Call 911 About A Fire And Pay An Equity Firm $15,000?

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Silas.soule, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Silas.soule

Silas.soule

I see money is flowing to private equity firms because they are not as well regulated as are banks. With their massive amounts of cash, private equity firms are taking over essential services. In some parts of the USA, EMS and Fire are no longer public enterprises!

Couple that with the effort to privatize public K-12 education, and this country is going to hell in a hand basket. Wall Street: it almost collapsed the economy in 2008, and is now guarding your grandma and your house! Here's the news article in today's "NYT":

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/26/b...ou-dial-911-and-wall-street-answers.html?_r=0

2. walt cowan

walt cowan

3. Pwhfirefighter

Pwhfirefighter

Around here, EMS is indeed a private company that is contracted to keep a certain number of ambulances in the county. IF I understand correctly, it is much cheaper to have it contracted out. I can see where they could get into financial problems because of abuse of the system and non-payment.

As far as fire protection goes, other than municipalities, fire departments are volunteer (there are some smaller municipalities that are volunteer only or paid/paid on call). Fire departments can not bill for service (I believe state law prohibits "private" fire departments). Volunteer fire departments may take a little longer to respond because volunteers around here usually respond from home/work/wherever. And volunteer departments like ours operate on scant funding from the county, and donations/fund raisers for the most part.

Around here, most couldn't care less and do not support the volunteer fire departments, but will call us in a heart beat and then b***h about how long it took for us to get there. Never mind we are volunteer and have lives/families/jobs that we are responsible for. It costs us own time and money but we do it anyway because we absolutely love doing it. :ffighter:

Silas.soule likes this.
  4. Silas.soule

Silas.soule

This issue reminds me of how some cities find ways to screw police unions.
    Then, there is the private prison industry.
    I think it's all a case of people being overly principaled. About free enterprise. Some things were never meant to be in private hands.