Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
You Breed 'Em, YOU Feed 'Em!
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tested out the Thule-Tepui RTT this week. Very happy with it.

Anyone else camp with them?

Plant Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Car

·
Venor ergo sum
Let’s go Brandon!
4,925 Posts
Neat, but I’ll bet cold in bad weather since you are up off the ground.

·
NRA Life Member
68,433 Posts
Looks handy for places with anything from snakes to bears. I have one that fits in a pickup truck bed, but I sold my truck.

Reactions: Will-21

·
NRA Life Member
68,433 Posts
Hmm, I see lots of disadvantages and little to no upside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I see lots of advantages. Snakes and other animals can't get in very easily. If it rains, water isn't going to pool up and be a problem. The floor is always flat and doesn't have rocks and stuff to punch through. Pretty much the same advantages as for my truck bed tent. I like the truck bed tent a little better, because you are surrounded by hard sides and you can leave your shoes on the tailgate to keep your tent clean.

The only drawback I see is if you really don't like climbing up and down.

·
Registered
15,476 Posts
The rooftop is the way to go;

We spent 2 months living out of ours on our overlanding trip this past Spring, and it was great. We used our pillows and blankets from home and all of that stuff stays up there so you're not packing and unpacking it. We slept in conditons as low as 15 degrees Fahrenheit with no issues with our diesel heater.....it was comfortable, warm, the setup and takedown are very fast, and ours, since it's a hard shell, packs down very compactly and goes down the road with no noise and no cover to deal with.

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Cloud Tire Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Mine is similar to this and I believe the advantages far outweigh any disadvantages.

(NOTE: I pee before I climb up at bedtime and pee again when I get up for the day the next morning.)

The primary benefits in getting your tent up off the ground are…

• Your shelter is always with you and ready for a comfortable night’s sleep, which gives you a great deal of freedom
  • Moving your sleeping quarters to the roof means that you have much more space in your vehicle, and no need to unpack to set up a comfortable place to sleep
  • You don’t need a place to pitch your tent—so you can ‘camp’ anywhere—even RV parks that do not allow traditional tent camping. Can be used in a variety of settings (campgrounds, National Forests without official campgrounds, deer leases, roadside rest stop parking areas, Walmart parking lots, in front of my sister's house).
  • Fast and easy setup, even in the dark, equally fast and easy take down in the morning, even when the weather is wet and cold. Set-up time to open/close is less than 1 minute.
  • Your vehicle stays cooler because the roof is shaded by the tent.
  • Your tent also provides ready storage of your bedding and some equipment. Accepts a normal mattress which stays inside the enclosure. All bedding (sheets, blankets & pillows) remain inside the enclosure.
  • AutoHome tents offer great ventilation and good views. Excellent, waterproof, ventilation via windows/doors (which can be closed during cold or wet weather conditions).
  • Fewer worries about insects, snakes, wildlife and other things that go bump in the night.
  • Your tent—being up off the ground, will collect much less sand and dirt to contend with
  • Sleeping on rocks or puddles is a thing of the past. Now you can camp anywhere your vehicle takes you—just park, pop open your tent, and get comfortable
  • Always provides a flat floor,
  • Very lightweight and aerodynamic with minimal impact on gas mileage or vehicle handling.
  • Hard shell roof can can accommodate roof supports for a kayak or canoe.

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Automotive parking light

·
Registered
15,476 Posts
I see lots of advantages. Snakes and other animals can't get in very easily. If it rains, water isn't going to pool up and be a problem. The floor is always flat and doesn't have rocks and stuff to punch through. Pretty much the same advantages as for my truck bed tent. I like the truck bed tent a little better, because you are surrounded by hard sides and you can leave your shoes on the tailgate to keep your tent clean.

The only drawback I see is if you really don't like climbing up and down.

Hmm, I see lots of disadvantages and little to no upside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Having camped about every way imaginable, I can tell you there alot of upsides, and very few drawbacks.

·
You Breed 'Em, YOU Feed 'Em!
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ha-Ha...don't drink too much of that beer before turning in for the night...that ladder could be dangerous when you gotta' pee in the middle of the night.
No worse than stairs or Legos. 😜🤪😂

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Tested out the Thule-Tepui RTT this week. Very happy with it.

Anyone else camp with them?

View attachment 982467 View attachment 982468 View attachment 982469 View attachment 982470
Nice. Those seem increasingly popular.

How does the fly work on your model? Is it already attached or do you have to scramble up there somehow to put it on top?

The hardtop style seems a little more convenient, but your fold-out version definitely provides more space. Tough decision.

·
Native Mainiac
26,648 Posts
I've looked at the rooftop tents but the big disadvantage that I see is that I would have to break camp every time I wanted to use the vehicle. That doesn't seem to be very convenient to me.
Maybe driving slow and watching out for low hanging overpasses and tree branches could get you to the store and back on a beer run??

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Maybe driving slow and watching out for low hanging overpasses and tree branches could get you to the store and back on a beer run??
When we camp, we typically don't just hang out at the campsite all day. Depending on where we go, we may opt to drive to see things in the area. We might set up a base camp in Durango and then drive to Silverton one day, go drive the forestry roads the next. If you are overlanding, then I can see it. Just doesn't fit in with the way we camp.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts