close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Calling all WA glockers

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by SIGSAREBETTER, Oct 4, 2002.

1. SIGSAREBETTER

SIGSAREBETTER Teh Pieman

My beloved SIG P226's finish is looking pretty shabby these days and I want to get it refinished. I had thought about sending it off to Robar but don't want to part with my only gun for the six to eight weeks that Robar estimates the gun will be gone for. My question is....is there anywhere in Western Washington that can refinish a gun in a durable, high-quality combat finish similar to Robar??

Thanks much for your time,
    Sieg

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

The issue, as I understand it, is that the Robar is extremely noxious while volatile, and leaves serious toxins behind to be disposed of.

That's why not too many firms can do that kind of refinish work...lots of volume needed to cover their overhead just for disposal.

Also why (EPA) no Glocks are produced in the US...otherwise we'd have .380 Glocks too. No great loss...9mm's sorta borderline itself.

I'd ship it to a good firm with a competitive price and quick turnaround if I was you...

Regards,

FastVFR

PS. Glocksarebetter. This ain't no sigtalk.com! ( ;~> ---no flame---)

3. waldron

waldron

Send it back to Sig. Why use anyone else? BTW sig has a forum at www.sigforum.com Not to say we don't want you here just FYI.

4. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

This is a strong argument for having a second pistol that is identical to your primary. My suggestion is to buy another Sig 226, and refinish your pistol afterwards. If that is absolutely not an option, you might want to consider just having it reblued for now. Many good shops will have hot-tank finishing available. In fact, I know of one over here in Spokane that will do a quick refinish while you wait. It's not as good as a Robar job, but it's cheap and quick and could be a good temporary fix.

5. jeremy54b

jeremy54b Merely Here...

Plastic, I think Brock's will do a re-finish, but I don't know about quality or price!

6. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

7. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

I understand that Brock does great work, but it can be a bit more expensive than many others. Still, I've heard more good reviews of his work than anyone else around. I don't know of anyone else in the area who does better work on 1911's. I guess you get what you pay for.

The shop I was talking about was a little one off of Montgomery (near Argonne). The guy can be a bit of a pain to deal with because he is a bit forgetful sometimes. Still, he is completely honest and really friendly, and does pretty good trigger jobs and general smithing. Plus he will just drop what he's working on and help you out immediately if you bring in something that will be a quick fix.