close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Camoflauge Question

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by AirMountainMan, Sep 23, 2004.

1. AirMountainMan

AirMountainMan

I was wanting to try a little coyote hunting before I start a new job on monday. I don't have any camo. and am a bit tight on funds at the moment.

Does anyone have any inexpensive ideas to round up some camo? It does not have to be the hi-tech realtree/mossyoak.

Thanks

Scott

2. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

You can use just about anything to get started. Just about any camo will work. BDU's or whatever's on sale. I actually prefer the shirt and pants NOT to match. A coyote can't see an acorn printed on your shoulder at 50 yards, and wouldn't think you're tree if he could. I pick my camo by what's cheap and has large blocks of high contrasting color.

My setup is pretty cheap and I'm not wanting much more. Other than a 3D jacket that set me back a bit, it's just a mish mash of different stuff. A facemask, gloves and hat are a good idea if you're light skinned. If you're using a mouth call the coyote will be looking right at you and the flash of your hands will tip him off. If you can swing a 3D jacket it's a good investment. If not just hit the army navy store and find something cheap. Even an old flight suit with some spray paint will get the job done.

Cabelas has the good stuff and www.cheaperthandirt.com has some super cheap foreign mil-surp clothes if you don't have a local store.

3. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

Check the local thrift stores for used BDU's.

Since animals are mostly colorblind, you can probably get the same disruption effect with plaid clothing.

4. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

Wal-Mart always has cammo for great prices. Check it out. Sometimes they put it on sale. Also, at the end of the season, they mark things really down cheap. I got a cammo t-shirt for about 9.95 and the long sleeve one was slightly higher. Their cammo pants aren't bad. ;) ;) ;)

5. lomfs24

lomfs24

Depends on how cheap your budget is. There have already been some pretty good ideas for cheap cammo so far. If you were thinking cheaper than that I have seen some pretty effective cammo made from solid colored, earth-tone T-Shirts and a permant marker. Remember, cammo is not to make you look like a tree but to break your outline and shape. Acorns and leaves just sell better in a Cabella's catalog.

6. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

I've used camo burlap cloth that's available at some hunting stores; just drape it over/around you wherever you set-up to call.

Also try fabric/sewing shops. They have lots of camo cloth at some of these places; one or two yards (x 3 to 6 ft wide) goes a long way, used as above.

I've also see some guys use the camo screen/netting. A bit more expensive unless you catch it on sale, but you can see through it; a big plus in some situations.

You can also take any of the above, cut a slot in the center of a large piece, and wear it like a poncho.

7. vafish

vafish

All good ideas.

No reason to spend a ton of money on fancy camo clothes.

You just need to break up your outline and sit still.

Even wearing things like brown or green pants and a brown or green plaid shirt would work pretty well.

As a kid I had an old brown pull over jacket that I cammo painted with a brush and some green and black paint. Did the same with a Blaze Orange jacket and some red paint (check local laws on if this is legal or not).

But at the cost of some of the stuff at Wallmart you could get buy with a camo hooded sweat shirt for $10-$20.

8. AirMountainMan

AirMountainMan

I really appreciate the suggestions. I will check the thrift stores etc. and maybe have some fun with some old light brown pants.

I will let you know how things turn out.

Scott