. RugerFan58

RugerFan58

Coleman used to make a motion detection model that shreeked if someone or an animal came into your tent site. Don't know if they still make them. They sold for about $39 and worked pretty good from what I hear.;c

14. parsec

parsec

Sorry, but I don't see the point. In all my years of camping the only time my group had a problem was when food or other items that have an odor were left near the camp. Properly securing food, toothpaste, deodorant, beer (I'm sure you've all seen this one ), etc. in a bear bag is all you have to do. If you set this up several yards from your camp the bears will avoid you all together. After that, who cares if a bear comes and stares up at the bag?

And yes, I've heard the same stories of bears attacking people because they were desperate for food. That's really rare though. I don't remember the last time I heard of a brown or black bear doing that, or the last time I heard of it happening in the lower 48. But I suppose that can happen, and that's what the pistol and knife are for. Same goes for the hippies.

P.S. All the event where we had critter problems were in Boy Scouts, but as a Scout and as an adult. 11 year old boys have to be told EXACTLY what to put in the bag, and even that doesn't work. The best one was when one of the boys had been eating M&Ms right before going to bed. He woke up with a skunk licking the chocolate off his face. ;a

15. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

I'm sure you've heard about the two beach campers who were shot in their heads while sleeping last week. I bet they would have benefited from a perimeter alarm... ;g

16. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Yeah I did hear about that. I have heard a lot of freekish things latly, but that one takes the cake. What kind of loser "sneaks" up on a sleeping couple and pops them on the beach! What a punk coward. May as well have tied a cow to a fence post and nailed her. Anyways, yes, I'm sure a perimeter alarm would have helped them or at least let them have a little bit of a chance to survive.

-Emt1581

17. muddydog

muddydog

the ultimate sentry...

a very outdoorsy/woodswise 100lb german sheperd..i prefer blanket backs myself..black and red.

package comes complete with groans of enjoyment or distaste, 2 types of barks for distinguishing emminent threat or just having fun. also includes sizable teeth with an incredible olfactory and auditory system.

will work for food...

18. lomfs24

lomfs24

This is what I would like for perimeter defense.

http://www.metalstorm.com/04_military_applications.html

See the area denial system and watch some of the videos.

I just downloaded the video that is a 36 barrel gun fireing 180 rounds at a fire rate in excess of 1 million rounds a minute. That is a must see. Impressive.