close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Called off work today

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Davegrave, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

Man, I love not being at work but I hate calling off.

Before I got married/became a dad, I was on a 9 year streak without and unplanned/arranged for absence. I was closing in on 10.

But now I have 2 other people whos problems become mine.
    Today my baby is sick. Bad ear infection/cough/red puffy eyes. He went to the dr yesterday. Got drops for eyes and ears and antibiotics. I get paid for days off, my wife doesn't so it was an easy choice for it to be me...but I still hate it.

At least I get to stick my nose in other peoples fun threads today. :supergrin:

2. Palouse

Palouse The Resistance Lifetime Member

I hate taking those days, too, but when a kid is down sick, you don't have much of a choice.

3. trifecta

trifecta

Sorry your kiddo is sick. Good job on not calling in for that long!:wavey:

4. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

The good part is I get paid and my job is pretty cool about call offs.
    Way way cooler than I used to be when i was the boss. I took it personaly. :whistling:

But I used to get some BS call offs. 1 guy said he didn't have a ride. I told him I'd come get him. He said he couldn't get home. I told him I'd stay late to take him home.
    He said "sorry chef, I can't come in CLICK" :rofl:

I was 22, first week as a boss and got a call of from a lady in her late 30's that said she couldn't come in cuz she was sore from her abortion. I couldnt believe it. Just as matter-of-fact as could be. :faint:

5. freespirit34

freespirit34 BMFTSY

Welcome to the club. You are no longer you, you are Kids dad.

6. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I hope your child get well soon. There have been studies though that people who take days off and relax are actually more productive as workers. So just consider this a worker health break and try to enjoy the day a bit. :cool:

7. CarRamRod

CarRamRod Liter of Cola

This reminds me of one time I called in because my son was sick and couldn't go to preschool. My boss asked why my wife wasn't staying home with our son. When I had to call in after that I would just tell him I wasn't going to be at work today... click.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  8. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

Ha! Great user name.:supergrin:

9. Tx-G30

Tx-G30

I hope your baby gets well. I appreciate that you're a worker with a conscious / morals / values and try not to abuse sick leave.

I use to work for the wi gov and was use to seeing people calling in sick all the time because there was a football game on tv, or hunting / fishing season just started, they were hung over from last night, etc. It was so bad that getting forced to work your shift and the next shift was a norm. A few times we've had the entire next shift call in sick, which meant that most of the previous shift got stuck there for another 8 hours. We actually had people who worked there for over 10 years and only managed to have 3 hours of sick leave saved up lol.

10. 9jeeps

9jeeps

One of the best jobs I ever had was a place where we didn't have but Vacation days and Personal days.

It was a High Stress job and sometimes it was good just to let the boss know I needed a personal day. No problema.... He needed them too, now and then.

The bonus was one wasn't forced into a lie or trying to make up an excuse. Several of the fellas would take a personal or Vacation day on the first day of Hunting Season.

Worked out ok there too. Personal days,,,, I liked em.:supergrin:

11. flatag

flatag Must have tacos

I had a guy call in one time and said his dog stepped on his balls (the callers not the dogs) and he was so swollen he couldn't get his pants on.:wow:

12. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

This is how I treated my employees when I was in management. I only wanted to know if they were or were not going to be in, I didn't care about the why. Frankly, I've never really liked being lied to anyway.

My current boss is exactly the same way. I send him an E-mail and tell him I won't be in today and he either can or can not reach me at home.

Works out nicely when I don't have to justify my use of paid time off to someone who really has no business knowing why I'm going to be using it.

If we're all adults who do our jobs and we get paid time off as a benefit it really shouldn't be an issue why you're using it..... even if you're hung-over or just want to spend a day in bed fooling around with your better half.

13. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

Yep. That's pretty much how it works here. And I like it when I need it.

But I wish I could email. My 1 boss just always seems so irritated. He never says anything bad. But it's always like "Whatever, click" or "if you got to, click"
    We all laugh about it.

14. okie

okie GT Mayor

Dave I'm sorry your baby is sick, I hope he heals up quickly, my friend:angel:

15. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

That's one thing I like about my job. Our attendance policy is laid out in black and white and if you have to call in, you dial a number and leave a voice mail. All you have to do is give your name, ID number, start time and when what day you're coming back. I don't have to speak to anyone and get the 3rd degree about it.

16. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

9 years without playing hooky?! I'm not even at 9 days after having "car trouble" during the playoffs Saturday.

17. Buki192327

Buki192327

Hope the little on get well soon.

Of course, you could have taken the little one to work with you, and left someone there do the care taking. :faint:

18. Hound_dogs_01

Hound_dogs_01

THAT's hilarious. I actually laughed out loud at this one.

Alex

19. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

Yeah, when I'm gonna take time off, my employer doesn't get an explanation. They get the courtesy of me calling to let them know that I won't be there, or the further courtesy of me telling them ahead of time that I won't be in on a given day.

I hover around the max allowable CTO hours in my bank. My thinking is that, as long as I've still got hours in that bank and all my deadlines are caught up, I can come and go as necessary. My boss agrees.

20. DWavs

DWavs Moderator Moderator

I am in the same boat with a 2 1/2 year old. Luckily, I have built up 200 sick days from the past 17 years of working.