Calling all watch experts

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by geronimo509, Feb 7, 2010.

1. geronimo509

geronimo509

I need an everyday watch. It has to be built tough. I am rough on watches. I also want it to keep the time with just wearing it. I would like it to be mostly black (I have a nice white and stainless watch)

I think I've narrowed it down..

Chase Durer special forces 1000xl udt http://www.chase-durer.com/_SP_nav/sel_sf.html

one of the Marathon probably the T-Sar
    http://www.countycomm.com/Watches.htm

I have about 700$ to spend.

What do you all think? Any other options that are remotely close to the ones listed?

I'm pretty impatient so I need help fast. Hopefully, I can actually wait until I'm sure.

2. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Why spend so much $ on an everyday watch that will see so much abuse? Casios are tough and will keep perfect time and can be had for less than $100.

3. GP55445

GP55445

4. MyNewGlock23

MyNewGlock23

Great, tough everyday watch would be a casio g-shock...many different flavors to choose from. Spend $1-300 and buy ammo with the remaining $400...

5. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

of those two, TSAR is the only choice, IMHO. Not much of a fan of the Chase Durer, and the chrono you chose is kinda hard to read and won't stay black for long.

TSAR is both reasonably priced, the Tritium is a major plus, and it's an easy-to read design...

6. geronimo509

geronimo509

I do like the tritium, in fact it's a major selling point for me.

What do you mean "won't stay black for long"

Why don't you like chase durer?

Oh, and for everyone else. I have all the ammo I need, all the guns I need for now, I do not have to spend that much, but I can and want something nice.

7. devildog2067

devildog2067

Chase-Durer recases other peoples' movements (they have sold quartz chronos with guts from Seiko and Citizen/Miyota) and honestly there stuff just isn't that nice.

You can't go wrong with a TSAR.

8. YamahaBlue

YamahaBlue

9. ajax87

ajax87

The Chase Durer has the ETA 251.262 movement, the same movement that is in Tag Heuers and is the Base for Breitling's B53 movement. It's a much better quality movement than the ISA in the TSAR.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  10. 95-Bound

95-Bound

+1 for the G-shock. Use the rest of the money for ammo and Super Bowl beer (not in that particular order)

11. iu7576

iu7576

I’ve owned the GSAR (auto version of the TSAR) and currently own two JSARs, you can’t go wrong with a Marathon.

12. geronimo509

geronimo509

I'm not real fond of the G-shock, they may be good watches but they are just not for me. Thanks.

keep it coming guys.

13. geronimo509

geronimo509

So the auto version is like $250 more dollars? The auto means it winds with movement right?

14. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

I have the JSAR, love Marathon watches, built like tanks.

15. Yo

Yo

Forgive me but I think it is idiotic to spend $700.00 on a watch, because you can get a beautiful watch for $70.00 (Skagen), or a super-durable watch for $150.00 or less.

IMHO if it is an everyday watch it should have an alarm, nightlight, and a timer function. I use those things all the time. I'd look for a simple digital with big numbers, simple-to-set alarm.

With the $600.00 you save, buy a car GPS ($150.00), a nice netbook ($350.00) and a nice gift ($100.00) for your wife/GF.

16. podwich

podwich

While I don't know enough about watches to contribute, I would like to ask one question: Why crap on another guy's thread and imply that he is stupid to want a nicer watch? There are many things in life where you can go cheap or go nicer. Why can't some see that certain people may prefer one over another- and that is perfectly valid? Some like nice guns, some like nice cars, some like nice watches, some like nice houses, some like nice vacations, some like nice jewelry, etc. ad nauseum.

17. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Then don't do it. But that didn't answer the guy's question.

18. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

OHhh, I like that TSAR.

19. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

so where is a good site for the Gshocks

20. Yo

Yo

I said "idiotic" because the reality is you don't really GET a "nicer" watch for $700 vs. $150.00 or $200.00. It won't be any more durable, won't be any more accurate, won't be any more water resistant, won't have any more (useful features), won't fit any better, won't hold its value better, and won't elicit more compliments or female attention. Take ANY objective quality/performance standard you can name (other than contruction from precious metals) and I can match or beat your $700.00 watch with something that costs $200.00 or less.

You're basically just pissing your money away.

I'm all for spending the money if you GET something for the added Cash outlay -- like a Ducati vs. a Kawasaki or a ski week at Chamonix vs. a week on a 2000' hill in Western Mass. But in the case of watches, spend much over $200.00 and you are simply paying for a name with absolutely ZERO additional benefit. If anything, the really expensive watch is going to be a theft target, and will be harder/more expensive to fix if it ever breaks.