California to build bridge FOR USE BY WILDLIFE over highway

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by cowboy1964, Aug 20, 2019.

1. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

https://apnews.com/d0bd2e4232dc4952a1db399afb257cd3

Human waste and mountains of trash and plague from rats in the big cities is fine so long as we build bridges so the critters can find dates.

Please coastal California, can you just secede from the United States already?

VIS07 and railfancwb like this.
  2. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

rest assured, they will include the necessary signage in various animal languages to guide the critters to the bridge...

3. fastbolt

fastbolt

A longer perspective of the mountain lion question in CA.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article182397016.html

I wonder if anyone will be surprised if the proposed animal bridge may end up becoming a wild animal highway, attracting and bringing more wild animals into the lives of people in the city. All those domesticated pets would be menu items.

Rellik likes this.
  4. NAZG26

NAZG26 Lost in transit

That bridge will end up being another squat spot for the bevy of homeless street poopers that infest the liberal hellhole.

Patchman, Atomic Punk and rock_castle like this.
  5. thewitt

thewitt

History shows that wildlife bridges don't work.

Underpasses dug under the highway, 12-20 feet wide with clear drainage so there is no muddy buildup does work, but bridges, not so much.

6. thx1138jtx2

thx1138jtx2

A lot of these in Colorado already. But not in the city. Not bad idea from conservation point of view.

Bill Keith and Lagamor like this.
  7. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

Wouldn't it make more sense to just build a bridge over the bare ground that cars drive over and animals walk under, than building a bridge over a highway not knowing if animals would ever use it??

This is why I don't trust liberals' opinions on anything.

8. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

Need to let the Mountain Lions and Bears to cross and come in to clean up the mess.

Rellik and railfancwb like this.
  9. Lil

Lil

Europe has been doing this for decades. Wildlife bridges and underpasses are found along the Trans Canada Highway, NE US, WA, MT, CO. They've greatly reduced mortality/injury (animal and human) due to vehicular collisions (very costly...sorry, body shops!) and have been great for the animal gene pool. The impact of our slicing and dicing of their corridors/habitat is not to be underestimated. Reps from many countries have come to North America, esp Canada, to learn of the sound efficacy. Bravo!

10. TxGun

TxGun

Yeah, land bridges are pretty common in many areas and have definitely proven to be beneficial to wildlife migration and to reducing wildlife/auto collisions. I'm all for them. But as others have pointed out, California has so many other bigger, more serious, issues that you have to question their priorities. JMHO.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    pipedreams and tuica like this.
  11. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

The current crop of Coyotes that ply their trade in the Presidio, Land's End and Golden Gate Park, came across the Golden Gate Bridge from Marin County. They actually have Coyote Zero (as it were, they were hunted to extinction before that) on film coming across the GGB.

Just another commuter. :)

We used to see as many as 4 at a time out at night on our street, commuting between the Presidio and Lands End. They sure took care of the feral cat population. We didn't see a lot Racoons either. :)

We did have one cougar that got over, but I think animal care and control took care of him pretty quickly.

12. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I would be discriminatory not to.

G26-Has-my-6 likes this.
  13. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Not quite the same situation, but we have a section of highway a few miles out of town that runs skew to a deer migration route. It's 2 lanes each way with Jersey walls at the median and intermittent shoulders, climbing a small pass. There have been some pretty epic wrecks involving deer, airborne deer, multiple vehicles, etc... and a few really bad ones with deer in head-on traffic, before the walls went in.

A few years ago the county constructed a series of tunnels under the highway. I think that substantially reduced the deer-related accidents.

Lagamor likes this.
  14. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

I am thinking there are a bunch of those animal overpasses along Highway 80 in eastern Nevada to allow animals to pass over the freeway.

Edited to add: yup, here is one of them (Nevada animal overpass). My search uncovered tons of these things all over.
    [​IMG]

15. Rotn1

Rotn1

I think you guys may be missing the master plan.

Build a wild animal bridge(s) to attract Cougars and Bears into the homeless section of the cities.
    Rinse and repeat.

Animals have an immediate food source, homelessness and their associated problems disappear gradually.

IamtheNRA, VIS07, treg and 3 others like this.
  16. railfancwb

railfancwb

Prince Edward Island in Canada was ferry or other boat access only until somewhat recently. Island reportedly had no snakes. They built a nice bridge and probably now have snakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Rotn1

Rotn1

I remember when the Germans were building a steel mill in Mobile, about 2007. The EPA made them build turtle tunnels (culverts) through the property so the turtles would not have to cross the roads used by all the heavy equipment. It was not proportionally costly given the $7b cost of this facility, but it did set the project back to find work-arounds and get approvals.

We were digging a new slitter pit in York PA and hit and underground aquifer at 35 feet. The solution is to injection grout to seal the flow, but while you are doing that you have to find something to do with all of the water. Given this was effectively pure spring water we were releasing it gradually into the local stream.
    NOPE! NOPE! NOPE! Pennsylvania EPA said it may kill the local frog population. Project set back 3 weeks and cost overruns of $250K to bring water handling equipment.
    Water treatment facility wouldn't take the water because it was too clean, too much and unnecessary EPA wouldn't allow us to release the water because it was too "dirty". Ah the pleasures of dealing with bureaucrats.

pipedreams and PBCounty like this.
  18. PatinAz

PatinAz

Tucson has one over a busy road, mostly used by mulies, and the highways in the northern part of the state have underpasses for elk.

19. Lazy R

Lazy R

We have one of those up north of Missoula. Also a handful of the culvert style jobs down here in the valley. With the fences herding them to the culverts, there are far fewer deer hit on 93 now.

South of Hamilton there's a good sized elk herd. Once in a while they migrate across the highway; there are so many of them they post it on facebook and on the news, watch out for all the elk on the road!

[​IMG]

Rotn1, pipedreams, tuica and 2 others like this.
  20. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

If you’re defining the entire state, or even the coastal area, by a few cities, you’re obviously a sheltered rube who has never been there.