Calling all iTunes experts

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Zell, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

I need some information and hoping you can help. Here's the skinny:

- Finally got a iPhone GS from my employer to use for work and personal purposes.

- Already own an iPod Touch and have a ton of music on it and on my home computer with iTunes.

- Right now I am syncing the new iPhone exclusively with my work computer which does have a lot of Outlook info. that I need to stay on the iPhone (calendar, contacts) and several iTunes' apps on it but no music.

- I want to get all my music from iTunes on my home computer onto my iPhone but obviously don't want to lose the data already on the iPhone as well as I don't want to lose any of the data on iTunes on my work computer when I sync with it again.

- I know there are issues surrounding syncing an iPhone on two different computers. Question is, how can I get the music from my home computer onto my iPhone without screwing up the Outlook data on the work computer and apps the next time I sync with the work computer? Note: Once I get my music on my iPhone from the home computer I have no plans to sync on that computer again. I will be only syncing with my work computer from then.

How can do this?

Thank you.

2. bluenoise

bluenoise

Install iTunes on your work computer and copy your music library there, too.

3. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

Any other thoughts?

4. wax32

wax32 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

IF you sync at home, then at work and you don't have your music on your work computer you will lose your music, period. The only thing you might try, I'm not sure here... manually add your music to your iphone at home, no syncing! (you'll lose your outlook type stuff probably if you do) , and then sync at work, being careful to uncheck the sync music choices... I don't think this will work, but won't hurt to try.

This is why I never sync and always manage my music manually on my ipods.

5. wax32

wax32 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

This

... is your best bet.

6. Kosher Larry

Kosher Larry MWAG

Nope. That's your solution. I know, huge PITA.

7. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

As mentioned in my initial post, iTunes is already on my work computer as well as my home computer. I'm just trying to get my music from home onto my iPhone then onto iTunes on my work computer.

Any other thoughts?

8. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

If I already have iTunes on my work computer (no music on it at all), how do I copy my music - that's on my home iTunes - to my work iTunes computer so I can get it on my iPhone?

9. JBG30

JBG30

When I bought a new computer the easiest and quickest way I found to get my music on the new computers empty itunes was this... http://www.bootstrapdevelopment.com/ipod-to-itunes-transfer
    If you sync a loaded ipod with an empty itunes you will lose everthing on the ipod. This program allows you to upload from your ipod and will do your entire device automatically and keep file names organized. The price was worth it to me. I believe c-net has a trial download that will allow you to try before you buy.