close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Calling all smokers - positivity please

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Kith, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Kith

Kith

Please - if you don't smoke or have strong anti-smoking sentiments pass this thread up.

If you are a former smoker who can contribute POSITIVELY to this thread, please feel welcome to do so.

DO NOT reference any drug usage or any illegal behavior. This thread has nothing to do with breaking the law or using illegal substances, and that kind of behavior has no place here. ESPECIALLY on a forum such as this we want NOTHING to do with anything like that.

Purpose of this thread:

I'd like to gauge smoking habits for people who do smoke.

Some of my friends smoke, some don't. I've been trying to get together opinions from the people who do.

I've put this 'poll' together and posed these questions to all of the people I know, and now am aiming for the people I interact with online to get a larger scope beyond my city.

Questions are:

1) Brand. - what brand do you smoke? (primarily or only)

1a)If you smoke another brand, or flavor, why?

2)How long have you been a smoker?

2a)Have you been a smoker consistently, or have you stopped and started again?

2b)How much do you smoke?

3)Why did you start smoking?

3a)Do you still think it was a good reason?

3b)Do you have a specific reason why you continue smoking?

3c)Would you start smoking now if you were currently a non-smoker?

4)Do you roll your own cigarettes?

4a)All the time or only occasionally?

4b)What brand of tobacco do you use? Do you use any others?

4c)Do you add any LEGAL substances to your homebrew cigarettes? If so, what are they?

5)Do you smoke anything else, like cigars or something? (LEGAL answers only)

5a)If yes to 5, what?

6) (optional) Do you have a question you would like to see asked in this 'poll', and if so, what is it?

7)Any thoughts on smoking taxes?

My answers:
    1) Marlboro Reds - primary.

1a) Camel unfiltered/lucky strike unfiltered. Sometimes reds aren't strong enough. But not often, 9 times out of 10 i'll smoke Marlboro reds. If I can't afford a pack and have to settle for something cheaper, I just do without.

Once a year, between (roughly) the second week of December until (roughly) the second week of January I smoke menthol. I used to smoke marlboro menthol, but now I smoke marlboro smooth duing that time. It really tastes like peppermint or candy canes.

I go onto a total mint kick, and switch my candy over to only the mint 3 musketeers bars, andies candies, or junior mints, and instead of coffee make sure to drink the mint-flavored cold starbucks frappicino drinks you can get in the glass bottles everywhere.

To me that just represents winter and is part of the 'winter spirit' of embracing the cold.

2) 17 years.

2a) Consistently. I haven't quit and don't expect to.

2b) About a pack and a half a day.

3) My friends at the time did, and my whole family did, so it just seemed like the way to go.

3a) No.

3b) I enjoy it. I like the feel of the smoke in my lungs, and the satisfaction I get for having something to do, a task to keep myself busy.

3c) I might. Fire is a big part of my life, especially with the fire shows I do, and smoking is something of a natural extension of that. As long as I am a fire performer I will smoke I am sure.

4) Sometimes.

4a) Only occasionally. It's more of a hassle then it's worth to me, so I save it for special occasions.

4b) umm, haven't come across any favorites, I just use what I find in tobacco stores.

4c) Sometimes I break apart tea bags and add a small amount of flavored tea to the tobacco. Something like 1/4th of the amount. Different teas can add some awesome flavor. Haven't experimented with anything else. (blackberry tea is my current favorite.)

5) no.

6) ...nothing to add. Maybe someone else can come up with one.

7) Out of control. They need to leave us alone and stop imposing heavier taxes on us.

2. Von Hayes

Von Hayes

1) Brand. - what brand do you smoke? (primarily or only) Parliament Lights, primary, Marlboro Lights/Camel lights are acceptable. I used to smoke Marl boro lights, but I find they taste horrid since the FSC switch.

2)How long have you been a smoker? 16 yrs

2a)Have you been a smoker consistently, or have you stopped and started again? Consistently.

2b)How much do you smoke? PAck a day on avg.

3)Why did you start smoking? Conscious decision made out of boredom while in college.

3a)Do you still think it was a good reason? In a way, yes. Life is too boring and we spend WAYYYY too much time in school.

3b)Do you have a specific reason why you continue smoking? Not really. Well, ok, there's something spiritual about it......taking in the etheral (if that makes any sense). I do get the urge to smoke more when stressed.

3c)Would you start smoking now if you were currently a non-smoker? No.

