close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

camera needed

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by sheepdog, Jan 16, 2005.

1. sheepdog

sheepdog Texan

Hi, I'm sorry, I know there have been a million "what kind of camera should I buy" threads, but I need a hand and don't know exactly how to search within my parameters. Please assume I know nothing about photography.
    Wife bought a Kodax 4MP (LS743?)that works great...for everything except that I can't focus on the things I need to photograph like tool marks, serial numbers of guns, etc. I guess I need a manual focus? I don't think the "autofocus" feature can be overidden. From what I've seen, 3MP will take adequate resolution. I need input on the least expensive digital way to shoot close-ups. Guess I need something with a detachable flash, too, due to the tricky lighting of close up shots, and SIMPLE is good. I had a Pentax K1000 many moons ago, when dinosaurs roamed the earth, and it worked good.
    Many thanks.

2. Bill D

Bill D Millennium Member

A "macro" feature is what you need. I recently got a Minolta G500 that does a good job at around 2-3". $275. 5 MP, size of a pack of cigs.

3. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

Read the manual and see if there is a macro mode mentioned. The macro button is usually designated by a a picture of a flower.

When using macro, dont use flash, it hurts the picture quality. Use external lighting, and sunlight whenever possible.

4. RugerFan58

RugerFan58

I just bought the 6.1 Kodak about a month ago. Kodak has a web site that'll walk you threw everything. Your wife's owners manual will have the address in the back. Those little cameras will do alot if you take the time to learn all the tricks.;c

5. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    According to specs, your camera has a normal minimum focus distance of 23.622 Inches , and set to macro it's 4.72441 Inches. For Macro shooting (close ups) it's hard to beat the Nikon Coolpix series. For example, the Nikon Coolpix 5200 has a normal focus distance of 11.811 Inches and set to macro it's 1.5748 Inches (this is very representative of the entire Coolpix series).

6. sheepdog

sheepdog Texan

READ the MANUAL!?!?!
    Have you lost your mind?;e What would be next...askng directions when I'm lost?!? ;g
    Okay, guys, thanks...I figured out how to get it on the close-up mode...it kept shifting to auto/regular focus and I didn't realize it...just kept getting blurry photos. When looking at the manual the first time (maybe glancing would be a better word) I misread the 39 inch, it was TWO to 39. When I get the pics off the camera (darn, the manual again) I'll take a look. They look much better on the LCD, and I'm thinking they will be sharper on the monitor. I'm not worried about the lighting at the moment, I have a great place to get PM sunlight.
    Seriously, I'm most appreciative.

7. sheepdog

sheepdog Texan

Hope the photo attach works, never done this:
    Thanks guys, this is what I needed, sorry about the dirt on the mag catch!

8. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

Macro shots sure show you how dirty your guns are ;g

9. sheepdog

sheepdog Texan

I would have cleaned it off if I thought the pic was actually going to take. I got a couple of 8-10 inch shots before it that blurred badly, but I know I'm on the right track now...and I know to clean the heck out of it first, too, now.