close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Camo-ization of a shotgun.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Hoingshiba, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Hoingshiba

Hoingshiba willhunt4food

I am planning on hunting spring turkey this year, and I really don't want to go buy another shotgun in camo since I have a couple that already work just fine (870 and a benelli nova).
    The question is, what works for getting it camo? Do any of you have experience with various tapes and cloths? I don't want to refinish it or paint it, hopefully. I have also seen neoprene sleeves to put over the foregrip, stock and barrel...which look kind of cool...anyway, thoughts?

2. noway

noway

Will I wouldn't waste my time & money on just camo-ization unless you are hunting turkey and still an all black shotgun works very good for the most part.

If you must or think you need this, try changing th stock. Easy to do on a 870......impossible on a nova. You can also get the barrels coated but I'm still looking for a mfg that can provide a durable coating that would stand up to years or field carry.

3. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

I agree with Noway, that unless you are "jusT" hunting turkey, therte is not much need for a camo gun.

I tok my 870 20" and used camo paint. I drew some patterns out on cardboard, that "correspond" with the terrain i "hunt the most," and used this as a stencil, for the OD green, tan, and black paint. It came out so well, if i lay the gun down it is going to be really hard to find! ;f It has been through heck, for a gooood number of years, and still looks great.

CanyonMan

4. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

5. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

You say you have an 870, but... is it a "nice looking" blued Wingmaster with a nicely finished stock, or is it just the plain-jane Express model. If it's the latter, just paint it.

The Express models have matte finishes on the metal, and cheap varnish on the cheap hardwood stocks. I spray painted mine, using camo colored paint made by Krylon. It was not my original intention when I bought that gun back in the late 80s, but it just kinda "evolved" into a paint job. I took it dove hunting years ago, and the skeeters were eating us alive. I put some insect repellant on my face & hands, and before I realized it, it "ate" the finish off the wood. It looked like crap, so rather than refinish it, I had some OD green spray paint left over from painting my duck boat. I used the same 870 for duck hunting, so I figured why not paint it to look like my boat? I removed the wood from the gun, sanded it down, and gave it several coats of OD green w/ some flat black splotches & stripes. It looked better than I expected, and so, as the barrel would get surface rust on it every time I took it duck hunting, I painted it too. ;) Every few years, it needs some "touching-up" but it holds up pretty good. Before painting, sand down the wood enough to "roughen" up the surface, and clean the barrel with a cleaner/degreaser (paint thinner will work if that's all you got).