California to build bridge FOR USE BY WILDLIFE over highway

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by cowboy1964, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

How many portable crappers could be placed and serviced in LA and SF for the price of a critter bridge? Priorities are gonna change once the Typhus and Hepatitis outbreaks hit the urban areas.

tuica likes this.
  2. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

If I were rich I would donate all the money for this project.

The only condition that it be named the President Donald J. Trump Memorial Wildlife Bridge.

Maybe Trump should do it and put TRUMP in big gold letters across it so all the commuters could pass under his name every day. :rofl:

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

DAKA and tuica like this.

3. tuica

tuica

Think this is a fine use of VDOT, and other state’s funds. Probably a small percentage of a huge budget to assist animals and reduce vehicle accidents. Not that many animals drive vehicles. Sure they could fund all of these with just a small bit of what California spends on Illegals.

Passing along a friend’s bumper sticker idea...”Feed The Homeless - To The Hungry.”

4. picrthis

picrthis

will
    Will it be a Toll Bridge??

5. DAKA

DAKA

SOILENT GREEN IS PEOPLE

6. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

There's one on I90 here in WA. near Snoqualmie pass. I'd like to know if it actually cuts down on damage to vehicles. Also, somewhere in Colorado or Utah all along the highway for many miles there's Deer proof fencing there's so many Deer in the are. I'm quite sure that fencing isn't cheap.

7. GlockerBill

GlockerBill

8. GlockerBill

GlockerBill

Put me down as being in favor. Like anyone cares what I think since I fled the state twenty years ago. They are in the parks in Canada and they work. Devil will be in the details on whether is is designed correctly down here. Unintended consequences galore... homeless camps, Druggies, etc.

9. CAcop

CAcop

That and a lot of this state is near sea level so there is water not far from the surface. Even places on or near high ground can be wet during "dry" parts of the year to snow melt and storm run off underground.

The hill behind my house stays green most of the summer from all the water trapped by the long retaining wall behind my place. It acts like a dam.

Better to build up than down.

10. rock_castle

rock_castle Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Evidently! I have seen a few tunnels under the road here but I’ve never seen a wildlife bridge over a road.

11. Nemesis.

Nemesis.

On the other hand....................

[Begin quote]
    You know those deer signs you see from time to time? After three accidents involving deer, one North Dakota woman wants them moved.

Under the impression the signs are intended to tell deer where it’s safe to cross, she embarked on a (failed) mission to get the signs moved to lower-traffic areas. She wrote letters, called television stations, but no one seemed to want to hear what she had to say. Finally, she turned to Y94 Playhouse Radio in Fargo. They listened (and laughed) and then posted her call on YouTube.

The caller, named Donna, admitted she struck three deer on three separate occasions “shortly after I saw a deer crossing sign on the highway.”

The caller questioned why Minnesota and North Dakota departments of transportation would allow deer crossings to be on busy roads.

“Why are we encouraging deer to cross at the interstate? I don’t get it. That’s a high- traffic area,” she said.
    [End quote]

https://fox4kc.com/2012/10/18/woman...ng-signs-calls-radio-sation-wants-them-moved/

Patchman likes this.
  12. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

THIS...is the result of a failed public education system...

There are FAR too many of these idiots nowadays

13. greg vanstralen

greg vanstralen

Recently retiring after 20 years as a Wildlife Biologist with US Fish and Wildlife, mostly in WA State, I have reviewed and assisted in the design of several of these over the years. Likely the best and most efficient in Washington state are the ones over and under I-90 east of Snoqualmie Pass.

Washington does an analysis of what species are killed and where the strikes occur. Species are NOT limited to coyotes and mountain lions but elk, moose and bighorns. Fences are put up to funnel animals into or onto the bridges/tunnels. The passes (over or under) save human lives and benefit wildlife populations (benefitting hunters). Despite the feeble attempts at humor by many posters, they are involved projects that benefit everyone and many are funded (all or in part) by private contributions by groups like Conservation Northwest.

California does them for the San Joaquin kit fox (a highly threatened species in the arid parts of the Central Valley.) Kit foxes don't like underpasses because coyotes ambush them there.

Not really much difference than salmon underpasses (culverts). BTW salmonids don't like dark, round underpasses but prefer brighter, square concrete culverts.

happyguy likes this.
  14. Nemesis.

Nemesis.

By all means. Let's enable those bums.

Better idea. Build more jails. I've been through the Mojave several times. There's plenty of land there. Build fenced in compounds like Sheriff Joe used with great success. Force march the bums/squatters/addicts and feed them a meal a day of PB&J and water.

Forget making their illegal home tolerable. Make their lives intolerable until they 1) straighten up or 2) leave the country.

I would much rather build a highway for the Delta Smelt Horn of Unicorn than waste a single dime on dope addict bums.

15. P99er

P99er MGTOW??

I'm alright with it. It may even save human lives if it keeps animals from crossing the highway.

Lagamor likes this.
  16. Boo Berry

Boo Berry

You know in the old days there would have been two bridges... one for the male wildlife, and one for the females. Thankfully California is enlightened enough to build a singularly inclusive transgender crossing. Would want to offend any confused squirrels.

rock_castle likes this.
  17. Guss

Guss