close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Calling all cat owners (and it's urgent)

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by lastevolution, Feb 18, 2006.

1. lastevolution

lastevolution "Senior" Member

Well, I have two cats in my backyard...they're not really strays, as my brothers say that they are from the neighbors right behind us. And they have name tags. Right now they're under the patio table huddling together.

Here's my delima: it's about to hit 39F here in Texas...are the cats going to be allright? They're not going to freeze to death, are they? And then tomorrow they're predicting the high to be 39F...

Someone tell me that they'll be allright...I have a soft spot for these creatures...

2. Grimsi

Grimsi Restored member

39F is quite cold even to a fur lined critter like a cat, that said, they should survive.

You could be a sweety and put out some warm blankets in nest fashion
    near where they have holed up.

And bless you for caring about them.

3. Mighty HD

Mighty HD Got Wax?

get a trap

trap them

take them to the pound

your worries are done.

4. Kanos

Kanos Why yes.

Youd take the time to take the cats to the pound rather than take them to the owners right behind them??? Seems like a waste of time, take them back to the owners...or call them up..and give them a warning about keeping the cats off your property and have them come get them. Then your worries are over.

5. Mighty HD

Mighty HD Got Wax?

If it is a constant problem and you don't like cats pissing all around your house trap them and the neighbor will have to pay to get them back.

Or if you're nice, don't mind the piss, kindly return the cats. Watch the problem continue to happen.

I'm talking from experience....Sadly.

If the animal is out in the cold. Which it is quite cold from what you posted, thats not right for the cat, dog or whatever. Trap them, and take them to the pound. They'll have a warm place, food, water, etc. Notify them that its your neighbors cat and they will take the proper steps.

6. geminicricket

geminicricket NRA Life member

They will be OK down there.

Believe me, animals can handle your temps. They can handle the bit lower temps here too. It's the tropical bugs and insects which thought January meant they could move on in which are going to die
    in the freeze here.

I know felix domesticus is not well adapted to extreme cold, but you don't have enough cold to down there to do them in.

7. lastevolution

lastevolution "Senior" Member

Man, you guy are too mean...

They are just fine for the moment. I read their name tags and they are indeed from the neighbors right behind us. I don't mind them, in fact I kind of like them. Makes me want to get a cat of my own...So basically, I don't mind them. I just wanted to make sure they won't freeze to death in 30 degree temperatures.

I'm surprised how fast they took me in. I went out last night to kind of make a nest for them and they would not stop following me. One of them would climb onto the patio chairs and try to jump on my leg.

8. Braden

Braden

39 isn't THAT cold...and certainly not cold enough for them to freeze to death. In fact, I'm not sure it's actually possible to freeze to death in Texas...especially in College Station. It's 25 degrees at my house right now and both of my dogs are outside enjoying themselves (although I'll probably put the lab in the garage tonight).

9. tony4311

tony4311

I saw a cat out last night.....wind chill hit -35 last night.

They'll be fine. :)

10. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR Silver Member

Some cats are hardier than others in cold weather...over all they should be fine...particularly if they are long hairs. But if they have been in-door cats they aren't going to like it. Have the neighbors left them out before?

11. JadedOne

JadedOne

If you have a cardboard box lying around (or if you go to BJ's, where they give you free boxes) you could put that out on its side with some blankets in it. This way, you block the wind for them, and aside from cat hair, you keep your blankets clean.

12. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

There are a couple of stays that live around a dumpster where I work. I've seem them for the past few years, and we've had some nights where the temp gets down to -10 or so, and they are all fine.

13. 390ish

390ish

We don't let cats in the house unless it is 30 degrees or less on the thermometer.