4)Do you roll your own cigarettes? No/rarely

4a)All the time or only occasionally? see above

4b)What brand of tobacco do you use? Do you use any others? Buglers (only when broke)

4c)Do you add any LEGAL substances to your homebrew cigarettes? If so, what are they? No.

5)Do you smoke anything else, like cigars or something? (LEGAL answers only) No.

5a)If yes to 5, what?

6) (optional) Do you have a question you would like to see asked in this 'poll', and if so, what is it?

7)Any thoughts on smoking taxes? I would like to see them get increased by about 500%. That would help me cut down.

3. Puppy

Puppy

I've smoked a pipe for the last 20 years.

Obviously it's not because it makes me look "cool" but I do enjoy it, anyway I mostly smoke Cavendish blends, the aromatic tobacco blends tend to be less offensive to non-smokers & I often hear even rabidly anti-smoking folks say how much they love the smell of my pipe & I'll also get a lot of stories of their father or grandfather who used to smoke a pipe.

I will also smoke an occasional cigar (usually while fishing or while trap shooting) but I don't care much for cigarettes, the flavor of the tobacco smoke is on the foul end of the spectrum to me so I have to be pretty desperate for a nicotine fix before I'll smoke one.

4. elsolo

elsolo

1.) Pall Mall. They last longer and you don't need to 'pack them' 1/4" shorter to get them to burn right
    2.) Off and On since 16. Cigars only 16-18, then started smoking cigs for three years in college; then stoped. That lasted for 2-3 years, then I started smoking again after working in a shop where I was the only nonsmoker, and stuck with it for two years. Quit for five years, smoked for two years, quit for a year, smoke for two years...
    2b.) 3/4 pk/day average
    3.) If 3 out of 4 people do something repeatedly, chances are the odd man out will eventually join in.
    3a.) It isn't a good reason, there are no good reasons to smoke. It is just a basic component of social psychology.
    3b.) I have something to look forward to, 10-20 times a day.
    3c.) Probably, my history suggests I get bored being either a smoker or a non-smoker after a couple years anyhow.
    4.) Rolled my own in college for a year, "Blond Shag" from the pipe shop. It was cheaper, cut back on compulsive smoking, which generally ruined the pleasure of widely available and consistant varieties of cigarettes. Also smoked a pipe for about a year, I don't know why.
    5.) cigar maybe once overy two years
    6.) Know anybody personally that died from smoking, or a related complication?
    7.) Somebody has to get shaken down for tax money, sin taxes make people feel good about screwing their neighbor unfairly because they think they are "helping people quit" and that's noble.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  5. BEER

BEER bad example

1) i roll my own, usually red cap brand pipe tobacco, gambler 100's size tubes, and a top-o-matic machine.

2) 20 years.
    2a) constantly.
    2b) a pack to a pack and a half a day.

3) back when i was a kid everybody smoked so i grew up around it, and since my grandpa smoked i wanted to be like just like him so started when i was about 14-15.
    3a) no.
    3b) because i honestly enjoy it, and i believe that every man should have at least 1 unhealthy vice.
    3c) to piss off the health nazis.

4) yes, covered in question 1.
    4a) all the time for the last 2 years.
    4b)covered in question 1.
    4c) it's just straight pipe tobacco so it's 100% legal and dosen't need any other LEGAL substance added, or anything else for that matter.

5) i sometimes smoke a meerschaum churchwarden style pipe if i'm out camping so i won't accidentally leave behind any butts.

6. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

7. JASV.17

JASV.17 Prime Example

Or smelt?

8. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

Ex smoker here.

I used to smoke Ashton cigars when i had money then switched to Camels unfiltered and eventually quit(cold turkey and it worked.)

See above.

4 years

I stopped and haen't picked it back up. Although given the opportunity would smoke a fine Cuban cigar.

1-3 cigerettes a day when doing it. Unfiltereds give you more nicoteen so you need less.

I liked how cigars smelled and I was tired of all the anti smoking campaigns(reminds me of antigunners...)
    Sure.
    I don't.
    N/A
    I have before.
    occassionally until I started using Camels.
    Camels Ashtons any good cigar
    4c)Do you add any LEGAL substances to your homebrew cigarettes? If so, what are they?
    No nor any illicit.
    Yes Cigars and cigerillos
    5a)If yes to 5, what?

6) (optional) Do you have a question you would like to see asked in this 'poll', and if so, what is it? More questions about other substances such as canibas as I know a lot of people use it(and not just my friends from the Netherlands.)

7)Any thoughts on smoking taxes? I am against it all it does is cost smokes more money. It does ******* all to get people to use less tobbacco.

9. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Cigars
    Whatever is on sale

10. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Liggett 100's
    Marlboro, because it's my preferred brand but Liggett's are cheap
    21 years
    quit a couple of times for periods of a year or longer
    Just shy of a pack a day
    Stupidity, mostly
    It wasn't a good reason then
    Addiction
    no
    In the past, not anymore
    N/A
    N/A
    N/A
    Yes
    5a)If yes to 5, what?
    Cigars
    Nope
    7)Any thoughts on smoking taxes?
    They are repugnant to liberty. I would be less opposed to them if we also taxed fast/processed food and sloth

11. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

Questions are:

1) Brand. - what brand do you smoke? (primarily or only) Camel straights only, never smoked anything else

2)How long have you been a smoker? 31 years

2a)Have you been a smoker consistently, or have you stopped and started again? stopped once

2b)How much do you smoke? pack/day

3)Why did you start smoking? why wouldn't I start smoking

3a)Do you still think it was a good reason? I don't think it is a good or bad reason

3b)Do you have a specific reason why you continue smoking? I enjoy it

3c)Would you start smoking now if you were currently a non-smoker? no idea

4)Do you roll your own cigarettes? No

5)Do you smoke anything else, like cigars or something? No

6) Do you have a question you would like to see asked in this 'poll', and if so, what is it? I also like the question about cancer related deaths, yes I have lost family members to cancer

7)Any thoughts on smoking taxes? Yeah, they suck. Last year in New York I paid $90 for a carton of Camels. Last week in Ky I paid $37 for a carton. $50 a carton in extra taxes for NY?

12. snair

snair

1) Brand. - what brand do you smoke? (primarily or only)american spirit

2)How long have you been a smoker?25 years

2b)How much do you smoke?6-8 a day

3)Why did you start smoking?not sure

3b)Do you have a specific reason why you continue smoking?enjoy it

3c)Would you start smoking now if you were currently a non-smoker?no

4)Do you roll your own cigarettes?sometimes

4b)What brand of tobacco do you use? Do you use any others?tobacco store choices

5a)If yes to 5, what?

7)Any thoughts on smoking taxes?here in utah they want to raise them. first the *** said it was to prevent kids from smoking, now he is saying its to generate 50million bucks for the state. like most things in utah the first thing out of thier mouth is never the whole truth

13. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

I smoke chicken year round and bream (i.e. pan fish) in the Spring.

14. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

It's hard to remain positive about something so vile and unhealthy. While y'all are all enjoying your nicotine habit think about this.

My aunt died of lung cancer at 58. It took her close to a year after her diagnosis. By the end it had spread throughout her body. The last few weeks she was in the hospital on oxygen and still laboring for every breath. She screamed in agony everytime they moved her because her bones were breaking just from being turned over. My 25 yo cousin, also a smoker, had to watch her mother fall apart and shut down. Everyone was relieved when she finally died.

So, light up! Enjoy your smoke! YOU can beat the odds!

15. 1 old 0311

1 old 0311

Well, its like this: Sixty cents of EVERY pack of cigarettes I buy in this State goes to Underprivileged Children's Health Services. YOU may not care about poor children. You may not even like poor children. I do and I demonstrate that every day by MY MONEY helping them. Have YOU helped underprivileged children today? Didn't think so, so take your elitist, child hating, racist *** out of here and let me finish my smoke. :tongueout::crying::tongueout:

16. Mongosafari

Mongosafari El diablo verde

Stopped smoking Nov 22, 2004 with help from hypnosis. I walked out of the office a non-smoker. A little late, the damage was already done. I had mouth and throat cancer. Nobody held a gun to my head and made me smoke. I chose to stop.

1) Brand. - what brand do you smoke? (primarily or only) Camel 100 & regular.

1a)If you smoke another brand, or flavor, why? Whatever was available.

2)How long have you been a smoker? Smoked for 23 years.

2a)Have you been a smoker consistently, or have you stopped and started again? 24y.

2b)How much do you smoke? 1 pack/day with periods up to 2 packs/day.

3)Why did you start smoking? In the Air Force. Smoke breaks. Started in basic; when the TI called for a smoke break if you didn't smoke you continued with your task; I started smoking. The first day I bummed then I started buying.

3a)Do you still think it was a good reason? At the time yes. Now I know that was F____ Stupid (raking and painting rocks wasn't that bad).

3b)Do you have a specific reason why you continue smoking? I used to like the taste. Habit-addiction.

3c)Would you start smoking now if you were currently a non-smoker? Absolutely not.

