Call of Duty: Finest Hour on Xbox, and KOTOR II

Discussion in 'The Players Club' started by MrMurphy, Dec 27, 2004.

1. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Anyone have it yet? Either one?

2. DHansen

DHansen

I have KOTOR II - it plays a lot like the original. Which is fine with me, I didn't think there was anything wrong with KOTOR. There are a couple new features, you start off as a Jedi.. and a new storyline. Definitely worth a buy.

3. eljefe6

eljefe6

I beat Kotor 2 this weekend. It had a good ending. Towards the end, it was too easy. It was just enemy after enemy. Overall it was a good game, just not as good as KOTOR 1.

There are the same number if not more bugs than the first one had. I didn't run into any that completely ended the game (like KOTOR 1).

4. MrMurphy

I rented COD:FH today, haven't played it yet. I won't buy KOTOR II for a while till it gets cheaper, since it's basically "Kotor with more" and I passed KOTOR several times.

Mechassault 2 Lone Wolf looks very interesting though.

5. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

Finest Hour is a pretty good game.
    Awesome graphics, the lighting and incoming fire are especially good. And the sound of incoming German MG-34's is pretty intense.
    There are a few problems though. It's too easy to run and gun with little penalty, unlike the Rogue Spear games where 1 shot can take you out easily, FH allows you to take multiple hits and medic yourself. Another thing is the saves are pretty crappy. It sucks to play for 30 minutes and get taken out, then have to replay the previous 30 minutes just to get back to where you died.
    Other than those problems, I've been having a good time with it.

6. MrMurphy

I'm on the factory defense and getting wasted by guys I can't even see......... any tips? Do you have to stick next to the other guy up on the upper level with you?

7. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

Are you the sniper at the tank factory?
    If that is the stage you are talking about, just stay kneeling or prone and only expose part of yourself out the windows.
    Take out the machinegunners and panzerfausts that show up, they are priority targets.
    I switch from window to window depending on which side the attack is coming from.
    The next stage is *really* tough.

8. MrMurphy

I stay kneeling and hit everyone I can see, but the fricking panzerfausters get close before I can see them, then I "CAN'T" hit them without getting shot.

Once they're in the factory I'm dead, though once I held them off for a bit.

9. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

Make the panzerfausts and machinegunners the priority.
    Only shoot the infantry if there are no panzerfausts in the vicinity. The machinegunner behind the left side wrecked car is a big priority as well especially in the last 2 minutes of the battle.

10. Jtemple

Jtemple Geek

Here's what IGN had to say about Call of Duty for XBox:

Presentation: 7.0
    Some decent cut-scenes and a strong concept, but there's an overall failure of execution. There's no power or humanity here, just another war game.

Graphics: 7.5
    Some areas, particularly the brief look at Africa, are incredible, but most are very ordinary. Some really weak effects, particularly some of the explosions.

Sound: 7.5
    Nice use of directional sound, but there's not enough voicing from the supporting cast. The score, though original, seems out of place in certain scenes.

Gameplay: 7.0
    Pretty much your standard wartime FPS. A good shooter, but it seems stuck between realism and over-the-top antics. More like a Rambo movie than a World War II game in parts. Average level design.

Lasting Appeal: 7.0
    It's a short campaign, that good FPS players can beat in 7-8 hours. The multiplayer is decent, but nothing we haven't seen before.

OVERALL: 7.3
    (out of 10 / not an average)

Reader Average: 8.0

11. Jtemple

Jtemple Geek

Here's what IGN had to say about Knights of the Old Republic 2 for XBox:

Presentation: 8.5
    The load times are pretty frequent and pretty long, but no other franchise does Star Wars as well as KOTOR.

Graphics: 8.5
    The Force powers look prettier and the snow areas are quite nice, but it's essentially last year's game. The framerate issues don't hurt the turn-based gameplay, but they do hurt the eyes.

Sound: 9.5
    An hour of original music is mixed in with some pieces from the first KOTOR to create one of the best Star Wars scores to date. Most of the voice acting is top-notch.

Gameplay: 9.5
    The combat engine remains brilliant and the morality choices are everywhere. Good story, smart dialogue options, and better interactions with NPCs make for an improvement over the original.

Lasting Appeal: 10
    It's 40 hours long and you get different results being Light or Dark, male or female. Plenty of replay value and lots of incentive to go through a second time just to see what you might have missed.

OVERALL: 9.3
    (out of 10 / not an average) See All Award Recipients

Reader Average: 9.5