close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Camera help: Canon T3 vs T3i

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by cgwahl, Aug 15, 2012.

1. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

Just bought the T3 a few days ago, but saw today the T3i is on sale. Am curious as to if it is worth exchanging and paying the difference of $150?

I know the T3i has a better sensor and an automatic sensor cleaner. But I am unsure if this (and other stuff not listed) is worth the money.

Hoping any camera nerds can help me out.

Thanks.

EDIT: Another one I am thinking about is the Nikon D5100 which would be a $100 difference.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  2. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

3. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

My standard answer to any questions regarding photographic equipment:
    "What is your current kit NOT doing that you need it to do?"

Are you taking photos and then wondering "Damn, I wish I had better resolution while shooting in candlelight". or "Damn, I have to take my camera in for another sensor cleaning!"....then yeah, maybe you're missing something that's worth $$ to you.

By asking this simple question, I have both saved a lot of money on gear that I otherwise would have convinced myself to buy...as well as spent very large amounts on money on gear I never knew I needed. (peace be upon the 70-200 f2.8L IS).

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  4. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

It looks like to me, from a brief review of each camera, that the differences would not be worth that much. The flip out screen is nice, and much higher resolution. My 50D has a self-cleaning sensor, and it still gets dirty, so I'm not sure what that is worth. Looks like image quality is about the same.

The other stuff is not enough for me to worry about.

5. Fanner50

Fanner50 NRA Endowment

I think it is Well worth the difference in money. The sensor cleaner and higher resolution are very desirable features that you will regret not having. I would take the T3 back and get the T3i.

6. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

Current kit is a point and shoot my wife got some years back. This will be our first DSLR. So was looking for something that will be good for a beginner/novice to intermediate once we get acquainted with all the bells and whistles these types of cameras have over P&S.

Felt the T3 would do the trick in the area, but am also OK with spending some extra money if it is worth it since I plan on keeping it for a while.

Thank you. Those were my suspicions as well. One other camera I saw mentioned while looking at that snapsort site was the Nikon D5100. It would be a difference of $100.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-T3-vs-Nikon-D5100

7. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

The Nikon is a much harder question. The price is closer, it has a flip out screen, higher resolution, it is also a little better in low light.

For me, I prefer Canon lenses as the ones that I buy tend to be cheaper than the Nikon equivalent, and I like Canon's prime lenses.

If this camera doesn't have a built in focus motor (which I believe only the lowest line of Nikons don't) then I wouldn't recommend it for mod people.

8. Padre

Padre

Wife bought me the T3 in December for Christmas. Good camera and did the job for me but I wanted the T3i (was out of stock when she bought the T3).
    The PX over here got in a shipment of T3i's and I went ahead and purchased one. Sold my T3 for a little less than what she spent for it.
    I just got back from a trip to Thailand and the articulated screen was VERY handy with some of the shots I needed/wanted to make. Would have been flat on my stomach or shooting in the blind over my head.
    If you can take the T3 back, and get the T3i, I would suggest it. I love the camera..also got the battery extension while in Thailand. It adds a nice weight to the camera and makes taking portrait orientation shots easier.
    Just my $.02 worth....
    :supergrin:

9. MikeG22

MikeG22 CLM

I got a T3 as a reward from work. I did exactly what you are thinking and swapped it for a nikon D5100. That was a great idea. It's way way more powerful than a T3. The problem with the T3 is it's already many many years old. The processor is slow and it's just so behind the times for the price. I looked at a T3i too but the D5100 bested it and I've been very very happy.

10. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

I use a camera at work with the flip-out screen. If you take a lot of pictures at odd angles (down onto a tabletop, straight-on at knee level) it is nice but it is very easy to get disoriented (as to which way to move the camera) when trying to center up the picture. It is a nice feature though.

11. nmk

nmk

12. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

The Canon T3 was released last year.

13. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

I wanted to thank everyone for their input. After getting to the point of information overload looking here and going through many review sites and videos, we decided to stick with the T3 and take the price adjustment.

While the T3i and D5100 are better in terms of sensor and a few other things. We figure, in the end there possibly is no wrong answer as far as what to get since she is a beginner in DSLR's. The T3 is still a decent camera in whatever it might be lacking in the other two models.

And once she becomes better and more aware as far as wants go (and what is lacking in this particular model), maybe in a few years we can think about upgrading by either selling this to help fund a new camera or just keeping the T3 and using it as a backup.

Thanks again.

And so begins the hobby of DSLR photography where we go broke buying lenses...heh.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  14. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Just take that $150 bucks you saved and go get a 50mm f1.8.
    You should be able to get one for around $120.

Just do it...we'll talk about all the reasons why later. :wavey:

15. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

He might be referring to the sensor. If I recall correctly, the T3's sensor is a generation or two older than the T3i's.

Heh, I'll let her know to keep a lookout for that.

16. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

I haven't been keeping up lately, but I don't think that's the case.

The Canon T3 is 12 megapixels.

XS (it's predecessor) is 10MP

T1i is 15MP, t2i 18MP

Canon 40D is 10 megapixels and 50D is 15 megapixels, 60D is 18 megapixels

Canon 7D is 18MP

Canon 5D line is full frame

Canon 1Ds line is full frame

Canon 1D line is 1.3 crop

So it's the only 12MP camera in Canon's crop DSLR line up and it was released last year and the Nikon D5100 was released 2 months after it. The Canon T3i was released on the same day as the T3 last year.

It might not have the same technology as the T3i or the D5100, but it's not any older. Not many many years older to be sure.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  17. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

I have always wanted a high end camera, so tonight I went out and bought a D5100 with 18-55mm lens and a 55-200mm lens. I know very little about photography, so this will be a learning experience for me, but I am looking forward to it.