close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Calorie counting software

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by jthuang, Jan 11, 2006.

1. jthuang

jthuang On The Jazz

What calorie counting software do you recommend/use? I mean software that enables you to enter what you ate/drank that day and gives you a breakdown of calories, fat, carbs, etc.

Up until recently, I used Calorie King. It was great up until the time it stopped working. When I wrote to CK customer support, the only "help" they would give me was to say that I should upgrade to their most recent version (which involved paying more $) and no attempt was made to fix the bug that I reported. It's like finding a problem in Windows Me and Microsoft saying "we won't fix it, you'll have to upgrade to Windows XP instead." I'm not using them again. :(

A buddy uses a software package that is on-line but requires a subscription fee of $x per month. I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Any recommendations? This would be for a desktop PC running Windows XP. Thanks!

2. DBradD

DBradD

I wrote my own in Excel. To give you some ideas for a program you can create in a couple of hours, mine has a database of foods (Index Number, Description, Calories, Protein, Carbs, Fat) with room to add plenty more. I just type them in as needed, like when I create my own recipe. Another part of the spreadsheet has space for the daily log. It does a vlookup on the Index Number typed into the log and pulls the food from the database. I can also type the number of servings and the time (very helpful). At the bottom, it totals up the calories, protein, carbs, and fat, and a comparison with the target numbers for that day. I'd be willing to give a copy to you if you wish. I've given it to a couple of people so far and they like it.

If you have something more commercial in mind, then all I can say is that many are bound to be locatable using google.

DBD

3. nognig

nognig

Fitday.com

You can register for free and track your calories and activity levels.

NN

4. jthuang

jthuang On The Jazz

Thanks, I will give fitday a try.

DBD: thank you for your office but I don't have Excel. ;g

5. BizkitShooter

BizkitShooter

I have looked at quite a few packages and this is one of the best. It has a very nice database full of popular foods and it's easy to add new and custom foods. It has several interfaces including one for a Palm Pilot. Best of all, it's very inexpensive.

http://www.crosstrainer.ca/

Tim