Call and Email from the ATF

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Kalmah, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Kalmah

Kalmah Supreme Member

I've had a C&R license for over 10 years, and this is the first time this has happened to me.

Got a phone call this morning from an unknown number, so I didn't answer. A message was left on voicemail, it was a robo voice saying...

"This is an important message from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. A Federal firearms licensee in Pueblo County, Colorado has experienced a burglary that resulted in the theft of firearms. Please ensure the security of both your inventory and property and report all suspicious persons or activity to your local police department. Additionally, notify ATF at 888-930-9275 if you find any of your firearms missing, lost or stolen."

And I also received an email that said exactly the same thing.

That's not my county, so I thought maybe it was sent out statewide.

Is this something new the ATF is doing? Has anyone else received similar calls and emails?

catman71 likes this.
  2. spork

spork Caffeinator

There was another thread about this recently, but the gist of it was several members got the same or similar message since the riots and looting started.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    catman71 likes this.

3. evlbruce

evlbruce

Would be a heck of a good scam:

"Plz describe your firearms and security precautions, store w/ stacks of pre-paid Amazon Giftcards." - Real AFT, For Real

catman71 likes this.
  4. Kalmah

Kalmah Supreme Member

When I first started listening to the voicemail, I thought it was a scam. Because it's same robo voice from the "This is the IRS and we're going to arrest you unless you send money" scam.

spork, catman71 and evlbruce like this.
  5. CaptJim

CaptJim Lifetime Member

Yes, I have received warnings such as this from time to time. Recently I received a phone call from an agent assigned to my area. I really can't say why I answered since I usually let strange numbers go. The caller identified herself and stated this was a courtesy call just to touch base and make sure all the information they had about me and my business was correct. She was very nice and gave me all her contact info stating that she was always available to answer questions or provide any needed assistance. She sent me an email with general and specific info from the agency including contact info for various offices and general operational guidelines.
    I don't remember this type of contact before. The agent said that they wanted to have more of a presence with dealers in order to be more available. She also stated that the Corona Virus has limited their personal contacts, so that was another reason for the calls. She was also announcing a new form 4473 which will be coming out in the Fall I think.

All in all it sounded like they were trying to be proactive.

CJ

6. bac1023

bac1023

Interesting for sure

7. rock_castle

rock_castle Enjoys liberal temper tantrums & hissy fits

I lived in Pueblo County for many years and I still check the news there every day. It's been a while since there has been any report of a gun store burglary.

8. H&K .45 AUTO

H&K .45 AUTO Gunslinger

There have been a ton of gun shops and pawn shops looted during these riots nationwide resulting in the theft of more than 1,000 firearms. I am certain that the BATFE is making it a point to do what they can to recover them, and it only seems reasonable that they would take a proactive approach to warn license holders to take precautions.

9. ACE31

ACE31

Right click on the email and check the source path to be sure. Or reach out to your local ATF office if you are that concerned.

Intolerant likes this.
  10. Intolerant

Intolerant

Its a legit number. Its the hotline for stolen guns.

Being that were are so politically correct anymore, i did post it so that you can see it for yourselves.
    https://www.atf.gov/contact/hotlines

11. Kalmah

Kalmah Supreme Member

I'm not concerned. I was just curious if it's something new they started doing with FFLs, and if anyone else had experienced something similar.