California suing ATF to make 80% illegal nationwide

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Timmytmma, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Timmytmma

Timmytmma

Has anyone else heard that California is suing the ATF to make 80%ers illegal nationwide. I just saw a YT video on it under the channel "Reno May".

He says that California is attempting to make it illegal to sell 80% lowers/frames throughout the nation based on the reasoning "if you can put an IKEA shelf together then you can make your own gun".

This is an FYI in case anyone wanted to research this that is in a position to make a lot more people aware so there is a chance to fight it.

2. Simi_gun_guy

Simi_gun_guy

IIRC, SAF already has a lawsuit against the useless, unqualified Kalifornia AG Basura, specifically over this issue.
    Anything Alan Gottleib sues this pos-AG over is automatically a good idea.
    IMHO

Ed

CAcop likes this.

3. RPMSTL

RPMSTL

Putting together an IKEA product is much harder than building an 80.

Have you ever tried to read the instructions on that crap?

4. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

Pray Biden/Harris don't win.

NoJoy, GlockyQ, NewWaveGuy and 5 others like this.
  5. CAcop

CAcop

A lot of the guns taken off crooks these days are 80% lowers.

It drove me nuts when they entered the SN of the slide and barrel rather than leave the SN as none.

I had visions of some poor **** in Kansas getting his Glock he bought from "Steve at work a few years go" getting run and it comes back as stolen because someone took the upper off and swapped it out for tacticool parts. The upper then ends up getting sold on eBay and pings around the world before it gets pulled off a gang banger in Oakland.

-JCN-, fastbolt and IAhunter like this.
  6. NAZG26

NAZG26 Lost in transit

I
    H8
    Commiefornia

7. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

Hole place line secure together
    Align C tab secure fastnear
    Pin side Z by end to pannel edge midpuint

8. Glocker Rob

Glocker Rob

This is what happened to me about six months ago.

I got woken up by a not so nice dispatcher saying my gun was recovered on some gang member. I called the deputy back, who told me said gangster had a 80% pistol with the upper slide of a Glock stripped frame I bought a while ago.

Learned my lesson.....no more stripped frames.

-JCN- likes this.
  9. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

ill invest in a good startup making 79% lowers

BlackJack24, 540mope and AK_Stick like this.
  10. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    I plan to undercut you offering 75% lowers.

BlackJack24, 540mope and pgg00 like this.
  11. fastbolt

fastbolt

CA has had a Ghost Gun/80% law in effect for a couple of years. The period for applying and registering a unique serial number/marking on a 80% firearm with the state's DOJ is past, so anyone who is found with one who hasn't registered it and done the required paperwork will be in violation of the law and have it confiscated. I've learned of some violations that have resulted in a couple of arrests and prosecutions this year. Both involved convicted felons, of course, so the 80% violations were just icing on the cake for charges.

12. fastbolt

fastbolt

Oh yeah, and this is the first rumor I've heard spread about how CA is supposedly trying to "sue" a federal regulatory agency to make 80% lowers illegal at the national level.

I have no idea of how something like that could even remotely occur.

What's next, someone claims a state is going to sue the IRS because it doesn't like the regulations in the federal tax code? :p

Now, if some anti-gun president were to think that he/she could use his/her phone and pen to enact an EO that outlawed something that Congress and the Senate wouldn't legislate against? Well, stranger things have happened.

13. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

What requires gun owners once we buy a legal product to forever be on the lookout for any legislation that would effect what we bought years ago ?? I dont think a legal case can be made for brace owners or ar pistol owners or people that bought 30 round magazines years ago to constantly be on the lookout for law changes.
    Cars made before seat belts dont have to add them to be legal. A vcr that has no copy guard protection is still legal to use as you see fit. A business without handicap access does not suddenly have to be redone. In fact milwaukee courthouse is not legal to handicap access. As long as its left alone its ok.
    So the 94 crime bill did not effect people that owned 30 round mags or guns with pistol grips or bayonet mounts.
    So what legal authority can you be charged with an illegal gun that was legal when you bought or built it ?

14. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

my advertising will consist of me letting potential buyers know they get 4% more product with me than you

BlackJack24 and AK_Stick like this.