4)Do you roll your own cigarettes? I tried it - too much trouble.

4a)All the time or only occasionally? Tried for a couple of weeks.

4b)What brand of tobacco do you use? Do you use any others? 3-4 different blends from a smoke shop.

4c)Do you add any LEGAL substances to your homebrew cigarettes? If so, what are they? No

5)Do you smoke anything else, like cigars or something? (LEGAL answers only) Yes

5a)If yes to 5, what? Cigars, cigarillos and for a little while a pipe.

7)Any thoughts on smoking taxes? Unfair.

In the 80's overseas, my room mate and I used to max out our Ration Cards (4 cartons/month) at the AFEES/BX and buy 4 cartons each of Lucky Strikes with filters, with cupons ON SALE for $2.00 per carton. We tossed the 8 cartons in the freezer in our barracks room. When we had drinking parties we could sell a pack for a buck if someone needed it.

I know 92% of you guys are asking what the hell is a Ration Card...

17. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

:rofl::rofl:

OK, I'll assume cigars are AOK.

1)Various - partial to CAO

1a)Variety

2)12 years

2a)Stop n start.

2b)1-5 cigars/wk depending on mood, craziness and weather.

3)I'm a moron.

3a)I'm still a moron, so yes.

3b)I enjoy it. It tastes good. No one bothers me when I have a cigar.

3c)Possibly. 12 years ago was the height of the Cigar Boom.

4)No

4a)N/A

4b)N/A

4c)N/A

5)Yes

5a)See all responses above.

18. Glock&KimberLady

Glock&KimberLady Morior Invictus Silver Member

1a)If you smoke another brand, or flavor, why? American Spirits, in the misguided thought that they are *better* for me :rofl: I can't smoke Marlboros and such, taste too chemical.

2)How long have you been a smoker? Since I was 17.

2a)Have you been a smoker consistently, or have you stopped and started again? I've stopped and started for as long as 2 years at a stretch.

2b)How much do you smoke? Pack a day, give or take.

3)Why did you start smoking? Hubby told me, back when I was 17, that it would help me lose weight. :upeyes: The hell of it is, I do lose weight when I smoke.

3a)Do you still think it was a good reason? Hells no.

3b)Do you have a specific reason why you continue smoking? Too much hassle to quit, and it's a disassociative activity.

3c)Would you start smoking now if you were currently a non-smoker? Hells NO.

4)Do you roll your own cigarettes? Nope.

5)Do you smoke anything else, like cigars or something? (LEGAL answers only) No, just cigs.

5a)If yes to 5, what?

7)Any thoughts on smoking taxes? I think they're an easy way to plink people with a bad habit, and I'd rather see a tax on stupidity, but then we'd be so in the green that the fed.gov wouldn't know what to do with itself.

19. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Boy, it never fails, does it?

Someone specifically asks for people not to do this and you come in and crap on the thread. WTG, the OP couldn't have been talking about YOU in the post, what YOU have to say is much MORE important than the OP request for YOU not to do it.

Go start your own anti-smoking crusade thread. Man, some people's kids.

20. DeltaNu1142

DeltaNu1142 Glock talker

I smoked about a pack a day for five years or so, and now smoke only "socially" (when drinking).

1) Brand - Marlboro Reds/Lights

1a) If you smoke another brand, or flavor, why? Camels, to mix it up a little.

2) How long have you been a smoker? five years prior to quitting

2a) Have you been a smoker consistently, or have you stopped and started again? Stopped, more or less

2b) How much do you smoke? Was one pack a day, now smoke possibly five to ten cigarettes per month

3) Why did you start smoking? friends did it, it's social, and in many cases, kept the appetite at bay

3a) Do you still think it was a good reason? no, there's no good reason

3b) Do you have a specific reason why you continue smoking? n/a

3c) Would you start smoking now if you were currently a non-smoker? no

4) Do you roll your own cigarettes? I did

4a) All the time or only occasionally? only occasionally

4b) What brand of tobacco do you use? Do you use any others? American Spirit only

4c) Do you add any LEGAL substances to your homebrew cigarettes? If so, what are they? n/a

5) Do you smoke anything else, like cigars or something? (LEGAL answers only) no

5a) If yes to 5, what? n/a

6) (optional) Do you have a question you would like to see asked in this 'poll', and if so, what is it? It's an awkward poll to answer, several questions overlap a bit

7) Any thoughts on smoking taxes? Taxes suck. However, if taxes on cigarettes keep my health insurance premiums down, I'm for them.