Came upon a state police vehicle inspection

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Dalton Wayne, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Doing my weekly trip to the land fill I came home the back way on the side streets to avoid construction and got stopped at a seat belt inspection road block, they asked for my DL so I gave the trooper both my DL and CCW he never batted an eye looked at them handed them back and said have a nice day, they did have about six cars pulled over and there were two troopers writing tickets to them for not wearing seat belts, glad I had mine on.
    Regards
    DW

2. Jon_R

Jon_R

I guess it was more then just a seat belt check if they wanted your driver license and you where wearing your seat belt. :cool:

Glad there was no drama with the CWP. I would not expect much from 99% of the officers in FL except maybe in Miami but that is like a whole other country down there. :tongueout:

3. maynardwix

maynardwix Notre Dame Fan!

Wow, never heard of a seatbelt check point, I wonder if they are going to be doing this all over the state. I know they do DUI check points around my area now and then, I've never been through one though. The idea for both check points is a good one, trying to keep people safe and drunks off the road, but I just don't like the idea of them stopping EVERYONE. What are you going to do though, it's not your constitutional right to drive.

4. cqb451

cqb451

yea....a few years back a buddy & I were on our way to an IDPA 3 gun match one Saturday morning. As we rounded a curve the FHP had a roadblock set up.
    The young trooper walked up to the window (I was driving) and could see through the open windows the rifle & shotgun cases and all manner of ammo cans and such.
    As I extended my hand to give him my license & registration he backed up, looked at his buddies and nodded, then smiled and waved us through!

5. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

IDPA had 3-gun matches?

6. GAFinch

GAFinch

Georgia's been doing a seatbelt campaign too. Primary reason is state budget problems.

7. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

I once went through a seatbelt checkpoint and it took a supervisor to understand older vehicles did not come with seatbelts.

8. brboyer

brboyer

Curious as to why.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  9. happy seal

happy seal

I got stopped at a checkpoint 5 months ago. They checked my lights and trailer lights. Didn't ask me for my DL or permit. My G27 stayed in the holster at 3:30 and all was fine!:wavey:

10. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Am I being detained, sir?

11. Mr. Blandings

Mr. Blandings

Florida is in the middle of a two week long "Click-it or ticket" campaign to increase seat belt awareness/compliance.

12. buckhunter3987

buckhunter3987

Fixed it for ya.:wavey:

13. cqb451

cqb451

Should have been more specific for the purists........yes, some clubs every so often offer side matches - shotgun & carbine.
    Go to he IDPA main website & go through the calendars of all clubs in your state. You would be surprised at the offerings.

cheers

14. maynardwix

maynardwix Notre Dame Fan!

:rofl:

15. glocknick

glocknick

at least they didnt ask for your receipt like those pitbulls at walmart.

16. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

It is my belief that this type of income generating checkpoint will replace the original DUI checkpoint. Police reports and research I have seen show that DUI checkpoints are both unsuccessful both in terms of arresting drunks and deterring drunk driving. There is no money to be made with DUI, so checkpoints have resorted to money making propositions such as checking seatbelts, driver license, registration, insurance, child car seats, and safety equipment. California seems to be increasing its use of fireworks checkpoints. Drug sniffing dogs are sometimes used.

I also question the wisdom and success of non-DUI checkpoints. A seatbelt violation in North Carolina will cost you $100. Forgetting your registration could cost you up to $150. The statistics can be misleading too. Police reports of ‘no driver license’ can mean an unlicensed driver, but it could also mean that the driver just forgot his license at home.

The other disturbing trend is internal border guard and customs checkpoints that occur 100 miles inside the US border. A recent GAO report stated that checkpoints at the actual border are much more successful in apprehending illegal foreigners and identifying other illegal activity. The GAO report concluded that internal checkpoints lack the success of actual border-crossing checkpoints.

The good news is that people are starting to speak out. There is a pending court case in Arizona by Terry Bressi, a man who encountered a checkpoint several years ago. Terry has spent over $10,000 of his own money and countless hours in this case. His story is at www.checkpointusa.org. I have also posted research and articles at this site.

Citizens in other parts of the country have protested or warned motorists about checkpoints. This has happened in Port Angeles WA, Pomono CA, Escondido CA, Marble CO, Yuma AZ, Washington DC, and New Hampshire. A recent group in California numbered over 200 people.

You can contact me if you are interested in warning motorists in North Carolina about checkpoints. Email northcarolinaliberty@yahoo.com.

17. Newcop761

Newcop761 CLM

First, this isn't the USSR, we don't have 'border guards'. We have Customs & Border Protection at the Ports of Entry and we have the U.S. Border Patrol. The Border Patrol apprehends aliens that have crossed into the U.S. at some point other than "checkpoints at the actual border".

Hmm...what is the motivation for some people to cross the border at other than a Port of Entry?

So what would be your proposal to apprehend the aliens that have made it past the "actual" border by crossing at other than a checkpoint? Or should it be "Olly Olly Oxen Free"?

So if an example cited in your unnamed GAO report said that Border Patrol Agents made 2,139 apprehensions between the ports of entry for illegal entry and Customs and Border Protection arrested 107 criminals and refused entry to 616 what is more effective?
    You can't make an evaluation because these are two different jobs with different goals / purposes / and tasks.

I'm sorry the idea of DUI, Seat Belt, Vehicle Inspection, or Immigration checkpoints offend you. With the exception of an immigration checkpoint, if you don't want to go through, they will be set up to allow a turn out prior to entering the checkpoint. In my experience the drunk and the high drivers are too drunk and too high to make use of it. On average it took about 30 seconds to determine if it was warranted to speak to the driver further.

Those breaking the law were arrested for breaking the law. The rest were minimally inconvenienced and sent off into the night with a "thank you, drive safe".

Surprisingly some cops like guns and like shooting, some cops don't.

[Internet muscles]Am I being detained?[/internet muscles] Depends on if you produce a driver license. I think I read somewhere the law requires a driver license to be produced "on demand" of a peace officer. I can be pretty demanding sometimes. For the few checkpoints I worked I never had anyone get their panties in a wad over the checkpoint. We did get a lot of "thanks officer" and one guy with tears rolling down his cheek tell me about his teenage daughter getting killed by a drunk driver.

So how many arrests, how many guns, how much drugs, per checkpoint, per officer would make a checkpoint effective? Do we get partial credit for infractions, and bonus points for felonies?

18. PA86

PA86

Talk about being PC...

19. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

FHP is one of the finest organizations in the country.

Salute to Troop G. :patriot:

20. Jon91N/A

Jon91N/A

Fixed it for ya :whistling: