close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Camping/ATV riding areas in Wisconsin or Minnesota?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by vart, Jun 6, 2004.

1. vart

vart

I'd like to take a long weekend and take my son up into some woods for riding and camping. He has a little 80 dirt bike and I have a Kodiak 400 ATV.
    We live about 90 miles south of the Iowa/Minnesota border and a drive of about 5-6 hours would be okay.
    Since I'm from Idaho and am used to camping in public forests with no campgrounds, I was wondering if there are any areas around here where I can pitch a tent next to a decent lake or stream and not worry about some guy's generator keeping me up all night.
    We also need some good riding trails or logging roads to explore. Any suggestions?

2. MrMunster

MrMunster

Vart,

Check here:

http://www.anythingwisconsin.com/atvtrails.htm

The state parks in the southern part of the state fill up fast in the summer. You will have better luck at many of the county run parks.

If you pick a place to go, contact me and I'll see what I can do to help you find a good camp spot.

Also, take a look at the Iowa parks in NE & SE IA. Yellow River and the one in Van Buren county (can't remember name) are nice places to camp, but are probably more "civilized" than what you have in mind.

There is also an ATV area north of the Coralville Reservoir between Solon and Ely. You could camp at the Res or Macbride and drive out to the area.

3. J. Parker

J. Parker