close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CalJack Gets His Wish!!!

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by DBradD, Dec 7, 2006.

1. DBradD

DBradD

I bet you were starting to wonder when something fun would come up!

Friday 061208
    Hang squat clean 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps

Post loads to comments.

2. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

WOW, that should have been more fun than it was. For some reason I didn't really enjoy that.

First time I've ever done any heavy hang cleans. I never really max cleaned of any type. When I was learning the OLs my jerk was way behind my clean so I never trained my cleans hard. I pretty much just cleaned from the floor just so I could jerk the weight.

Beat the heck out of yesterday's WOD though!

3. DBradD

DBradD

Yeah, yesterday was pretty miserable. I didn't eat enough and barely survived the pack version. I was down to pullup singles very quickly.

My form's not good enough yet to try any heavy cleans, so I just did a bunch of singles with 143 to work on it. All of my cleans in the past have been power cleans and I'm trying to learn the right way now. This is also the first time I've had bumper plates so I'm getting used to dropping the weights--feels dirty!

4. California Jack

Brad,

Really, at your BW a HC of 143 isn't bad,

As far as the WoD the day before, I did my first Pack version too, sort of. I can't do nearly that many pullups, so I had to do a lot of jumping pullups. To help make up for this I used 5 extra ponds on the thrusters.

Today should be enjoyable actually. Are you substituting WODs?

5. DBradD

DBradD

FWIW, I did regular cleans. I'm having enough trouble with form without doing some from the hang and confusing myself. We always did hang cleans in football. Is there a reason to do hang cleans vs regular cleans? I'm considering always subbing regular cleans. BTW, that was 143 lb, not kg, LOL!

I don't think there's any harm or foul in doing jumping pullups or whatever it takes. I'd just note it so I'd know later when I was improving. I think if it hurt and you were gassed, then it was good.

I might stick with the WoD as prescribed today. I usually do that or one of the scaled ones. Lately, there have been a couple that I didn't want to do for valid reasons, so I subbed something else.

I do have one issue. The workout from two nights ago wasn't much of a MetCon workout at all for me. Somewhere near the end of the first round, I was reduced to pullup singles with 5-10 seconds between them. At that point, I got a really hard biceps and lats workout, but wasn't even breathing hard or sweating--just kinda bored and cranking through them one at a time.

For today, I'm actually thinking about redefining the rounds as:

400m run
    3 snatches
    6 pullups
    3 snatches
    6 pullups
    3 snatches
    6 pullups
    3 snatches
    3 pullups

While this wouldn't be the official "WoD," I think it would end up being a much better MetCon workout because I could hang in there so much longer before resorting to pullup singles. Not sure if I'll do this, but I'm thinking about it.

6. California Jack

The one time I got OL coachimg the coach told me just to do cleans. He said hang cleans can lead to bad habits because you most likely aren't starting to explode frm the same point. I was thinking about doing exactly what you sais and subbing full cleans. I guess the only advantage to HC is that you don't need to worry about hitting the right positions with the first pull.

I know the 143 was pounds, I really don't think that is bad.

As far as the jumping pullups go. I think MetCon is one reason for me to do them. By the end I'll probably have to break the into three sets of 7 and do jumping for the the last 6 or 7 reps.

Good luck.

7. California Jack

Brad,

I folowed your suggestion sort of. I broke my pullups into 3 sets, so I:

Pullups 7 reps
    Snatch 6 reps
    Pullups 7 Reps
    snatch 6 reps
    Pullups 7 Reps

I feel this kept my jumping pullups to a minimum while maintaining heavy breathing and elevated heart rate.

Next time we do high rep snatches I am going to listen to my own advice and use dbs.

My time was an embarassing 40:38. It is the slowest time I've seen posted on xfit. :embarassed:

8. DBradD

DBradD

40:38--looking back to my first couple of weeks, I'd be happy with finishing at all. That's a huge volume of work. You'll probably do 30 minutes next time. That's the way it worked for me every time I've repeated something.

I did my WoD as I typed before. Based on the last few similar MetCon workouts, I'd say that this one was much harder. I might start breaking up similar workouts like this until I get good at pullups. I was sweating bullets and huffing and puffing the whole time. I was very tired a half hour later, which hasn't happened in a while.

Gotta do something about pullups. I might start GTG now that I'm not getting sore from the WoD. Might start kipping too.

The 16th will mark 2 months for me. You are keeping an accurate log, right? I've found that to be huge so far.